Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a big caveat, though. Forget to pause it and you could find yourself up the proverbial creek. It's far safer (IMHO) to simply store a copy of your library in Dropbox, and use a sync tool to manually sync that copy with your live library.
@HarryT - I'm with you on this

I used Dropbox for a while. but not for calibre data, IIRC it has CLI options for Pause and Resume. So one could script something like

dropbox.exe -pause
calibre.exe --with_library "blah blah blah"
dropbox.exe -resume

But I'm not sure what would happen if calibre was restarted for some reason (add/remove a custom column, added a plug-in, restart in debug etc). Would the dropbox.exe -resume be executed before the restart, would it be the same on the 3 OS's.

And IIRC Resume is option on the dropbox tray item context menu - whoops.

BR

PS : Sod's and Murphy's Laws are subtly different - maybe too subtle for those from the Far Eastern Shore, The basic laws - Murphy’s and Sod’s

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-13-2016 at 05:44 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
HarryT, JSWolf, I am not sure why you feel the need to protect users from making their own informed risk analysis. I prefer to make the options clear and let the user decide!

In the long run, you are only encouraging people to not think for themselves, which is the true cause of most errors.
Expressing your own personal comfort zone as The One Single Option, does nothing whatsoever other than confuse people.

BetterRed -- calibre will respawn itself on top of the initial process, so the script will never proceed to the next command until calibre is properly closed.

As for scripting Dropbox, they have a python script which interacts via unix sockets with Dropbox and allows you to issue a "dropbox.py [start|stop|status]" command. But I don't believe there is a Windows equivalent.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-14-2016 at 11:09 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
BetterRed -- calibre will respawn itself on top of the initial process, so the script will never proceed to the next command until calibre is properly closed.
Thanks - that's good to know, I have thought about running calibre from a script from time to time, but I always found a simpler way to do whatever it was

BR
Old 09-13-2016, 06:47 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How does one know when the Dropbox process is done copying?

I know I have closed Calibre only to want to reopen it right away. But in order to do that Dropbox would have to be finished.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Thank you HarryT and JSWolf for your pedanticism... I prefer to make the options clear and let the user decide!

Expressing your own personal comfort zone as The One Single Option, does nothing whatsoever other than confuse people.

As for scripting Dropbox, they have a python script which interacts via unix sockets with Dropbox and allows you to issue a "dropbox.py [start|stop|status]" command. But I don't believe there is a Windows equivalent.
Do you really feel it's OK to risk your library?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you really feel it is relevant?

But as it happens, I don't believe it is worth it to risk my library, and yet I keep my library directly in Dropbox -- I don't regard it as risky, therefore your question is fundamentally flawed.

Nor does it matter whether Dropbox is finished syncing, if you do not modify your calibre library from multiple computers. I don't, therefore the only worry is actually having simultaneous access violations -- which is dead simple to solve in a robust, absolutely accurate manner.

The proof is that I have done it for years and years, and never once messed up my calibre library.

So much for hasty absolutes. Did I mention I believe it wiser to offer information, then leave the choice in the hands of the questioner?
Old 09-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How does one know when the Dropbox process is done copying?

I know I have closed Calibre only to want to reopen it right away. But in order to do that Dropbox would have to be finished.
Surely it animates it tray icon when its syncing.

Are you implying Dropbox synching is uninterruptable, if that's true I'm flabbergasted anyone would use it.

Even a miserable bit torrent client like utorrent can do that - i.e. pause its seeding and leeching until its resumed - next bloody week if needs be.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-13-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Then let me ease your mind -- like most of the civilized e-world, Dropbox can be interrupted.

They call that "Pausing".

As long as Dropbox and calibre do not run at the same moment and mess each other up with file locks, it doesn't matter how much or little Dropbox successfully syncs each time.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:15 PM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You got me
Why not a Plugin Dropbox seems to have a CLI

Code:
status       get current status of the dropboxd
help         provide help
puburl       get public url of a file in your dropbox
stop         stop dropboxd
running      return whether dropbox is running
start        start dropboxd
filestatus   get current sync status of one or more files
ls           list directory contents with current sync status