Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
removing unwanted pages ABBYY finereader

I am using ABBYY finereader. I want to take a dual language book which I scanned in as a pdf, keep only the English text, and convert it to an rtf file. So, basically, what this means is that I need to remove every other page of the book before converting it. Is there a way to tell ABBYY to delete every other page from a selected number of pages, or is there another program I might be able to use to accomplish this operation quickly, or will I need to go through and do this manually?

Thanks for your help.
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Check out PDFMASHER,

Here is a link to a posting about it here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=pdfmasher

Ive down loaded and used it a couple of times, its VERY nice. Nice enough that I donated to the author to help support it.

It will read in a PDF file and allow you to sort the text several ways, you can mark sections to be ignored when it generates its output.

It will create a HTML file you can then edit and clean up, altho I have found that this program doesnt require a lot of cleaning up after.

What I would do is load the pdf, and then scroll down, each section tells you what page / line the text is related to in the pdf.

I would then just high light the text for every other page (easy to do with this program ), mark it to be ignored, generate the output and then edit the output file to your hearts content.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
thanks for telling me about this program askyn. I am reading about it right now and it sounds like it could be very useful for dealing with pdf documents generally. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:05 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You *should* take a look at pdftk. It is perfect for this and many other PDF related activities.

An action like this could be done for example with the following command:
Code:
pdftk yourbook.pdf cat 1-endodd output onelanguage.pdf
Of course this example will export the odd pages to a new pdf. For the even pages you need to replace odd by even of course. With this program you can also easily change sequence, rotate and my other things.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote