Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 02:08 AM   #16
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLenx View Post

But lets face it, in a digital reading environment like the Kindle, the ONLY thing that makes sense is SCREENS - what screen am I on out of how many screens in the entire ebook (based up my current font settings). How obvious can that be? After all that is how a physical book works. Certainly this is true for over 90% of what most of us are reading on our Kindles - novels. If Amazon truly wants to make reading on the Kindle as close to reading a physical book as possible, then it is a no brainer - SCREENS should be the standard - not locations not ISBN pages and not percentage.

Yes I know changing the font settings will alter the screen count, but big deal, you simply have new screen numbers to track your progress. I don't know about anyone else, but I have been using ereaders for nearly four years now and I have NEVER EVER EVER changed the font size. I found what is comfortable for me and leave it there. And in those four years I have never had to get someone else to go to the same "page" or "location" I was on to discuss a book we are both reading - we simply discuss the book.

So lets put in a settings option that lets you select what the user wants displayed at the bottom of each screen - and please make SCREENS one of those options. And make the MENU button show us the other figures available - location, ISBN page, percentage.

UPDATE: I sent Amazon feedback on the 3.1 upgrade expressing my feelings on having a screen count added to 3.1 or to a future upgrade or if not possible then to the next generation Kindle. If you feel the same way, let them know.
I too want to have screens. That seems logical and meaningful for an ereader. This may be computationally too expensive to calculate. To accurately determine the number of screens, you have to pretty much parse and format the entire book out. But hey, that's why you pay them programmers.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #17
graff_king
Enthusiast
graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.graff_king once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook STR, Kindle 3 wifi, i4s, htc evo, BB 9810, moto xoom,NC
I agree with having the kindle housing painted. I am actually debating buying a broken one or a second one to disassemble and paint. I remember the old nokia phones with all the different faceplates, made a fair amount of money doing custom ones. i have been doing painting/graffiti/airbrushing for 15+ years.
graff_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 03:15 AM   #18
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Screens is definitely not that hard to do, PocketBook does that already.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:56 AM   #19
the-equinoxe
Hardware Tweaker
the-equinoxe began at the beginning.

Device: K3-Wifi
Definitely add an oleophobic coating to the screen.
The screen is a dirt-magnet.
When I compare it with nano/oleophobic-coated screens, the kindle screen looses.
the-equinoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:11 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Add EPUB.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #21
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Remove the percentage bar entirely until required, the loss of the locations is a good start mind...Have sent feedback to Amazon
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I would change location of the back button! I don't how many times I hit the thing when using the 5-way keys. Perhaps make the 5-way keys bigger (not Kobo reader big) just a little easier to push.

I would also like it instead of having to hit the down key on the 5-way to scroll down the book list to be able to his a letter key that the book starts with and it move down to the first books that starts with that letter. Just like Windows explorer does.

I would also love when I get to an end of a list of books that the next hit on the down key would go automatically back up to the top or if at the top of the list the next hit on the up key would go all the way to the bottom. This would keep the keys from wearing out. It's tedious when adding books to a collection all the scrolling you have to do when these simple shortcuts could save time and frustration.

Sub collections would be nice too!

Those are the only things I can think of that I would change.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #23
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Sub collections would be nice too!
This is something I'm personal at a complete lost at as to why this is missing. I mean come on Amazon is the 3rd gen !

Maybe they're saving it as a new ''feature'' for the 4th gen.

/rent off

<3
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #24
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Add EPUB.

Ah yes, I keep forgetting about that one - would be a nice addition!
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #25
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I've had my Kindle for less than a week, but I wish the "on" button was on the top instead of at the bottom. The case I use has a slot for accessing the bottom, but it is awkward to reach in and slide the switch.

Coming from a Sony, I'd prefer if the screen either went blank or showed the cover of the current book that I am reading, even if that particular book has only a generic cover.

I haven't done much with it yet and those are the only things that have stood out to me in the past few days.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #26
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Epub support.. Pleeeease...
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #27
grownupboy
Enthusiast
grownupboy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
love my k3 but i really wish the build quality was "a bit" better. my friend has a new sony prs-350 and it makes the kindle look like a cheap piece of plastic.

of course, i'd take the kindle's shopping ecosystem any day of the week!
g
grownupboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #28
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Adding EPub would be nice if only to stop the bitching about the lack of EPub.

Being able to customize the screen savers would be nice.

ummmm

Yeah that is about it. Short of color e-ink which may or may not happen...
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #29
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
LIBRARY EBOOKS!!!

And move the on/off switch. I hold mine with my pinkie finger propping up the bottom. I hit the switch every time.
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #30
djb132
djb132 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLenx View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I have been using ereaders for nearly four years now and I have NEVER EVER EVER changed the font size.
For general reading I also never change the font size. However, I do increase the size when sharing with someone (e.g. the readings during Mass).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Add EPUB.
Or at least start supporting more features that EPUB has. Like Tables!

I also would like Alt+Back = Forward. This would be very handy when wanting to "flip" back and forth between 2 things, such as footnotes and the text.
djb132 is offline   Reply With Quote