Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
iJn
iJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
sparklemotion, how do you feel about your screen in well lit areas?
iJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJn View Post
sparklemotion, how do you feel about your screen in well lit areas?
In well lit areas the screen looks fine to me. I keep the light at about 13.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I am on the fence about it.

They are sending me a replacement for one. I may try a replacement for the second one as well, though the replacement may end up being worse. This one has an overall pink hue, which is almost even, but it also has a spot of light accumulation that interferes with the text towards the last four lines of text in a book. At least no green or blue hues on this one, though, so that makes it the best of the four screens I have seen so far, sadly.

I really really like everything else about the PW, so I find it impossible to forget about this device. But what if the screens of whichever ones I think I can live with get worse? It happened to my second one after 2 days!
What if the units that come out in January are perfect? I'd feel cheated.

I never buy refurbished things, because I just would rather spend the money for something new, so I would rather not need a replacement after 30 days and end up with someone elses broken, scratched up stuff. I had one very bad such expeience with a laptop when I was still in college and that put me off off refurb replacements for good.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #19
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJn View Post
I'm on the fence about buying one. When Amazon announced the PW I was really excited, but have now read so many negative reviews that I'm sure if I got one, I'd overanalyze the screen since I know what all of the problem areas are.

For now I'll continue to wait and see. Perhaps there's a problem that Amazon's aware of and a future shipment will have a higher rate of satisfied buyers.
I just canceled my PW order for the second time, mainly because of the screen issues.

I have a K4(black) and a KF HD and love both of those. I may just buy a lighted cover for the K4 and wait for the PW2.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #20
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Same here. In natural light (indoors) I keep mine at about 14 and the display looks very good.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #21
iJn
iJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Thanks.
iJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #22
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
After going through two defective Kindle Paperwhites, I'm never letting go of my 3G keyboard. It's the best version ever.

First Paperwhite had bright white pixels. The second one had scattered dead black ones (spots?) on the screen. The backlight was very blotchy and uneven, especially at the bottom. And not having page buttons (wtf) drove me crazy.

I may buy a rev.3 or something, but in it's current state, the Paperwhite feels like a beta product, IMO.

My replacement is going back. I'm sticking with the KKB and my Nexus 7. The Paperwhite needs to be fixed, IMO. Very poor QC.

The PW is marketed well, but just doesn't live up to the revolutionary backlight Bezos promotes. It's pretty bad and is consistently uneven and blotchy.

Last edited by coolbreeze; 10-13-2012 at 11:52 PM.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote