Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
erikk
Enthusiast
erikk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Nero Wolfe Books?

Does anyone know where I could find the following Nero Wolfe books in a format that can be used on/converted to the Sony Reader?

Where There's a Will
Curtains for Three
Triple Jeopardy
Three Men Out
The Black Mountain
Too Many Clients
Gambit
Please Pass the Guilt
Death Times Three

I've found all the other ones and these would be the last to complete the collection. Any help much appreciated.
erikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do not think those specific books are available for purchase in eBook format. Sorry,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
erikk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do not think those specific books are available for purchase in eBook format. Sorry,
I was afraid of that. I kinda thought that might be the case when I couldn't find any of them in the normal stores/places.

Maybe I'll have to OCR them some day when I'm bored. Man what a pain in the ass.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk View Post
Maybe I'll have to OCR them some day when I'm bored. Man what a pain in the ass.
It takes someone to put them out there. Maybe it can be you since you've collected so many
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
erikk
Enthusiast

Well I couldn't exactly "put them out there" legally now could I?
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
They are probably "out there" illegally already.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Years ago, when I was still looking for books through pirate channels, I remember seeing about 50 volumes of them there, both in ebook and audiobook form.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
Stephanos
Connoisseur
Stephanos doesn't litterStephanos doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Yes, most of his works are available through illegal channels, if anyone is so depraved that his or her conscience doesn't rebel at denying royalties to the author's great-grandchildren.
Stephanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanos View Post
Yes, most of his works are available through illegal channels, if anyone is so depraved that his or her conscience doesn't rebel at denying royalties to the author's great-grandchildren.
If you buy them secondhand, you also deprive the author's heirs of royalties.

I'm amazed how many people (or how many publishers) think that downloaders are choosing between "download free copy" and "buy brand-new copy at a bookstore," rather than chosing between "download free copy" and "buy or borrow a used copy." (That's not aimed at you; I'm just pondering.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I don't believe that "heirs" should receive royalties. That's just misplaced greed.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
Stephanos
Connoisseur

Not only heirs. Why, if I invent something that may be crucial in saving or improving people's lives, do my royalties run out after about 20 years but if I write a novel the protection lasts my whole life? I've never seen a good answer to that question.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Not only heirs. Why, if I invent something that may be crucial in saving or improving people's lives, do my royalties run out after about 20 years but if I write a novel the protection lasts my whole life? I've never seen a good answer to that question.
Because companies that profit from copyright, like Disney in US, pay the lawmakers to extend the period of this copyright.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
Stephanos
Connoisseur

Yes, that is the political reason. I was looking more for a justification. I suspect there isn't a good one.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #14
erikk
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
They are probably "out there" illegally already.
Well like I said, I found all the others, just not those.

Where There's a Will
Curtains for Three
Triple Jeopardy
Three Men Out
The Black Mountain
Too Many Clients
Gambit
Please Pass the Guilt
Death Times Three

And for the record I've bought every Nero Wolfe book in hardcopy (some new some used so I guess I've given his heirs some money but not all).

Last edited by erikk; 11-14-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
Krystian Galaj
Guru

Quote:
Yes, that is the political reason. I was looking more for a justification. I suspect there isn't a good one.
The only justification for the existence of copyright is that it encourages authors to write more books, and is lesser evil than other ways of doing that. I'm not sure if we need authors to write more books anymore...

There's a great series of articles by Eric Flint, that tell it all much better than I ever could - here: http://www.ericflint.net/index.php/2...and-copyright/ Have fun