Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2011, 12:12 AM   #76
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
While YES you can, do be aware that many of the Microsoft fonts ARE licensed. Take a look at http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...butionFAQ.mspx for their take on usage.

(Yes... I am FULLY aware that a lot of people will do copy the fonts; I just want to share the legal info. I am also aware that there are other font sources, and that those who use non Microsoft O/S's can use those. So please.. NO attacks or flames).
That maybe a valid point.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:33 AM   #77
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
On books that have not been run through Calibre in the way I normally do that, I see bold and italics just fine. I have not transferred any of my Calibre enhanced books onto my Touch yet as I am one of those folks who like to make sure that the Kobo driver changes on Calibre are stable and I was not yet convinced. Of course the fact that all my calibre books were on a full sized SD card in the past and now I have to use a different card comes into play, as well.

If you are concerned with Calibre not playing nice with the database, you can simply copy the files to the Device.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #78
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has anyone used the browser with the newest update as yet?

regards

jack
Old 06-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #79
daewon
Enthusiast
daewon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
I had a little moment of hope that maybe the WiFi on my Touch would finally work with this update...Sadly, no joy...
daewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #80
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by daewon View Post
I had a little moment of hope that maybe the WiFi on my Touch would finally work with this update...Sadly, no joy...
someone mentioned that certain encyption may not work with the wifi on the kobo. Do you know what encyption you are using for your wifi? and Can you try it at a free hotspot to test it? just to eliminate a potential issue and to verify that the wifi is correctly working on your touch? I am sure that someone here may have workaround for you.

regards

Jack

Last edited by jackastor; 06-29-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Advert
Old 06-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #81
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
You could remind the rest of us of details for your wifi connection.
Router, encryption type, channel...
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:14 AM   #82
daewon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
someone mentioned that certain encyption may not work with the wifi on the kobo. Do you know what encyption you are using for your wifi? and Can you try it at a free hotspot to test it? just to eliminate a potential issue and to verify that the wifi is correctly working on your touch? I am sure that someone here may have workaround for you.

regards

Jack
I've tried it on 12 different networks at this point aside from mine. On mine i have tried every possible configuration of encryption and passwords. Even with the firewall off completely, and no encryption. I know it's an issue with the Touch as the Kobo WiFi worked perfectly. I really wish i would have kept it. The Touch has just been a big disappointment for me with all of the other issues too...Well here goes factory reset 20 in hopes maybe with the new firmware it may work...
Old 06-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #83
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I also see that problem with epubs created by Calibre. Before the 1.9.5 firmware, bold and italic fonts were displayed, now they aren't with any font or setting variation.

One other minor niggle: 1.9.5 now does a full flash-to-black refresh of the page when exiting from the page bottom menu, probably on the theory that the text font and margins may have changed completely. But most of the time they haven't - in fact the page bottom menu often may have popped up accidentally due to a stray touch. I preferred it that it was easy to dismiss the menu quickly with another tap without refreshing the whole page if nothing has changed. It made the menu feel more responsive.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #84
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
If you are concerned with Calibre not playing nice with the database, you can simply copy the files to the Device.
No, but I did know that Tim worked on the driver immediately before the update was going to happen and I decided to wait and see. I'm not sorry I did that, at this point.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:26 AM   #85
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
I've tried it on 12 different networks at this point aside from mine. On mine i have tried every possible configuration of encryption and passwords. Even with the firewall off completely, and no encryption. I know it's an issue with the Touch as the Kobo WiFi worked perfectly. I really wish i would have kept it. The Touch has just been a big disappointment for me with all of the other issues too...Well here goes factory reset 20 in hopes maybe with the new firmware it may work...
Ok so if you have tried it on that many networks( and I kind of figured you may have done just that) then I would postulate that the wifi card in the reader is toasted. Stuff like that happens. Have you contacted Kobo And asked for a replacement? I am sure they will send you a new one.

regards

jack
Old 06-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #86
daewon
Enthusiast

Quote:
And of course no luck...
Old 06-29-2011, 01:58 AM   #87
daewon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Ok so if you have tried it on that many networks( and I kind of figured you may have done just that) then I would postulate that the wifi card in the reader is toasted. Stuff like that happens. Have you contacted Kobo And asked for a replacement? I am sure they will send you a new one.

regards

jack
but sometimes...although 90 percent of the time not, it does work...so if they did send me a new one do they cover shipping?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:38 AM   #88
joshmosh
Enthusiast
joshmosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I preferred it that it was easy to dismiss the menu quickly with another tap without refreshing the whole page if nothing has changed. It made the menu feel more responsive.
Maybe it would feel more responsive, but by having the bottom menu and top bar show up, there is left a ghosting of those areas on the screen. With the ability to extend margins to the edges now, that may effect text quality.

Regardless, maybe it should be an option to turn on and off... personally I don't mind full screen refreshes as I like the ink to be "clean and clear."

ALSO....has anyone noticed that waking from Sleep is almost INSTANT now???? This is fantastic! Great enhancement.

Now...one thing that could be enhanced is the endnote functionality. While endnote hyperlinks seem to be clickable now, they take you to the end of the chapter or book to the corresponding endnote. It would be nice to have a small icon to click in order to flip back to the original page. Otherwise, whenever I go to an endnote I have to flip back many many pages in order to get back to where I was. I am not sure how these features are implemented on other readers, but something innovative here would be very helpful and make the feature useful!! Thanks Kobo team!!

Last edited by joshmosh; 06-29-2011 at 02:43 AM.
joshmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:51 AM   #89
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmosh View Post
Now...one thing that could be enhanced is the endnote functionality. While endnote hyperlinks seem to be clickable now, they take you to the end of the chapter or book to the corresponding endnote. It would be nice to have a small icon to click in order to flip back to the original page. Otherwise, whenever I go to an endnote I have to flip back many many pages in order to get back to where I was. I am not sure how these features are implemented on other readers, but something innovative here would be very helpful and make the feature useful!! Thanks Kobo team!!
Haven't tried any on the KT yet, but most well-made EPUBs should have a hyperlink before or following the endnote to take you back to the original page. It might be a little symbol like ^ or *. For the EPUBs without though, page history, or even just 'previous/next page' would be useful though, yes.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:09 AM   #90
juxtapose
Banned
juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: tons
Quote:
Originally Posted by digiSara View Post
cheers
juxtapose is offline   Reply With Quote