Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroytwohawks View Post
The picture with the black in it is just showing the cushion liner in the case with out a kindle in it.
THANKS. That's now more apparent (after you spelled it out).

Any idea of how the k3 is held in the case - pure friction? I don't see attachment points.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #17
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
I just bought the M-Edge Latitude jacket. I decided to go with it because I have the option of just throwing it in the case really quick without strapping it down since it zips up closed, or I can strap it in and read it in the cover. It's like a cover, and a sleeve all in one. It's also really light weight(I tried it out at Best Buy). Plus, I bought it for 20% off by using the It Pays To Share promo(Here's a link if you're interested http://app.medgestore.com/promos/paystoshare/).
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #18
gca3020
gca3020 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have the Kindle Official Lighted Case and love it, but I'm a sucker for good leather, so I've been hinting to my Fiancé that I'd like an Oberon case for Christmas, so hopefully I'll have one of those in a few weeks!
gca3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #19
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Oberon cases are the most beautiful IMO. I would have one if I hadn't wanted the integrated light of the Amazon cover so badly. I do most of my reading in bed so a light was a must and I didn't want to use a clip-on.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #20
RedNara
RedNara began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wow thanks so much for all the input! And oh my.. Oberon is wonderful; however, ... Wow that cover cost an awful lot of money.

Btw I needed a case that would not break or make the kindle fall out when it's being shaked... Because what I'm planning in having the kindle on the treadmill with the case while I'm jogging.

The default amazon case looks decent; however, those hinges look like they can break the kindle....
RedNara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #21
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNara View Post
snip

The default amazon case looks decent; however, those hinges look like they can break the kindle....
Which is why you get the smak-dab.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #22
RedNara

Oh my.. So the kindle case is not expensive enough? might need 2 smak dab to hold my kindle properly...
Old 12-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #23
gca3020
gca3020 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Yeah, the Oberon case is certainly a luxury item, and one I would probably not in a million years buy for myself. But that's what Christmas is for, right?
gca3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #24
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNara View Post
Oh my.. So the kindle case is not expensive enough? might need 2 smak dab to hold my kindle properly...
The Smak-Dab is inexpensive and is insurance against inquisitive people who may try to open the case from the back. That could crack the case of your Kindle. I believe any case that attaches at the spine may have similar issues.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:51 AM   #25
RedNara

I personally like the feel of the Amazon cases over the M-Edge cases. Not only that the Oberon case looks AMAZING! However, it looks too big... I'm needing a case which I can take to the gym and run on the treadmill with.

My only thing about the smak-dab is that... Do you think it will leave some kind of mark on my Kindle? Am I better off just getting a cheap light M-Edge Go! Jacket... And then get a clip to clip on the covers, so it won't flap around when I'm jogging lol... This will probably provide enough protection so when I'm carrying the Kindle around it won't scratch it, and will provide enough weight so the kindle won't fall of the treadmill.

What do you guys think? Any suggestion? Or am I still better off getting the Kindle case with Smak-Dab? The kindle case does seem better for folding your cover backwards...

Arg I need some help!

Last edited by RedNara; 12-12-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:57 AM   #26
RedNara

Ok... Now I'm also looking into a silicone cases as well! So if anyone knows any cheap silicone case that fits tight, let me know!

Also does anyone have any experience with these?
http://www.octovo.com/product.aspx?cid=72&pid=36

It looks pretty nice. However, I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend 24.99 dollars on it.

Also what's the whole deal about Kindle 3 with the hinge thing? So if I open it from the wrong side it will break the hinges? Also with the smak dab do you think it will be find to put the Kindle 3 with the lighted case on a treadmill. It's obviously going to constantly shake the kindle a little... Do you think will cause problem for the Kindle and the hinge in the long run?

Last edited by RedNara; 12-12-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Oberon cases are worth every penny I spent on them. They are gorgeous and offer really good protection. But they are expensive.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #28
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Someone posted a review of that Octovo light, either here or another kindle forum. They liked it and said it did a good job of lighting.

The hinged case uses two metal curved "pins" that fit into slots on the left side of the kindle's edge. So leverage by pulling the back cover and kindle strains that edge. The "pins" are flat blades - there are pictures on their site, I believe.

Not running on a treadmill, I don't know how bouncy it becomes. Since I get "sea sick" in a car I don't think I could read on a treadmill. The Amazon lighted cover does add some heft to the unit so it might stay still.

I don't think the smak-dab will mar the kindle. It is a vinyl coats metal - it can be tweaked by bending to loosen/tighten its grasp.

I'm still thinking about that metal case noted above. Just for placing the kindle in my hiking pack on summer outings.

One potential warning, the Amazon UNlighted case seems to be implicated in reboot issues. There are some threads about that.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #29
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
I made a list of cover/case/sleeve and "how to make your own" links at:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub...EWlUWDPU&pli=1

Once you get past the first bit about my looking for an Ectaco JBL case most of the how to make your own linkswere for the kindle.... and most of the cover/case/sleeve sites were for the kindle, nook, sony, kobo, ipad rather than a JBL

Last edited by tomereader; 12-12-2010 at 12:15 PM.
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #30
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomereader View Post
I made a list of cover/case/sleeve and "how to make your own" links at:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub...EWlUWDPU&pli=1

Once you get past the first bit about my looking for an Ectaco JBL case most of the how to make your own linkswere for the kindle.... and most of the cover/case/sleeve sites were for the kindle, nook, sony, kobo, ipad rather than a JBL
Such a list would be wonderful to have since this "what case should I get" question comes up quite often. I was unable to access your list, however - the link lead to a page asking me to sign into my Google account so it would probably lead to my Google documents (which don't exist,) not the document you wanted to share with us.

Like others here, I love my Oberon leather cover, but for many I can see why it would be considered too self-indulgent because of the expense. Well worth it in my mind, and very protective of the Kindle, but....

That aluminum case linked to us by TSV looks as if it might be the one for all of those looking for a hard protective cover. I too wonder how the Kindle is secured to the case. Also, does the front cover fold all the way back so the Kindle can be held in the hand, or is is just for using the Kindle in a stand? It appears that the front cover has a lip on it in order to fit over the Kindle...I wonder how comfortable this would be if the case and Kindle can be held in one hand for reading. You'll have to let us know when you get it, TSV!

Holly

Last edited by OakIris; 12-13-2010 at 11:02 AM.
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote