Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Bluetooth Pairing

I'm trying to transfer a book I bought from the kobo store today from my blackberry curve 8330 to the kobo reader using bluetooth. Has anyone successfully paired their kobo with a blackberry? The instructions on the reader tell you to launch your kobo app from your blackberry then navigate to the 'more' section and choose 'sync with kobo eReader' however I cannot find that link anywhere in the App. My Blackberry can find the reader just fine.

(edit) yes I have the latest kobo software on my BB.

Last edited by Duiker; 05-01-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add something
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
jcornet
jcornet began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo e-reader
I had to upgrade the kobo blackberry software from the More menu before the sync option appears.
As well, I couldn't pair the reader from the Setup Bluetooth menu on the blackberry, I had to do it from the kobo app.

But once it's setup it works fine
jcornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcornet View Post
I had to upgrade the kobo blackberry software from the More menu before the sync option appears.
As well, I couldn't pair the reader from the Setup Bluetooth menu on the blackberry, I had to do it from the kobo app.

But once it's setup it works fine
Grrrr. Whenever I select check for update it just tells me that I have the most current software.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
jcornet

Which version of the kobo blackberry software are you running ?
Is it 2.x or 3.0 ?

As well, do you have any books in your blackberry kobo library ? It won't sync if there's no book to sync (grab a free ebook to test)
Old 05-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Which version of the kobo blackberry software are you running ?
Is it 2.x or 3.0 ?

As well, do you have any books in your blackberry kobo library ? It won't sync if there's no book to sync (grab a free ebook to test)
Running kobo 3.0 and yes I have a brand new purchased kobo book that I am trying to sync.
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
SeptemberWasp
SeptemberWasp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'm having the exact same issue but I have yet to purchase a book. I grabbed a free one in an attempt to resolve this issue but the wording in that error seemed to indicate that I required a purchased one.

I'm running kobo 3 software on a OS5 Blackberry 9000.
SeptemberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
jcornet

OK, here's what I did:
  • I had attempted to pair the kobo eReader using the BlackBerry's Bluetooth setup menu. The BlackBerry recognizes the eReader successfully, but the eReader doesn't seem to be paired.
  • So I removed the pairing from the bluetooth menu, and tried to do it from the Kobo app
  • In the Kobo App, the More menu (the 3 dots) has the following options:
    Purchased, Transfer books to Kobo eReader, Help, Settings, Check for Updates, Sign out
  • With the eReader not paired to the phone, I went to the sync option of the eReader, it says "Starting bluetooth"
  • I pressed Transfer books to Kobo eReader on the BlackBerry app, and followed the instructions; it first paired with the eReader, then transfered the book I had added

Where in the process does it fail for you guys ?
You can't see the Transfer option in the app or the Transfer option doesn't work ?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
OK, here's what I did:
  • I had attempted to pair the kobo eReader using the BlackBerry's Bluetooth setup menu. The BlackBerry recognizes the eReader successfully, but the eReader doesn't seem to be paired.
  • So I removed the pairing from the bluetooth menu, and tried to do it from the Kobo app
  • In the Kobo App, the More menu (the 3 dots) has the following options:
    Purchased, Transfer books to Kobo eReader, Help, Settings, Check for Updates, Sign out
  • With the eReader not paired to the phone, I went to the sync option of the eReader, it says "Starting bluetooth"
  • I pressed Transfer books to Kobo eReader on the BlackBerry app, and followed the instructions; it first paired with the eReader, then transfered the book I had added

Where in the process does it fail for you guys ?
You can't see the Transfer option in the app or the Transfer option doesn't work ?
In my kobo app there is no option to "transfer books to kobo eReader". I've tried deleting the app and reinstalling but I'm still not getting the option. I've e-mailed the kobo help people but have not heard anything yet.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
jcornet

You are signed in, right ?
What options show up in the More menu ?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
You are signed in, right ?
What options show up in the More menu ?
yep signed in. The MORE options gives me - Purchased, Help, Settings, Check For Update, and Sign Out. I tried the check for updates and it says I have the current version 3.0 running. I've re-installed the App 3 times now with still no luck.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
somecanuck
Enthusiast
somecanuck is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Will it really only work with Blackberry? I don't see why it shouldn't sync with any Bluetooth device.
somecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecanuck View Post
Will it really only work with Blackberry? I don't see why it shouldn't sync with any Bluetooth device.
Try it and find out. I'm having enough trouble with BB though.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
jameswu
Kobo
jameswu began at the beginning.

Hi everyone,
Quick introduction - I work for Kobo, and was directly involved in the design and implementation of this sync feature on BB.

Unfortunately, we encountered an issue with BB OS4.5 that made the syncing process unreliable. We made a last minute decision late last week to remove the feature on this OS. The eReader had already shipped, so the documentation could not be updated.

We have been told that a fix for the OS that will address the issue will be available by mid May, but obviously have no control over that. When it is available, we will be able to re-enable the feature for devices running OS4.5.

Hope that helps,

James

p.s. Opinions I may share here are my own and shouldn't be considered as an 'official' Kobo response.
jameswu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
jameswu
Kobo
jameswu began at the beginning.

Somecanuck,
Right now it only works with Blackberry. We have not implemented the workflows for supporting the selection and transfer of the books on any other devices.

James
jameswu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswu View Post
Hi everyone,
Quick introduction - I work for Kobo, and was directly involved in the design and implementation of this sync feature on BB.

Unfortunately, we encountered an issue with BB OS4.5 that made the syncing process unreliable. We made a last minute decision late last week to remove the feature on this OS. The eReader had already shipped, so the documentation could not be updated.

We have been told that a fix for the OS that will address the issue will be available by mid May, but obviously have no control over that. When it is available, we will be able to re-enable the feature for devices running OS4.5.

Hope that helps,

James

p.s. Opinions I may share here are my own and shouldn't be considered as an 'official' Kobo response.

Thank you for letting me know. However that is pretty disappointing news and even more disappointing that kobo hasn't made any effort to let people know on their website. I really hope it gets updated ASAP.