Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
What is your preferred font size?

What is your preferred font size for reading on the Kobo Reader?

I'm not sure if it is due to eInk screen's lower contrast when compared to ink/paper, but I've found myself preferring Medium to Small. Having the font so large makes me feel like I'm reading a large print book, and I have to turn the page more frequently, but so far I've found it easier to read.

I've only had my Kobo Reader one day, so perhaps after I get used to it I'll revert back to a smaller point size.

I am just wondering what size other Kobo owers prefer?
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Purrceyz
Enthusiast
Purrceyz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 7 tablet
Large is my preferred size but then I'm 54 and wear bifocals. The sales guy at Chapters told me that "medim is big enough"; I told him that I preferred a larger font for my older eyes.
Purrceyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
My wife reads either at the Small or Smallest setting and finds either quite comfortable.
I'm generally reading at the Medium setting, but I think it may have to do with the fact that I tend to read in more dimly lit areas.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Small and Medium for me.
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
BongoBong
Enthusiast
BongoBong is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Smallest if I have decent light, small when the light is bad (in bed typically)
BongoBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
Small in normal light, medium in dim lighting.
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Thanks for the replies

It is interesting to hear that people tend to change the font size to suit the lighting conditions.

On my commute yesterday I switched to Small, and found that quite comfortable. I think I'm getting more used to reading from an eInk screen.

I think I'll probably stick with Small for normal lighting conditions, and switch to Medium for low light conditions.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
Spinner
Bibliofreak
Spinner began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Three cheers for Large print! It's delightful to be able to read with no glasses on. This is the perfect device for us doddering old folk with dodgy eyes and carpal tunnel.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
blkninja1961
blkninja1961 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo blackberry
I'm in the group that changes the size according to lighting conditions. I find that I'm all over the map from smal to large. Since it's so easy to adjust the font, it's essentially what's comfortable at the time.
blkninja1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Agreed. Three cheers for being able to change font size to suit the situations.
I personally like to light up a joint sometimes before I dive into escapism, and the medium sized font makes this experience just more much comfortable
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've just been reading with the smallest font, a couple times I thought about going up a size but I haven't actually done it yet.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

I liked medium however found I was having to change the page too much which got annoying. So now I use small which is still very comfortable with sans font
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I love the Kobo app for iPad. I use the largest font, sans serif, and change it ti white text on black background. It has a much better selection than iBooks.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:30 AM   #14
DKazzed
Enthusiast
DKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura aboutDKazzed has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Porcelain
Smallest in good lighting, small to medium in dim lighting.
DKazzed is offline   Reply With Quote