Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
You're right. PDFs weren't designed for dedicated eReaders, but then again MP3s weren't designed for iPods either.

A negative assertion does not disprove the original.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #47
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
You're right. PDFs weren't designed for dedicated eReaders, but then again MP3s weren't designed for iPods either.
That comparison is flawed...

PDF was developed before dedicated ereaders was even thought off. So, when they came, the PDF's weren't made up correctly for a small screen. Nothing you do on the reader will change the PDF (because that's the nature of the format, the application that shows it will show it as the original creator designed it).

With MP3 you don't have those problems. You only need a way to play a sound. There is no problem with layout. So, any device, dedicated or not, could be able to do it, be it tiny or huge.

So, in the first case (PDF) there is the function (show lettering) and format (show the lettering in a certain way, as the created designed). In the second case (MP3) there is only the function (play the sound). No format to consider (though the better players will be able to "boost" the sound by way of an equalizer)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #48
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I find this information a bit miss-leading from a Amazon, they didn't count for pre-orders of the Hard book, only on the day sales.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #49
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
The longer they wait with eBook release, the more likely is that darknet will react with the scan.

And if that happens, I am not sure what the net effect would be. I think it is fair to say that it is a double-edged sword.
Sure. But I think that early eBook sales are no more likely to make a publisher wealthy than "darknet" (a term I've never to date heard or seen outside these forums) copies are likely to ruin him.

Ultimately, for better or worse, I rather think most any publisher can afford to be apathetic toward both of these things without fearing grave consequences.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #50
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
It's not an argument based on a negative assertion. It is an an argument based on analogy.

By the way, the original was,

Quote:
I would define an ebook format as "a file format that can display a book on an ereader" and by that definition a PDF is most certainly an ebook format. Just my opinion of course.
To which you replied,

Quote:
PDF is not a format designed to display on/as an ebook.
That is an example of a negative assertion not disproving the original.

Now to Sweetpea's objection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
That comparison is flawed...

PDF was developed before dedicated ereaders was even thought off. So, when they came, the PDF's weren't made up correctly for a small screen. Nothing you do on the reader will change the PDF (because that's the nature of the format, the application that shows it will show it as the original creator designed it).

With MP3 you don't have those problems. You only need a way to play a sound. There is no problem with layout. So, any device, dedicated or not, could be able to do it, be it tiny or huge.

So, in the first case (PDF) there is the function (show lettering) and format (show the lettering in a certain way, as the created designed). In the second case (MP3) there is only the function (play the sound). No format to consider (though the better players will be able to "boost" the sound by way of an equalizer)
I have to disagree with you Sweetpea. Of course all arguements by analogy are never 100% on point, but in this case I think they're pretty close.

MP3s were made for playing on a computer. MP3s were made before the existence of the iPod. The iPod is a better music playing device than a computer. None of this changes the fact that MP3s are music files.

PDFs were made for reading on a computer. PDFs were made before the existence of the Kindle and Sony. The Kindle/Sony is a better book displaying device than the computer. None of this changes the fact that PDFs are book files.

PDFs weren't designed just for displaying books, but that doesn't change the fact that they do display books. Similarly, MP3s aren't limited to just playing music as they can also play podcasts and any recorded sound.

Electronic readers were designed to display a variety of ebook formats with PDF being one of them. Just because the early generation of readers had small screens that didn't display PDFs well doesn't mean that PDFs aren't an ebook format. In fact the latest generation of ereaders with larger screens are quite capable of displaying PDFs.

Last edited by Daithi; 09-17-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #51
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll share with you a secret.

PDF is the only eBook format that has the capability of representing the incredible range and sometimes considerable (and for many books necessary) complexity that books have. Books--not just books that are novels or essays--including books with footnotes or marginal notes, mathematics texts, other textbooks, illustrated cookbooks, books with liberal intermixing of different scripts and languages, poetry books where form is of equal importance to content, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

- Ahi
Old 09-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #52
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
"darknet" (a term I've never to date heard or seen outside these forums)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darknet_%28file_sharing%29

The term has been around for about 30 years, but with evolving meaning.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #53
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darknet_%28file_sharing%29

The term has been around for about 30 years, but with evolving meaning.
Oh, I'm aware of what it means. I exaggerated when I said I never heard it before... but definitely virtually never. Not for at least a years, if not a full decade.

- Ahi
Old 09-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #54
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Oh, I'm aware of what it means. I exaggerated when I said I never heard it before... but definitely virtually never. Not for at least a years, if not a full decade.
Oh, OK!

I think that term gets a lot of play here because that is one of the ways pirated media, like books, gets distributed. But, there are also legitimate versions of darknets, since VPNs can also be considered darknets in as much as they are private secure networks operating over the general Internet.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #55
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
You must avoid areas that have questionable people. I've been in a lot of communities that have piracy issues, and it isn't uncommon at all.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #56
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
You must avoid areas that have questionable people. I've been in a lot of communities that have piracy issues, and it isn't uncommon at all.
I don't consider "pirates" questionable people. Unless of course you mean the ones that kidnap and murder people for ransom. Copyright infringement of materials that person would probably never buy and may never even get around to reading/listening to... that rates fairly low on my outrage meter.

- Ahi
Old 09-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #57
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Oh, OK!

I think that term gets a lot of play here because that is one of the ways pirated media, like books, gets distributed. But, there are also legitimate versions of darknets, since VPNs can also be considered darknets in as much as they are private secure networks operating over the general Internet.
To be fair though... the piratebay is hardly a darknet. And it is may well be responsible for far more (in terms of number of downloads) ebook piracy than darknets are.

- Ahi
Old 09-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #58
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
To be fair though... the piratebay is hardly a darknet. And it is may well be responsible for far more (in terms of number of downloads) ebook piracy than darknets are.

- Ahi
Piratebay as such, no. Whats behind the website (i.e. the torrent sharers) very much so
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
Why is it people have to mention Apple's new vaporware tablet which isn't a real product? This ruins a perfectly good article.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #60
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Sure. But I think that early eBook sales are no more likely to make a publisher wealthy than "darknet" (a term I've never to date heard or seen outside these forums) copies are likely to ruin him.

Ultimately, for better or worse, I rather think most any publisher can afford to be apathetic toward both of these things without fearing grave consequences.

- Ahi
Just as the CD industry has learned.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote