Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #16
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
I do know, that the app store detection is based upon your one-click default payment address.
Hmm, I have one-click turned off. Off to fix that up and let you know what happens.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #17
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
LOTS of solutions to that. Some free, some not. My account for my Kindle is a US account. (US bank and debit cc through RBC, accomodation address in the US.) That's all that's required for books and Kindle apps for regular Kindles. But for videos, etc., I'll need to add a VPN solution to get my IP address down to the US too. No big deal.
I am using a free IPS shielder and it is coming from the USA. I can stream videos just fine using it on my laptop (I am a Prime member) but the app store defeats me!

Grrr, I did have a USA address as the one-click after all. I get the email to download the APK but when I open that all it does it take me to the Amazon app store and I have to download all over again. If I sideload the app to an android, it is only the app to the App store and not an app in itself.

Last edited by Pushka; 11-08-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #18
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I am using a free IPS shielder and it is coming from the USA. I can stream videos just fine using it on my laptop (I am a Prime member) but the app store defeats me!

Grrr, I did have a USA address as the one-click after all. I get the email to download the APK but when I open that all it does it take me to the Amazon app store and I have to download all over again. If I sideload the app to an android, it is only the app to the App store and not an app in itself.
Don't have an android, so no way to test the app store yet. BUT, if it's giving you issues, then switch to a VPN solution instead of a proxy solution for IP shielding. That should work unless they've blocked the IP addresses from the VPN solution.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #19
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Don't have an android, so no way to test the app store yet. BUT, if it's giving you issues, then switch to a VPN solution instead of a proxy solution for IP shielding. That should work unless they've blocked the IP addresses from the VPN solution.
I subscribed to StrongVPN for 3 months and was connected fine. But Amazon still picks up I am not in the USA.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:54 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
I subscribed to StrongVPN for 3 months and was connected fine. But Amazon still picks up I am not in the USA.
Well, 8 days and I'll have an answer for you. I'm going to be in the US next week, and will pick up my Fire. Then, when I get back, I'll configure the network for VPN to the US and see what I can see.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #21
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I know you Canadians can take care of a lot of things with relatives or friends in the US. I send "gifts" all the time to a relative.

As for the IP checking, it is easy to get a free Proxy, but if you are going to use the bandwidth that streaming movies takes, it might require a paid proxy.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #22
Pushka
Wizard

Quote:
Well, 8 days and I'll have an answer for you. I'm going to be in the US next week, and will pick up my Fire. Then, when I get back, I'll configure the network for VPN to the US and see what I can see.
I would be delighted to hear of your positive news!

I have managed to use a free proxy to get the Amazon movies streamed, but for the App store - no dice!
Old 11-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Well, looks like my Fire will be waiting for me when I get to Washington. My CC just got charged.

It will still have to wait until I get back to test out the VPN solution. I'll be configuring a router to do VPN to a West Coast server. Details if it works.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #24
Pushka
Wizard

Check this: http://www.abtevrythng.com/2011/03/h...utside-us.html

Works. No VPN required. Use the App store download explained in the article. Whoop!
Old 11-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #25
flower_petals
flower_petals began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Library App

Quote:
LOTS of solutions to that. Some free, some not. My account for my Kindle is a US account. (US bank and debit cc through RBC, accomodation address in the US.) That's all that's required for books and Kindle apps for regular Kindles. But for videos, etc., I'll need to add a VPN solution to get my IP address down to the US too. No big deal.
just wondering if you can now use the oracle media console app (library app) with your american registered kindle. i have an american library card.

thanks

(you are in canada right?)
flower_petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #26
Dolorous Edd
Dolorous Edd began at the beginning.

Device: K3/Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
Has anyone heard whether or not the Amazon Android App store will be opened to Canadians? Right now, even if you get your hands on the Kindle Fire, apparently it does not allow you to download apps from the Amazon App store ...

I know (probably) that we can D/L from other 3rd party stores (the same apps), but it would be nice to have it open to us - obviously, if we buy the Fire we understand we can't use the free "streaming" portion of it, but there's no reason we should be barred from the App store (in my view, anyway).
Finally, revenge for burning down our White House.

OK, just kidding.
Dolorous Edd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #27
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower_petals View Post
just wondering if you can now use the oracle media console app (library app) with your american registered kindle. i have an american library card.

thanks

(you are in canada right?)
Don't know the app, so can't comment. But yes, I'm located in Canada, at least most of the time.

I do not have a US library card. I use the BC Provincial library system to download my eBooks (as ePubs), and then strip DRM and convert to read on my Kindle.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #28
flower_petals
flower_petals began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Don't know the app, so can't comment. But yes, I'm located in Canada, at least most of the time.

I do not have a US library card. I use the BC Provincial library system to download my eBooks (as ePubs), and then strip DRM and convert to read on my Kindle.
thanks
flower_petals is offline   Reply With Quote