Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kindle app

Gripe on.

Am I the only one really annoyed with the font rendering on the Kindle app?

Up until recently, they had subpixel rendering activated in all screen orientations, which means that in three out of four screen orientations there were colored shadows of text. To read, I would have to force the screen into black and white (or black and sepia mode) with my Galactic Night app (which unfortunately only works on some Galaxy series devices).

Now Amazon switched the app to grayscale antialiasing, but of a really poorly implemented sort: some instances of the same letter have thicker verticals than others. It's really ugly.

So back to the old version plus Galactic Night.

But why can't they just do it right? For instance, if they used their old subpixel antialiasing algorithm and then collapsed it to black and white just before display (which is what the old version plus Galactic Night will do) then the quality would have been beautiful. I sent them an email about this and I got a weird email about how Amazon doesn't accept unsolicited ideas but they'd forward my email to their business office, and that was that.

Gripe off.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Probably not. OTOH, it really doesn't matter that much.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert