Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
rutgurt
Enthusiast
rutgurt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Read AZW & TPZ files on other readers?

Has anyone cracked the Kindle encryption yet? Im kind of feeling a bit ripped off. I love my Kindle, but im not feeling much freedom to buy another E-Reader. I have invested in too many books on Kindle, and not being able to load them onto another e-reader really pisses me off. Is there any hope concerning this problem? I found this link below. Is this actually the fix I been looking for?

http://nyquil.org/archives/1128-Conv...-a-Kindle.html
rutgurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:03 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
TPZ ebooks are Kindle-only and I don't think anyone's worked on removing the DRM from them.

AZW are just Mobipocket ebooks. There are methods to get the Mobipocket PID from the Kindle serial number, and there's also a script that will removed DRM from Mobipocket ebooks given the PID.

But the owner of this board is understandably worried about explicit instructions being given here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgurt View Post
Has anyone cracked the Kindle encryption yet? Im kind of feeling a bit ripped off. I love my Kindle, but im not feeling much freedom to buy another E-Reader. I have invested in too many books on Kindle, and not being able to load them onto another e-reader really pisses me off. Is there any hope concerning this problem?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Yep. As pdurrant says, the .azw is strippable and once it is in unencrypted Mobipocket format, it's easy to convert to many other formats using software like the MobiPerl mentioned in that link or Calibre, a very easy and flexible tool written by one of our regulars here at MobileRead.

Most ebook DRMs have been defeated. The only two I can think of that haven't been are Sony's .lrx and Amazon's Topaz. Sadly, books that are in Topaz format at Amazon usually aren't available for purchase in any other format in any other store.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Yep. As pdurrant says, the .azw is strippable and once it is in unencrypted Mobipocket format, it's easy to convert to many other formats using software like the MobiPerl mentioned in that link or Calibre, a very easy and flexible tool written by one of our regulars here at MobileRead.

Most ebook DRMs have been defeated. The only two I can think of that haven't been are Sony's .lrx and Amazon's Topaz. Sadly, books that are in Topaz format at Amazon usually aren't available for purchase in any other format in any other store.
I've noticed that too - books seem to get "locked" into Topaz with no other alternative formats that I can find. Sad - esp. since some wonderful pbooks are showing up as tpz.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I've noticed that too - books seem to get "locked" into Topaz with no other alternative formats that I can find. Sad - esp. since some wonderful pbooks are showing up as tpz.
We can only hope those books will get a regular ebook release. Topaz is done in house by Amazon (with publisher permission of course) as a way to get as many books out as possible.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert