Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #16
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I have no problem with a system like Harry's that is never connected to the Internet. Except that I don't think XP is a very good file server. Especially if all the rest of your systems are Win7/8 or Server 2012. Because now you're forcing me to use _old_ file protocols (SMB 1.0 packets).

And you're right, Glorfindel, I didn't call out "Zero Day, Every Day", though that was certainly in line with my final comment about not having to worry about Patch Tuesday any more.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
with the last update W8 can be installed on systems with one GB of RAM and a 1 GHZ CPU... not that it'ed be ideal but with some more RAM it would run fine
yea, Windows 7 also says it will run on 1 Gig also but it sure hits the limit quickly. Unfortunately my Sony computer is only spec'd to a maximum of 1G. I don't think it would even see more memory. I also have a Compaq laptop that also peaks out at 1 Gig. It is also running XP but I only have 3/4 G installed.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #18
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
well now you have a good excuse to buy a Surface Pro :P
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #19
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I have no problem with a system like Harry's that is never connected to the Internet. Except that I don't think XP is a very good file server. Especially if all the rest of your systems are Win7/8 or Server 2012. Because now you're forcing me to use _old_ file protocols (SMB 1.0 packets).
And you're right, Glorfindel, I didn't call out "Zero Day, Every Day", though that was certainly in line with my final comment about not having to worry about Patch Tuesday any more.
yeah, if I ever connect mine to the internet I'll partition the hdd and install Ubunutu
Old 04-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
yeah, if I ever connect mine to the internet I'll partition the hdd and install Ubunutu
And what's wrong with Archlinux? That's the route I'm going. I'm requisitioning old hardware for file servers/LAN hubs/general computing.

Scored a 10-yr-old (I think) laptop with 40-GB hdd and 256 MB DIMM memory, WinXP, which is my new project.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #21
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

lol really? mine has 256MBs RAM too. Only 20GB hdd though, whats it got for a CPU? mine is 700 MHZ
Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #22
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Never heard of Archlinux
Old 04-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #23
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

only ever run DSL and Slacko Puppy
Old 04-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #24
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Those boxes sound like perfect clients for MultiPoint Server.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #25
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

mines actualy a laptop
Old 04-17-2014, 01:44 AM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
lol really? mine has 256MBs RAM too. Only 20GB hdd though, whats it got for a CPU? mine is 700 MHZ
Currently it is at home and I am halfway across the country spending Passover with relatives. I'll tell you when I get back and find out.
Quote:
Never heard of Archlinux
Google Is Your Friend. It's very lightweight, though.
Installation:
Step 1, ssh into a blank disk and install the package manager, bash, and the linux kernel.
Step 2, install whatever else you think you want.
Quote:
mines actualy a laptop
Mine too. It's still a "box".
Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #27
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

what's the min. ram it'll run on? because DSL can run on 64 mbs and comes prepackaged
Old 04-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
what's the min. ram it'll run on? because DSL can run on 64 mbs and comes prepackaged
"Prepackaged?!?!?! We don't need no stinkin' prepackaged!!"
Where's your sense of fun?

I am pretty sure the linux kernel on its own has lower system requirements than that extravagant 64MB.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #29
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

lol ok. I have never packaged anything so I don't know how easy it is.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #30
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

AND don't know much of anything about linux in general, specifically terminal commands (I'm more into hardware)