Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Kobo Touch?
Yep, I'm happy with my purchase. 128 79.50%
No way! I want another eReader. 3 1.86%
I will be with the right firmware update(s). 30 18.63%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
iJn
iJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animalsiJn is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Overall Satisfaction with Kobo Touch?

This thread got me wondering what the overall satisfaction level is that people have had with their Kobo Touch. While no disrespect is meant to the author of the linked thread, I personally wouldn't call it junk. But then I've been fortunate enough to have used mine every day for the month I've owned it without problem, and I'd imagine most satisfied users don't create threads saying as much.

So I thought a simple poll could be useful. I've narrowed it down to three options so as not to dilute the intended goal.
iJn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
I like my touch. It has great memory, fast, and every new firmware update lets it do things that it couldn't before as well as taking care of bugs.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
No complaints so far.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
No complaints here. I only voted once, but my husband and sister, who both have KTs, also love theirs.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
feedbakbwr
Redwood Original
feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.feedbakbwr is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Love my Touch
feedbakbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
Janet56
Enthusiast
Janet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enoughJanet56 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Libra, Forma (8 and 32 gb), Sage, Kindle Oasis
I love my Touch - except that since the last update I am having trouble when I try to upload books with calibre, it keeps saying Error communicating with device. I have tried two different cables and still get this. I am hoping it is not a problem with my KT itself. Other than that, I love the touchscreen, the ability to expand the storage with the micro SD care, the speed and the improvements the last firmware update has given us.
Janet56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
pretty good device,so far the only issues i have had is from doing beta testing for the firmware
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
Joyful
Connoisseur
Joyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmosJoyful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kobo
I haven't had any issues with my Touch that a simple restart didn't fix.
But I also haven't updated the firmware and won't until all the issues have been worked out.

Having said that, I have gone back to using my WiFi Kobo because I prefer the way it displays the books in the Library.
I can easily see what books are Finished and the % Read of any others I may have opened.

I won't be updating the Touch until Kobo re-instates those designations or provides a means to do collections. If they decide to not do either, I'll be selling my Touch.
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Love my Kobo. While it does have its share of flaws, most of them have been getting fixed on a timely basis.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
I'm happy with mine. I bought a Kobo Wifi because it was $50 at a closing Borders, and decided to upgrade to the Touch. It has its problems but it fixed a lot of major issues I had with the Kobo Wifi.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
My wife still uses her Kobo original and while it is a solid little reader I really do like the extras the touch has introduced.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
I still love my original Kobo and my Kobo Touch. They do exactly what I need - allow me to read e-books. Naturally the KT is much nicer.....

Yes, there are a few issues with the firmware, but I have yet to purchase any device which is perfect and can't be improved on. Of course, there will be occasional hardware failures, but that is to be expected as well.

Perhaps some people's expectations are a little unreasonable. It only costs $130 these days - for heaven's sake.....

Enjoy your reading!
John - in Japan for just one more week
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #13
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I'm happy with my KT. Not my main ereader so perhaps I didn't put it as thoroughly through its paces as others, but I've been seemingly lucky in avoiding some of the major issues such as the storage error. I like the often hated social features -- they're why I bought it after all -- and I love the endless text customisation options.

I do wish that the Kobo team either tested their firmware releases more thoroughly or rolled out a hotfix for the storage error more quickly. Yes, bugs are to be expected and I'm sure the Kobo devs were working hard to fix this error, but seeing threads made by rightfully upset users about the storage error across so many days with little Kobo acknowledgement I'm afraid has destroyed the good impression that many around MR first had when they saw the KT's quick firmware updates in action. Not to mention that MR threads concerning the KT come within the top three results of a Google search.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Two Kobo Touches (wife & me). First eInk eReader and no problems or issues to date (even including the storage bug that affect quite a few on this forum). Have no reason not to recommend/give it a thumbs up at this stage.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Thanks for this thread.
Although I was one of those badly affected by the storage error debacle I voted that I am happy with my Touch.
During the weeks that I waited for the update to fix that problem I did wonder if I had made the correct decision to purchase the Touch and briefly considered getting a Kindle as they are now widely available in Australia. However I don't like the keyboard and the price is $100 more than I paid for the Touch ($219 compared to $128 which included a $10 Kobo gift card.)
I do wish Kobo had been more vocal in reassuring those with Storage Error problems that they recognised the problem existed and that they were working on it. Even after reading on MR and Get Satisfaction that a firmware update was on it's way I was told by the customer service (!) person dealing with me that they had no idea what I was talking about and that I had obviously caused this problem by doing something wrong.
That type of response doesn't help Kobo's reputation and if I hadn't been happy with my original Kobo for the previous 12 months I most likely would have abandoned Kobo as a total waste of time and money.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote