Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #76
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
Also to give an explanation of the slightly larger Case: The Kindle Paperwhite uses a capacitative touch technology versus the Sony T3 that will probably use Infrared Touch like its predecessors. Now adding a light layer with LEDs on the top or bottom of the T3 would make the case a little bit larger, especially if it uses Infrared technology since that requires a small distance between display and case.
Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo (both using infared touch) are same depth (slightly different design but same depth), so, NO a thicker case is NOT required to add lighting.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #77
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I'm hoping the next Sony reader will have a built in light; I have my T1 in the official lighted cover I got on clearance a year ago, I find myself using the light during the day not just at night. I'd really like my next reader to have a built-in light, I hate it when the battery in the light starts to peter out and I can't get up to get a fresh battery because I've got a cat or three on/next/surrounding me!

I do keep the Nook ST I got as a gift charged and it's library updated in case something goes wrong with my T1 but I rarely use it; I really have a hankering to get a new reader, I'm hoping to see the Kobo Aura in person at an independent bookstore in the San Diego area sometime between now and when the new Sony appears.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #78
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I would love a Sony reader with built in light. I miss my Sony readers greatly. No other reader was able to easily sort my books by author, title, date added AND series/tags. Pocketbook came closest but it was work on my part to get it all sorted, Sony did it all for me.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #79
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
"preorder" sony prs t3... :-P

http://www.blauden.com/sony-prs-t3-n...-tactil-y-wifi
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #80
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Touchscreen and Wi-Fi, more details to be revealed later.
Sounds like they're working off the FCC filing just like us.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #81
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
In this spanish web says that t3 will have NFC thecnology.

http://www.todoereaders.com/el-nuevo...exion-nfc.html

I don't beleive it to be honest...
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #82
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
In this spanish web says that t3 will have NFC thecnology.

http://www.todoereaders.com/el-nuevo...exion-nfc.html

I don't beleive it to be honest...
Not sure what that would add if it did have nfc
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #83
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
Not sure what that would add if it did have nfc
Wasn't barnes and noble going to do something with NFC? Maybe you will be able to take your Sony into a BN B&M, wave it over a book, and be able to buy the book from the Sony store?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #84
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
I see that most here are begging for a glowing screen. While others are making jokes about Sony.

I hope that at least one of those two models DOES NOT have the front-lit screen. E-ink was invented so that the screen does not glow. The printed books do not glow.

I have that glowing screen on Aura - I never ever switch it on. It is worse with light on, even at 1% power. And don't even try it in the darkness. Front-lit e-ink with "reflective light" or back-lit lcd - it is the same thing. Not easier on the eyes at all.
And I am always waiting for the cracks to begin to appear in that unnecessary light distributing layer, as they sooner or later might. No way to relax and enjoy books.

On the other hand, T2 is probably the best reader in the world, when using Cool Reader 3, a build from jotas and with Sony indexing switched off (.nomedia file). Sure, I love the larger screen of Aura HD. But it is the only thing I like about it.

BTW, the smaller screen of T2 makes me read it in landscape orientation and it is perfect for holding the reader by inserting a finger or two between the folded back cover and the reader - then the hand can be relaxed and the reader still cannot slip away.
Unfortunately there is no such comfort with Aura. It is too big to use in landscape. It dos not even have landscape, except for pdf. So I need a cover which opens at the top - then it would be comfortable to hold.
It is a pretty big deal. I love T1/T2 because of that reason too.
And of course, the buttons!
At least T3 still has buttons, so t3 is not out of consideration completely yet.

I have 4 of those very expensive T1/T2 covers, and my sister has two with lights, and they would not fit on T3.
So that is a con for sure, although otherwise smaller is better as long as the screen itself is not smaller.

NFC? I certainly don't need it. Do printed books have NFC?
Never switched on Wi-Fi on T2 or on Aura yet.
Once switched it on on T1 - just to install a ftp server and samba on T1 for testing if they work. They did. Then I switched off Wi-Fi again. Forever.

Last edited by parkher; 07-04-2013 at 09:54 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #85
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
I have that glowing screen on Aura - I never ever switch it on. It is worse with light on, even at 1% power. And don't even try it in the darkness. Front-lit e-ink with "reflective light" or back-lit lcd - it is the same thing. Not easier on the eyes at all.
To each his own. I find having the frontlight on boosts contrast in slightly lower-light situations (like inside my house or on a train), and the frontlight on my Aura easier on the eyes than a backlighted LCD, but your mileage clearly varies.

Luckily, it has an off-switch (on the Aura at least)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #86
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
The only advantage I can see with this front-lit technology is that the screen might appear whiter under certain conditions.

My first T2 had buttons that were very difficult and annoying to use but the device was obviously defective, my second T2 is just fine.

I'd like to know if T1 or T2 user still get firmware updates this autumn. There seem to be some small bugs, expecially with the annotation system (only 500 annotations allowed per book, for example). I'd like to get this stuff fixed sooner or later.

I think in general the T2 is a good deveice for 100 Euros. Maybe we'll get some T1 or T2 cases in different colours cheaper this autumn once the T3 is out, this could add some fun and variety. At least for me.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #87
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
@ parkher

Exactly my thoughts ... I am thinking to get a Sony, my sister has a T1 and she loves it, but the the front-lit screen is a deal breaker for me. If T3 comes with front-lit screen, I think I'll end up getting a T2.

I also never use the wi-fi, the only time I turned it on on Touch was to see what "Reading life" was about. I was totally unimpressed and after that never used wi-fi again.
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #88
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not really sure where the claim that a light layer makes the screen worse when the light is off is coming from. I have a Kobo Glo, and I've had every Sony from PRS 500 to the T1, and have used the T2, and with the light turned off the Kobo screen is better than everything through the T1, and either same or slightly better than the T2 to my eyes.

Basically my must have features list is light, microSD (well any expandable media, I am not picky), touch, and preferably a high res screen. I would prefer to get a Sony.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #89
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
Basically my must have features list is light, microSD (well any expandable media, I am not picky), touch, and preferably a high res screen. I would prefer to get a Sony.
The Kobo Aura fits the bill perfectly, except for not being a Sony
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #90
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
To tell the truth I don't like the touch feature that much. Because it switches pages when a crumb gets onto the screen. So we can get rid of this. We could exchange touch with front-lit, that would be fine with me.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote