Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2008, 01:10 AM   #1
dumky
dumky began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC
Question MP3s on the Kindle

Would anyone know if it is possible to create an audiobook for the Kindle from a set of mp3s or some other audio files?
Is there any tool to do that? Was the Audible format deconstructed?

Thanks,
Julien
http://blog.monstuff.com
dumky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle plays MP3 files, doesn't it? What problems are you having using those?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle plays MP3 files, doesn't it? What problems are you having using those?
In the recent upgrade, the Kindle got a new menu screen for playing an audiobook. I haven't tried it, but it looks useful. Follow the link and look at the screenshot.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...609#post149609

@dumky
I don't listen to audiobooks or music, so I don't know the answer to your question. But I'll take a few minutes and do some searching.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What didn't work:

Audible.com had no information on converting from mp3 to AA format. The AudibleManager will not import an mp3 file. Sending an mp3 file to my Kindle as an attachment didn't work. Renaming the suffix from mp3 to AA didn't work, either.

What I'm still waiting on:

I sent an email to Audible asking for help on this issue.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From what it sounds like is that the Audiobook interface is just for Audble format audiobooks. But since the Kindle plays MP3 already, why do you need to convert the MP3 to Audible format?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From what it sounds like is that the Audiobook interface is just for Audble format audiobooks. But since the Kindle plays MP3 already, why do you need to convert the MP3 to Audible format?
The Kindle only has two mp3 player features: start and stop. Audible format has a menu, bookmarks, chapters, fast forward, jump, rewind. Unfortunately, you can't use the new menu with a mp3.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Interesting idea. I would like to know too.

From my google research, it seems that there are no solution yet. One work around for the ipod user is to convert mp3's to some m4b format, which is based on the aac codec.

However there are programs to dedrm the audible format. So ppl certainly knew something about the format.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
April Hamilton
Fully Caffeinated
April Hamilton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.April Hamilton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.April Hamilton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.April Hamilton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.April Hamilton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Modified ePods
Looks Like It To Me, But...

According to the Kindle manual, the only commercial audiobook format supported is the one from Audible. However, it also says it can play MP3 files natively off an SD card, so I can't think of any reason why you couldn't record an audiobook into MP3 format, stick that sucker on an SD card and listen to it from the Kindle.

It seems to me that the only limitation on the length of the MP3 file would be the size of your SD card. I wonder though---presumably your idea is to create an audiobook that would be made available for Kindle owners to purchase? I mean, I can't imagine you'd record yourself reading a book aloud just for your own enjoyment later. Since Amazon has married the Kindle to Audible for audiobook content, I'm not sure where you'd find an outlet to sell your own, MP3 audiobooks. Interesting idea, though.
April Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Let me try this again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The Kindle only has two mp3 player features: start and stop. Audible format has a menu, bookmarks, chapters, fast forward, jump, rewind. Unfortunately, you can't use the new menu with a mp3.
While I have only a limited number of audiobooks, I know a couple people who literally have gigabytes of audiobooks. Unfortunately, most are in mp3 format. The support for mp3 is minimal. Now that the Kindle provides good support for Audible.com, I think it's worth some effort to find a way to convert from mp3.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Let me try this again.

While I have only a limited number of audiobooks, I know a couple people who literally have gigabytes of audiobooks. Unfortunately, most are in mp3 format. The support for mp3 is minimal. Now that the Kindle provides good support for Audible.com, I think it's worth some effort to find a way to convert from mp3.
I think it would be better to get Amazon to offer better support for MP3. Even the audible menu has some problems in that you cannot read a book while listening to it. This is a feature desired by some users such as people trying to learn better English or to aid via impaired folks that just need a little help.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #11
dumky
dumky began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet PC
Reply from Amazon and custom audio player idea

I emailed Amazon (which own Audible now):
Quote:
Was there a decision on opening up the file format for Audible audiobooks? Will you publish a tool to compile mp3s into an AA file?
Quote:
At this time, there isn't a software option to convert MP3's to Audible formats released by Amazon.com. This may, however, change at some point in the future. Naturally, we want to keep up with technology and customer suggestions at the same time to improve our customer experience.

I've passed your feedback along to the Kindle business team.

We will definitely keep your suggestions in mind as we continue to make Kindle a successful product.
@HarryT, @JSWolf: Nate nailed the issue. The mp3 player on the Kindle is super primitive (play/pause).

I'm eagerly waiting to see if Igorsk manages to put custom applications on the Kindle (java "booklets").
If he solves that problem, then I could write an alternative audiobook application (based on mp3s instead of audible files), if there is no way to convert from mp3 to audible.
dumky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I heard back from Audible. They won't let me do it, they won't do it for me.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #13
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Hello,

Have you guys tried put a mp3 audiobook inside the Audible folder? I wonder if that is the feature you are looking for.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I tried that. The mp3 was ignored.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #15
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Hello Nate,

I have just downloaded a file from npr podcast and put it inside the Audible directory and it shows up for me correctly in Home. One disoriented part is that I do not necessary expect the title of the podcast I download. I have a listing of 7 pages long and sorted my items alphabetically. I have to hunt down which page now include this new podcast.

Try rename your documents folder to something else for now via USB. It should make that mp3 Audiobook more obvious. Good luck.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote