Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
maranium
maranium began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Mini
Resolution problem

I have a bit of an odd problem. I have many books, converted from cbr to epub, that I have used on all my previous Kobos. They have worked wonderfully, but when I bought a Kobo Glo a couple days ago, and tried loading them on, the images appear smaller. The Glo, with its higher resolution then previous incarnations, does not appear to be scaling the images to fit the screen. I have tried reconverting a book, using different settings, and it always ends up the same, big white borders on the sides and below the image. I have also been in touch with Kobo, who seem to be misunderstanding my problem. I don't think it is an issue with the books, I think the image size for an epub is the same no matter what. Any suggestions/inputs?
maranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't know that much about the comic conversions, but...

Did you choose "Kobo Reader" for the output profile? If so, the images will be converted to smaller than would be ideal for the Glo. Try the KindleDX output, as it sets comic resolution to 771*1116. Or use Tablet as that doesn't change the size of the images at all.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
maranium

Hey I just tried that and it partly works! The only problem is that tablet is still kinda too small, and DX is too big. Just need to find one in between, or hope that a proper output setting will be made
Old 10-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by maranium View Post
Hey I just tried that and it partly works! The only problem is that tablet is still kinda too small, and DX is too big. Just need to find one in between, or hope that a proper output setting will be made
Open an enhancement request. If possible do include the resolution needed.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
maranium

This seems to be the only way to go, except it will cause my library to grow in size by perhaps a little too much. I already use a 32 GB SD card, filled with about 23 GB of books this style. I think I am going to have to give up on using a Kobo Glo
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I took a quick look through an older version of calibre's source.

Here are the Profiles and screen sizes

Spoiler:

Code:
	Line 225: class OutputProfile(Plugin):
	Line 239:     comic_screen_size = (584, 754)
	Line 273: class iPadOutput(OutputProfile):
	Line 280:     comic_screen_size = (768, 1024)
	Line 435: class iPad3Output(iPadOutput):
	Line 437:     screen_size = comic_screen_size = (2048, 1536)
	Line 444: class TabletOutput(iPadOutput):
	Line 450:     comic_screen_size = (10000, 10000)
	Line 452: class SamsungGalaxy(TabletOutput):
	Line 457:     screen_size = comic_screen_size = (600, 1280)
	Line 476: class KoboReaderOutput(OutputProfile):
	Line 484:     comic_screen_size         = (536, 710)
	Line 498: class SonyReader900Output(SonyReaderOutput):
	Line 505:     screen_size               = (600, 999)
	Line 506:     comic_screen_size = screen_size
	Line 515: class GenericEinkLarge(GenericEink):
	Line 521:     screen_size               = (600, 999)
	Line 522:     comic_screen_size = screen_size
	Line 533: class SonyReaderLandscapeOutput(SonyReaderOutput):
	Line 542:     comic_screen_size         = (784, 1012)
	Line 588: class CybookG3Output(OutputProfile):
	Line 596:     comic_screen_size         = (600, 757)
	Line 641: class KindleDXOutput(OutputProfile):
	Line 650:     comic_screen_size = (771, 1116)
	Line 665: class KindleFireOutput(KindleDXOutput):
	Line 673:     comic_screen_size = (570, 1016)
	Line 681: class IlliadOutput(OutputProfile):
	Line 688:     comic_screen_size         = (760, 925)
	Line 693: class IRexDR1000Output(OutputProfile):
	Line 702:     comic_screen_size         = (996, 1241)
	Line 707: class IRexDR800Output(OutputProfile):
	Line 716:     comic_screen_size         = (768, 1024)
	Line 721: class NookOutput(OutputProfile):
	Line 730:     comic_screen_size         = (584, 730)
	Line 735: class NookColorOutput(NookOutput):
	Line 741:     comic_screen_size         = (594, 900)
	Line 744: class BambookOutput(OutputProfile):
	Line 754:     comic_screen_size         = (540, 700)
	Line 759: class PocketBook900Output(OutputProfile):
	Line 766:     screen_size               = (810, 1180)
	Line 768:     comic_screen_size         = screen_size

Why not have more than one SD card?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
maranium

The Glo is 758 x 1024. So close. And yeah, can always have another SD card, just not preferable.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
maranium

Actually it appears I can convert the books to PDF, at the correct resolution. Then it work on both old and new devices, and doesn't seem to increase the file size by any detrimental amount
Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I've read the rest, but this is the one I want to comment on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maranium View Post
What resolution are the images you are starting with? The "Tablet" profile shouldn't change the size at all. And I thought the KindleDX would shrink them, but not enlarge them.

I had a look through the current source and found:

- iPad - 768*1024
- GenericEinkLarge - 600*999

And as PeterT said, put in an enhancement request for a size you think is right.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
SeigneurAo
Connoisseur
SeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the endSeigneurAo knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Glo
Maybe the Kobo can handle 64Gb cards ?
SeigneurAo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
maranium

So far converting cbrs to pdf has worked for getting over the screen issue. But the new problem I am running into is changing epubs into pdf. A lot of my library was changed into epubs, and then i deleted the old cbrs to save hard drive space. Now i can't seem to convert them in a way that will expand the images to fill the screen, even if i convert them into epub for a larger device
Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
With the ePub files, it would've converted then to 600x800 resolution pictures, so up scaling them won't work well. You needed the original files to let you create a 758x1024 version. Not much I can suggest except to live with the pictures being smaller, unless you kept backups of the originals somewhere.

And the Glo is specked up to 32gb MicroSD cards only, ATM.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote