Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
nhunt
nhunt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo disaster

Just got my Glo. Looked forward to it for weeks and am VERY disappointed.

There is no manual and the online manual (once you can find it) is not complete.

I have had nothing but problems trying to get books over from the library, through the MANDATORY third party software and onto the Kobo.

I became frustrated enough that I called Kobo's helpline and said I wanted to return it. They said I could take it back to the store where I bought it. Another trip to the store and the store refused return.

Kobo customer support says tough.

Not only will I never buy Kobo again, but I won't shop at that bookstore again. Lose, lose, lose.

My advice: do more research than I did about customer support. It may be non-existant. And don;t buy Kobo because they don't back up what their customer support people tell you on the phone.
nhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Try getting some help over in the Kobo threads on this forum. Everyone on there has so far had a positive experience with the Glo and there are some experienced users there that should be able to help if you are specific about what your problem is. Someone should be able to direct you to the User Guides and suggest some solutions if the Guide doesn't help. From your comments, I'm assuming this is your first reader and that your problem should be fairly simple to work out.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Could you be more specific about what this third-party software is? Was considering picking up a Glo. I've never owned a Kobo device, but my Literati has Kobo firmware, and I never needed any PC software from Kobo. I was able to get Library books loaded through Digital Editions.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Could you be more specific about what this third-party software is? Was considering picking up a Glo. I've never owned a Kobo device, but my Literati has Kobo firmware, and I never needed any PC software from Kobo. I was able to get Library books loaded through Digital Editions.
I suspect that ADE would be the only "third party" software that could be involved here... Loading Books purchased from Kobo can be done through their desktop application or wirelessly, other sources such as a public library would require ADE. Getting a book onto the Kobo devices is no more complicated than for a Sony or any other eReader or a tablet. That said, I do know a number of persons who don't often use computers that require my help to set up their readers and load their books as it is beyond their level of knowledge of electronic devices to do this themselves at first.
Public libraries often have extensive help pages for eReaders on their websites and some offer seminars to explain the process for beginners...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-03-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
accom
accom began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Glo
I have the same problem. Half of kobo screen refused to refresh itself suddenly after 2 weeks of usage. When I contacted powellbooks, was told to talk to Kobo.com. When talked to kobo, their CS told me to reach out to my retailer (powellbooks)

My advise, don't bother with Kobo eReaders. Their CS sucks and warranty support is non-existence. Although i really like their online store and seamless sync, this is the last time i will buy any thing from Kobo.com.
accom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
accom
accom began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Glo
I am having the same problem with topic starter.

My 1 month old Kobo Glo stopped working last week. Top half of the screen refused to refresh itself.

Contacted my retailer (powellbooks), was told to contact Kobo CS because it has already opened.

When i reached out to Kobo (Facebook), no reply. Email, finally got back to me after 3 days. Telling me to reach out to my retailer.

This is an endless loop, no one is going to take responsibility for this. Kobo.com is a fantastic online store and I really like their seamless sync across devices, but this is bullshit. Their CS sucks and warranty and return programme non existence.

I am taking my > 50 ebooks and future purchases to Amazon Kindle.

Don't bother with Kobo ebook readers.

Last edited by accom; 03-14-2013 at 05:01 AM.
accom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
It's not a secret that I'm not fond of the Kobo reader but for goodness sakes people if you're buying a DIGITAL reader why on earth do you think they're going to include a PAPER manual for the thing??? It's on the reader! Sheesh
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #8
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
It's not a secret that I'm not fond of the Kobo reader but for goodness sakes people if you're buying a DIGITAL reader why on earth do you think they're going to include a PAPER manual for the thing??? It's on the reader! Sheesh
LOL!! true, but since it's the first time to get a reader, the 1st item to look for is really the paper manual.
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:13 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Having a manual only on the device is rather useless when you are unfamiliar with technology and need to work through something step-by-step; once you're out of the manual page and trying to do something, you can't see what the manual says any more. It's also useless when your device is frozen and needs to be reset.

I completely agree that the online "manual" is of very poor quality also. It doesn't even tell you how to do a hard reset, something that plenty of users in this forum have needed. And it's of zero use when you don't have internet access at that moment. Not all of us live in a land of ambient web access. It can also be intimidating for people with very little tech knowledge, who may feel much more comfortable and confident with a paper tutorial with their first ereader.

I think a paper Getting Started/Emergency Trouble-shooting guide should be included with e-readers. It should include step by step tutorials on the most common use cases, pointers to information for more esoteric stuff, and information on how to perform the different types of resets and what exactly will happen when you do these resets.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I'm pretty sure I got a "quick start" guide in the box which was covering the basics. Different countries, different practices?
I will have to check, though.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I'm pretty sure I got a "quick start" guide in the box which was covering the basics. Different countries, different practices?
I will have to check, though.
I'm pretty sure there was, but it didn't contain the things I describe. IMO there needs to be far more troubleshooting advice written up, instead of relying on people ringing Kobo, which let's face it is a bit of a pain (and more of a pain for some - is there online live chat available for D/deaf people, for example? As far as I know, no.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I see your point meeera and you're right.

Having to contact customer service for basic things that could have been easily explained, doesn't give a good image to the brand (unreliable devices, time consuming process...). <- This doesn't reflect my views on Kobo (no complain whatsoever so far), just the perception one can have with whatever brand or product going all electronic.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm pretty sure there was, but it didn't contain the things I describe. IMO there needs to be far more troubleshooting advice written up, instead of relying on people ringing Kobo, which let's face it is a bit of a pain (and more of a pain for some - is there online live chat available for D/deaf people, for example? As far as I know, no.)
I've used online live chat with Kobo as I'm a bit phone phobic. Have to say that I agree with your assessment of the user manual.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhunt View Post
Just got my Glo. Looked forward to it for weeks and am VERY disappointed.

There is no manual and the online manual (once you can find it) is not complete.

I have had nothing but problems trying to get books over from the library, through the MANDATORY third party software and onto the Kobo.

I became frustrated enough that I called Kobo's helpline and said I wanted to return it. They said I could take it back to the store where I bought it. Another trip to the store and the store refused return.

Kobo customer support says tough.

Not only will I never buy Kobo again, but I won't shop at that bookstore again. Lose, lose, lose.

My advice: do more research than I did about customer support. It may be non-existant. And don;t buy Kobo because they don't back up what their customer support people tell you on the phone.
I'm not sure I see the "disaster" here. You don't like the Kobo Glo because you need to use ADE? Welcome to 90% of the readers out there. I'm pretty sure Kobo Glo owners can sideload books onto their devices with ease.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:14 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I'm not sure I see the "disaster" here. You don't like the Kobo Glo because you need to use ADE? Welcome to 90% of the readers out there. I'm pretty sure Kobo Glo owners can sideload books onto their devices with ease.
Yes, any book without DRM can simply be copied to the device when it is connected by USB.

As to manuals, the Kobo Touch originally had a nice welcome guide that showed most of the function as you read through it. And it had an extensive manual built into it that did explain everything. Both of these seem to have disappeared in the recent firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote