Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Device: EZReader
Question Battery trouble (I think) ?

A friend got a PRS-300, and after trying it a few times shut it off & left it on the shelf in it's cover...for a year !!!
Picked it up again and found it was dead - and gave it to me.
I looked up charging it & found some info saying it'll charge via the mini-USB so I did that overnight.
It wakes up - sort of - a USB screen comes up, then later it gets a goofy looking screen like a distorted start-up screen - then goes dead saying NO BATTERY then repeats all the above.

I'm thinking it must need a battery - and have found some online for ~$12.
The installation looks easy enough so I'd like to ask the folks here, please:
  1. Is it best to try a different way of charging it ?
  2. Are there any 'tricks' to try to help it out ?
  3. Is there a best/cheapest source for the battery ?

Thanks !
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Did you charge from a computer? Did it go to sleep while charging overnight? If it did, in sleep mode, the computer will drain the reader.

Try a wall charger.

But it is likely that the battery is dead.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
The Sony 300 does NOT charge through the mini USB port other than through your computer. For that model you have to get the Sony barrel plug charger or a generic one that works with the Sony PSP. It's the barrel plug with the yellow tip.

Using the barrel plug will allow it to charge through a wall plug and let you read at the same time.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.smallhagrid substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Lightbulb Thanks !

No - no - and so, not:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Did you charge from a computer? Did it go to sleep while charging overnight? If it did, in sleep mode, the computer will drain the reader.
Try a wall charger.
But it is likely that the battery is dead.
It was a generic mini-USB wall charger.

Hmmm...any best battery source then ?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Post OK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
The Sony 300 does NOT charge through the mini USB port other than through your computer. For that model you have to get the Sony barrel plug charger or a generic one that works with the Sony PSP. It's the barrel plug with the yellow tip.
Using the barrel plug will allow it to charge through a wall plug and let you read at the same time.
Re-trying again today via a PC which is AWAKE & will stay so.

Didn't know about the specific wall-wart needed otherwise...
I just want to know if it'll hold a charge & wake up before considering spending any $ on a battery.
(It was new & literally only ever got charged before ONE time !)

It'd be great (like the EZ Readers) if it could take a generic phone-type battery that I could get for just a few $...are there any substitutions for this battery that anyone knows of ?
(There's no point in spending any more than a few $ if this reader is scrap.)

Thanks !
Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Update:
A few hours after connecting it to the PC I went back & the reader had it's USB screen showing=> disconnected it=> watched as it woke up, and PRESTO!... a full battery indicator.
That was very fast=> almost so fast as to be spooky; makes me wonder if it is not accurately calibrated or something...I guess time will tell.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
If it does need a new battery here's a site that sells it

http://www.batterybay.net/Battery-fo...s-prd300sl.htm

Here's another site that sells it and has a video on how to change it.

http://www.newpower99.com/ProductDet...0&Show=ExtInfo
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
smallhagrid
Hillbilly

Now that it charged up OK I've already passed it along to a friend as a very nice 1st reader ever - so I'm sure I'll hear if it stops working...

Thanks Folks.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
When needed, battery replacement is easy to do. There are some diagrams and video's available for this. I had to do it some months ago when my battery died.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, prs-300