Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
Cue
Cue began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Can somebody explain the directories?

Hello fellow Mobileread community members.
I have a backup of the SD card from my reader (I think, at least that's what I named the folder) but I cannot understand what all the paths and files are for.

The path layout is as follows. hyphened directories/filenames reside in the directory with one less hyphen above.

database
-cache
-layout
-media
--audio
--books
--notepads
-sync
layout
-files
Documents
-LICENSE.zip
-PRS600_UG.zip
tmp
-database
--cache
-preload.lst
-version
capabilities.xml

I cannot make heads or tails of it. What are all these files? I'm unsure whether or not to delete some of the files or directories from the backup which I may not need.
Cue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
This is from the SD card and not the internal memory of the Reader? The database > media folder is where all the books, pictures, and music go. You can drag and drop files directly there. Should be on the main memory. Not sure about the other stuff.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #3
Cue

Thanks banjobama.
I'm not sure if it's from the SD or internal memory to be honest. I think it may be from the SD card. It's just a folder on my computer desktop called "PRS600 backup". It might even be a combination of both. So am I safe to delete everything else except the media folder? I don't want to keep settings and things like that, as long as my books and notes remain, then I'm happy.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
T... long as my books and notes remain, then I'm happy.
then don't delete cache-folders too,
as to my knowledge some links between books and notes are kept in cache.xml or cache-ext.xml
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
merrygoblin
merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.merrygoblin for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-650, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Thanks banjobama.
I'm not sure if it's from the SD or internal memory to be honest. I think it may be from the SD card. It's just a folder on my computer desktop called "PRS600 backup". It might even be a combination of both. So am I safe to delete everything else except the media folder? I don't want to keep settings and things like that, as long as my books and notes remain, then I'm happy.
I'd be careful, in that case.

I'm not an expert, but I think the notes are in an XML file (and possibly other files too if you have any handwritten notes) somewhere in the file structure of the main memory of the reader (not sure exactly where).

Depending on how you organise your books and put them on the reader from the computer, I think they may be put by default in one of those directories by the Sony Reader PC software. Calibre, as I recall, organises them differently (using seperate directories by author off the root directory?).
merrygoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Cue

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll keep the XML cache files too I guess. I use both Calibre and the Sony Reader software on different OS so that might also be why it's so messy. I'll try a process of elimination and see where the notes are kept, then report back here. Thanks again everyone.