Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
FrankKau
FrankKau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Anyone Buy a New Unit with 1.4 pre-installed

I just returned my unit to Walmart (Canada, British Columbia) with no problems even after several months of use at least. They unfortunately don't have any more and am not sure when they'll be carrying them again.

I'm still debating whether to get another one (or something else), and am curious when the new batch with pre-installed firmware will be distributed. I know it sounds like a silly question but are these new devices with new firmware being thoroughly tested? It's unclear to me whether the problems I and others were experiencing (lockups, etc) were due to a bad flash or a defect in the firmware itself.

I'm also curious to hear what people are experiencing with new units that have 1.4 installed previously...whenever that happens. No sense getting a perfectly good unit by mail order only to wreck it with a firmware upgrade.
FrankKau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
The "original" unit/firmware I purchased from Borders.com worked just fine. A little hiccup with the new firmware updating process - but my unit is now working fine under v1.4, too.

And you must remember that the vast majority of owners are doing just fine, too. It is human nature to scream bloody murder when you perceive a problem, yet just quietly read your eBooks when all if well.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
FrankKau
FrankKau began at the beginning.

??

There's no perception at all. It really did lock up at boot even after multiple re-flashes. Meaning it's toast. Teck support had no answers other than to return it or take a chance that a card flash would do something that the desktop one failed to do. And I wasn't he only one. The flash did go smoothly as far as I could tell, but once it powered down it never reboot.
FrankKau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
trogdor
trogdor began at the beginning.

I just received my Kobo from Chapters the other day. It came with the 1.4 firmware on it. No problems so far...
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just purchased mine at Walmart on Friday July 9th and it came with 1.4.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by trogdor View Post
I just received my Kobo from Chapters the other day. It came with the 1.4 firmware on it. No problems so far...
Ditto.

Well I did "lose" the 100 preloaded books somehow. But I had a factory reset and resync and it was fine. Not sure how that happened.
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
maggieb5555
maggieb5555 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO, Aluratek Libre
I just bought mine from Chapters store on July 9th. it has v 1.4....I had major issues with it not recognizing my purchased from Kobo epub books...was driving me crazy..came here
( to this site) got help and it is working like a charm...I had to delete the preloaded books (didnt want anyway) as soon as they were deleted voila my books were there but couldn;t read them ..it seems, for me anyway, the Kobo software when it downloads an epub with DRM it wont work...now I ONLY use ADobe software and it is working great..even got 5 library ebooks on it now....

after some major glitches , I am now very happy with KObo

Last edited by maggieb5555; 07-12-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: typos
maggieb5555 is offline   Reply With Quote