Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
iPad Mini or Kindle Fire???

I am debating between the two. I do not know which one I want. Any advice or should I just get one of each?
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I think the current iPad mini is a bad deal. If you want an iPad, I'd definitely wait for the next models that should come out later in the year. Better alternatives would be the 8" Galaxy Tab or the 7" Nexus 7 (2013 version). The latter gives you by far the best performance and specs for the money. I don't know enough about the Fire to really comment on it, but Amazon will also announce new models soon.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
I'd say look at what apps / capabilities you want to run and choose a device based on platform rather than manufacturer.
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
I am debating between the two. I do not know which one I want. Any advice or should I just get one of each?

You're going to have to be a little more helpful than that if you want informed advice.

Tell us (for example) what you may or may not find attractive about each device.

And why only those two?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I want a device that will be able to hold and read with but also something I can surf the web, check email, maybe complete some work on while out at appointments. Something that I can use as an extension of my computer but be able to move the work from that device to my computer or cloud.

As for what I find attractive with each one is something I have not decided on yet.
Advert
Old 08-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
I want a device that will be able to hold and read with but also something I can surf the web, check email, maybe complete some work on while out at appointments. Something that I can use as an extension of my computer but be able to move the work from that device to my computer or cloud.

As for what I find attractive with each one is something I have not decided on yet.
Since you want to do some work, I'd avoid the Kindle Fire and choose an iPad or Android tablet.

I use my mini for reading, surfing, forums, email, calendar, lists, etc. and find the automatic syncing to my computer via the cloud or individual apps indispensable.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
My Nexus 7 was syncing more than I liked! Even browser tabs and such, so I had to tone that down a bit. But yes, as a Google device, it focuses strongly on sharing data between your devices and makes heavy use of the cloud, if allowed. It is all transparent and customizable.

As mentioned, if you want an iPad, I would really recommend to wait a few weeks or month. The next mini is very likely to have a retina display. Personally, I can warmly recommend the new Nexus 7. I use it for all the things mentioned, and also for streaming video and music to it. I still can't get over how amazing the display quality is.

If you have the chance, look at different tablets in a store. It is a personal device, so how it feels to you is important.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

I personally hate Google and the Chrome browser. My browser of choice is FireFox. Google tracks everything and sells it along with your email address. But that is just me.

What is Retina Display and how does that enhance display?
Old 08-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I personally hate Google and the Chrome browser. My browser of choice is FireFox. Google tracks everything and sells it along with your email address. But that is just me.

What is Retina Display and how does that enhance display?
Retina is just a buzz word. In this context, it means "high DPI", but that's always relative.

For instance, the Nexus 7 (2013) has a DPI of 323, which certainly qualifies as high. The Samsung Tab 7 has 169dpi, and the mini only 163dpi, which definitively do not qualify as "high". Where "retina" starts is very fuzzy, but as a rule of thumb, I would say any tablet with 250+ dpi could be considered "retina".

High DPI screens offer sharper text, if you compare a mini with the new N7 you can see that the text on the mini if fuzzy whereas on the N7 is very sharp.

Edit: see this post for a screen comparison.

Last edited by afv011; 08-31-2013 at 03:12 PM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy

Thanks afv001. I think the Nexus would be a better buy than the iPad.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #11
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
i have the new nexus 7 also. the definition/dpi is so incredible that it's even better than on my 1080p 40" tv (which I also use as my computer monitor).

the other thing that really makes the nexus7 2013 pretty hot to trot is the quad-core processor... it's lightning fast. I had an original kindle fire and this thing really blows it away on speed, plus the KF had its little walled-garden aspect to the operating system so having stock android 4.3 makes for an experience that is thankfully not comparable to the KF.

I would NOT recommend a Kindle Fire (any version) simply because the connector for the power input is very poorly executed and the KF's tend to lose the ability to be recharged. I had mine repaired twice and then it died a third time out of warranty (12 months) and i was just stuck with a dead machine. I tried the local fixit folks (3 companies) and all said the same thing: the new Kindle Fire still has the same problem, and word on the street was that there was no intention to fix it. Planned obsolescence? whatever, I decided not to buy another one, even though the customer care department so generously offered me $20 off a non-HD replacement.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote