Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
pakiyabhai
Zealot
pakiyabhai began at the beginning.

Device: pakiyabhai
Digital Reader not reading any sdcards

I am stuck in a bit of a soup , my irex refuses to read any sdcard attached to it.

1. I formatted the card - fat32 , nothing, restart reader
2. I put the latest firmware 1.7.1 , nothing,restart reader
3. I put the contents of the card as irex has put it on their website , nothing ,restart reader
4. I repeat 1,2,3 with another sdcard nothing reader
5. I connect it to my pc via usb , nothing is detected.

What should i do ?

Last edited by pakiyabhai; 12-06-2009 at 03:55 PM.
pakiyabhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
Does it still read the 1 GB SD card that came with the device?
The DR1000 only reads normal SD cards. Cards with higher capacity are mostly SDHC cards, which are not supported. A lot of older/slower SDHC type cards can be used. My Sandisc 4GB cards works just fine.

If it doesn't read the original SD card, the SD card reader inside the device has broken. Better contact iRex Support in that case.
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
pakiyabhai
Zealot

Nope it doesn't read the original SD card reader too pauli .. I have already contacted them .Keeping my finger crossed now.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
If you put the card in the slot did you try (from the menu) setting up the card for the reader, under "Settings" and "SD Card Properties" ?

It may just kick it into life, also, a long charge and reset may help too.

H
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Also, (just a long shot) can the cards be read by any other device?
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
pakiyabhai
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
If you put the card in the slot did you try (from the menu) setting up the card for the reader, under "Settings" and "SD Card Properties" ?

It may just kick it into life, also, a long charge and reset may help too.

H

Well that option is grayed out .

@ tjdean256 - my card works fine with my camera and a usb device , so the fault might be in the sdcard reader
Old 12-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
pakiyabhai
Zealot

btw good news is that irex is willing to examine the device under warranty ! I am just waiting for them to provide me next steps. Wow

But till that time I would have to buy me a new one
Old 12-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Well, at the very least, it's good news from irex and if the option to ready the SD card is greyed out, it suggests the card reader element or the card is faulty. If you've tried so many cards, it would appear a fault has occurred.

H
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
Kent Walters
Connoisseur
Kent Walters has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR1000S, Astak EZreader (Hanlin V3)
Did you say FAT 32? Try Fat 16. The DR, along with most other readers, doesn't understand FAT 32.

Good Luck!
Kent Walters
Kent Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
pakiyabhai
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Walters View Post
Did you say FAT 32? Try Fat 16. The DR, along with most other readers, doesn't understand FAT 32.

Good Luck!
Kent Walters
I did try it again today , it didn't work Kent !
Old 12-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
pakiyabhai
Zealot

well right now the only pain in the a$$ is the fact that I am in china , irex (being very fair I tell you) , told me I had purchased the device in UK from liberesco , so I need to deliver it to Liberesco(Peter) , or a $75 charge to send the device which doesn't include customs, damn china !

I am so confused.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #12
Kent Walters
Connoisseur
Kent Walters has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR1000S, Astak EZreader (Hanlin V3)
pakiyabhai,

Assuming that you've tried a reset and charge, per pthwaite's advice, the only other thing I can think of is to try re-installing the firmware (it's at least worth a try). It does sound like a hardware problem, but I too am confused; China will charge customs duty to ship your own property for repair?

I hope iRex will be of more help—it kind of sounds like you're hosed... sorry.
Kent Walters

PS
Have you tried formatting the card with the DR?

Kent

Last edited by Kent Walters; 12-09-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added PS
Kent Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:50 AM   #13
Jiang
Enthusiast
Jiang is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle HD 8.9
sth wrong, and don't know how to delete it.

Last edited by Jiang; 12-10-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Jiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:49 AM   #14
pakiyabhai
Zealot

Quote:
pakiyabhai,

Assuming that you've tried a reset and charge, per pthwaite's advice, the only other thing I can think of is to try re-installing the firmware (it's at least worth a try). It does sound like a hardware problem, but I too am confused; China will charge customs duty to ship your own property for repair?

I hope iRex will be of more help—it kind of sounds like you're hosed... sorry.
Kent Walters

PS
Have you tried formatting the card with the DR?

Kent

I don't know how to even try a firmware upgrade or degrade without the sdcard . .

Yes thats true , they are going to charge me for my OWN property repaird, worst if the custom office needs to understand what it is in the first place. Apparently anything with a battery goes through a very through inspection. I am trying to get information from the customs here , very very tough !.

Irex is being very helpful with the whole scenario , in the first place they agreed to take the device under warranty repair when it's more than a year old (early adapter) . I can also pay them $ 75 in which they can arrange for a pick up which I think would be a better option because if i have to send it myself , these chinese Gods will charge me $150 to test the device if it's 'safe' for air transport.

So i have asked Irex , when they arrange for transport , is any testing required !

Aaargh ...

PS - worst thing is there are no bloody books here to read in the first place. Everythings mandarin mate ! Not even one single magazine anywhere
Old 12-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
That is false. All of the iRex devices work with FAT32, which seems to be standard with most other readers as well.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote