Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Kitch
Kitch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Sudden DRM Issue

Please help...

I have been using my Sony eReader via Calibre for nine months. I've never had a problem until today. This afternoon during the middle of reading, the screen went white, and came up with the circling arrows that usually indicate something is loading. I plugged the reader in to charge, thinking that the battery had gone down, and tried to open the book I'd previously been reading wouldn't load. Up came the message, "Protected by Digital Rights Management."

I decided to erase every book from the reader and reload via Calibre. Same issue. Now, in Device Information, it says that the device is not yet authorized for DRM Content, yet I had been reading a DRM protected book up until the strange crash.

How do I authorise it now? All help would be greatly appreciated!
Kitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Seems your authorisation, probably as well as some other information like date/time time-zone, get lost during the "crash" - reinitializing the reader to factory-default on reboot. - This kind of actions are reported to happen at random.

To (re)authorise your reader do the same thing as you have done it the first time.

(Though I never did it by myself).
Procedure somehow includes usings Sonys Reader™ for PC /Mac Software, setting up (you probably will have already) a Sony-Account (using the same e-mail adress as use in ADE - if you are using ADE also) and connect the Reader via USB and select Data-Transfer-Mode.

Uppon connect there should be a PopUp-Window asking to authorise your Reader (again).

Last edited by Mark Nord; 09-19-2012 at 06:05 AM. Reason: typo
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitch View Post
Please help...

I have been using my Sony eReader via Calibre for nine months. I've never had a problem until today. This afternoon during the middle of reading, the screen went white, and came up with the circling arrows that usually indicate something is loading. I plugged the reader in to charge, thinking that the battery had gone down, and tried to open the book I'd previously been reading wouldn't load. Up came the message, "Protected by Digital Rights Management."

I decided to erase every book from the reader and reload via Calibre. Same issue. Now, in Device Information, it says that the device is not yet authorized for DRM Content, yet I had been reading a DRM protected book up until the strange crash.

How do I authorise it now? All help would be greatly appreciated!

All you have to do is sign into your Sony account through the reader & do the same with Adobe on the reader. You'll be good to go.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
I really don't understand why people insist on using Calibre or (shudder) PC reader to load manage their books... a simple drag n drop is all you need then use the device to organize into collections( note I am not talking about loading 1000's of books at a time.. in THAT case Calibre would be my choice... I have 2000 plus books in 92 collections all done simply/easily without calibre/pc-reader I use Calibre for format conversion and PC reader for firmware updates quick book checking etc remember KISS
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
I really don't understand why people insist on using Calibre or (shudder) PC reader to load manage their books... a simple drag n drop is all you need then use the device to organize into collections( note I am not talking about loading 1000's of books at a time.. in THAT case Calibre would be my choice... I have 2000 plus books in 92 collections all done simply/easily without calibre/pc-reader I use Calibre for format conversion and PC reader for firmware updates quick book checking etc remember KISS
For one, it automatically puts the book into the right collection. I find that much slower and even tedious to do through the ereader itself.

But mainly, I want a full and complete backup of every book I have on my ereader. Calibre serves that purpose extremely well. Stuff happens... I'd never trust my books to one location, be it either one hard drive or one ereader. If something happens to the ereader, including having to do a hard reset to clear some issue (which I've never had to do yet), all I have to do is import all my books again from Calibre and done, all collections organized, everything exactly the way I want it. I also prefer having both my PC Calibre library and my readers sync'ed the same.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Certainly that is a good/valid reason certainly.... I guess it's just "different strokes" personally I just archive everything to dvd and my hate/loathing of syncing was nurtured by my experience with the blackberry and other devices... it always seemed to screw everything up... sooner or later lol....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
ms_feather
ms_feather began at the beginning.

Device: AGPtek® 7" Android 4.0 Capacitive Touch Screen Tablet PC
Sony E-Reader DRM Issues

I have had the same issue with my e-reader and the library program. You have to make sure your Adobe ID is current. The Adobe ID is the DRM for Sony e-books. An Adobe ID should already be associated with your account. Tech support or help menu says you have to de-authorize and then re-authorize your computer and device. Unfortunately, that solution has not always worked for me, so I had to call tech support and have them do it on their end.
The issue seemed to be more of a problem after updates to the software and reader. I have had this happen multiple times.
I have enjoyed the reader, hate the library management and DRM issues.
It's a pain in the tookus.
Hope this helps if you haven't already resolved the issue.
ms_feather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
cyn1949
cyn1949 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST1
I have a Sony PRST1 and usually get books from the public library which i put on my desktop and then drag into my reader. I have tried doing this with torrents once in a while but i am unable to get them into the reader. I have a Mac and updated all my sony ereader etc. I have Calibre but don't seem to get it to work or get that DRM issue all the time. Does anyone know how i get a torrent into the reader? They seem to go to my desktop. Thanks.
cyn1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, sony