Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
claudioita
claudioita began at the beginning.

PDF documents made from scans on ebook readers?

Hi

Would like to buy a Sony Portable Reader. Before buying I have some doubt about its functions.
Living in Italy I could not find anywhere an eink reader, so I hope someone can answer me.

My question is: I have many ebook in PDF format. The ebooks are scans of regular books saved in PDF fomat (basically only an image of the pages). They are in various formats from A4 (similar to American Letter size) to smaller formats.

How does the Sony (or other machines) work with those PDF files?
Do you have the function zoom/pan ?
Will a scanned A4 page fit nicely?
If not, again, can you zoom to an acceptable level.

Thanks!
claudioita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Unfortunately, I think you would be disappointed with the results of A4 pdf's on the Sony Reader. The screen is just to small, so even in the two screens/page landscape mode, it just isn't likely to be a pleasant reading experience. Much better if you can use something like Abby FineReader to OCR the content and format it as an rtf file, or if you can reformat the pdf somehow to be something closer to a 4x6 inch page.

The Sony Reader is an amazing e-ink device, and part of the delight is the convenient size. But part of the sacrifice of that is that full page pdf's are just not that great. Zoom would help, although I don't know if it would make for a reasonable reading experience, or just a way to read bits and pieces as needed. The fact that you can (I think) zoom picture files, might indicate that such a thing is possible, but there's no word from Sony yet whether or not that's in the works for a future firmware upgrade.

Has anyone else played with images to see if they can be zoomed on the Reader?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
claudio, when you said that your PDFs contain images of the scanned books, did you mean that you didn't run them through an OCR program first? If so, you are probably out of luck with the Reader. And you wouldn't be able to resize text either (generally graphics in PDF cannot be meaningfully resized unless they are in vectorized form).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
Has anyone else played with images to see if they can be zoomed on the Reader?
Yup, you have (shocker) 3 levels of zoom on pictures, and panning function, but it's block panning, not pixelwise.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:56 AM   #5
claudioita
claudioita began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
claudio, when you said that your PDFs contain images of the scanned books, did you mean that you didn't run them through an OCR program first? If so, you are probably out of luck with the Reader. And you wouldn't be able to resize text either (generally graphics in PDF cannot be meaningfully resized unless they are in vectorized form).
Yes, exactly. Each page IS an image (no OCR). So far I am reading them with a PocketPC (Qtek 2020, I guess 3,5 Inch) and the result is not satisfying.

I have to zoom the image (THE PAGE) to the maximum width allowed by the pocketPC (in landscape mode) and then pan the image down for reading the whole page. (This way I pan the image only vertically but not horizontaly: hope I 'm clear with this!)

I think a 6 inch screen would be ok. What is not clear from the Sony website is if I can zoom the image (the page of the PDF) to fit up to the border of the screen ... and then pan the image down to read the page.

Can this be done with the Sony portable reader? If not will I have better luck with the Hanlin or Irex (the Iliad is a bit too expensive for me though) or others?

Thanks!
claudioita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:03 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, there is a "fit to page width" option for PDFs, but I think you'd still find an A4 image to be too small to read comfortably, unfortunately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudioita

I think a 6 inch screen would be ok. What is not clear from the Sony website is if I can zoom the image (the page of the PDF) to fit up to the border of the screen ... and then pan the image down to read the page.

Thanks!
The resolution and quality (sharpness) of the screen is as important as size. At smaller size than a tablet I doubt anything than 1024x600 on a sharp color lcd screen is going to work well and even then it depends.

If you need to read lots of technical stuff/non ocr'able scans I strongly recommend a tablet, and an extra battery, no existing ereader will be good enough (maybe the cybook if available again, but better get a tablet anyway, you can find very good prices on 2-3 year old ones if a new one is too expensive).

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5
If you need to read lots of technical stuff/non ocr'able scans I strongly recommend a tablet, and an extra battery, no existing ereader will be good enough (maybe the cybook if available again, but better get a tablet anyway, you can find very good prices on 2-3 year old ones if a new one is too expensive).

Liviu
No, the CyBook is only an 800x600 screen - the same as the Reader. I have one; the PDF viewer on it as a bit flaky, and very slow for complex PDFs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote