Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Paper Manufacturer Says Print More

Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 04:59 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I just had a thought about this when I had to get the printer hooked up to make copies of my tax returns. I hadn't used it since the last time I made tax copies.

It's funny because I remember that I use to use the printer all the time. Now, everything is e-mailed documents. (I'm of the older generation.)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I really don't use my printer a lot, either... I used to print everything! Now I just copy, paste and put into a suitable file on my computer... or even just onto a sticky note.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:25 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I spent most of my life up to the ears in paper -- that was how busy news rooms used to be anywhere in the world. Now, I have one steno pad and a single pen (both underemployed) on my desk, alongside a PD, a laptop, a netbook and, of course, a Sony PRS-505. Must admit, though, it took some years to get used to the idea of a paper-free office and to feel comfortable about the fact that words on screen are just as real and at least as permanent as words on paper. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I only use the printer when I want a physical copy for making notes/drawings. Or because I want to be able to put it in my pocket for easy viewing (directions, for example).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2010, 04:41 AM   #6
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
My printer gets used so infrequently that it's usually clogged when I actually need it.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #7
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I think it is directly related to ebooks, in fact this is precisely why I bought an ebook reader. I used to print off academic journal articles, essays, book chapters etc. and carry them around in lever arch files, which became increasingly disorganised the longer I had them. Now everything gets put into folders on my reader and it organises itself on the basis of the metadata in the individual files.

I used to buy a box of paper (that's 2500 sheets!) every couple of months. I haven't bought a box for at least three months and there are still more than three reams left of the last box I bought.

I find I still need to do final proofing of my own stuff from hard copy though - but that is possibly just some kind of "hand over anxiety" on my part - at some level I still believe that if I haven't seen what I produce printed I can't really sign off on it. But I'm getting there!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Our colour bubble-jet ink cartridges have dried up. Our mono laser gets used frequently as our youngest daughter is still at school. She prints colour as needed at school.

Even at work, plans are printed to PDF to email out to Operations (construction) or managers.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Paper Manufacturer Says Print More
So no ulterior motive then.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #10
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
So no ulterior motive then.
They're the victims here!
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Want people to do more printing, send them to Uni. I still cannot believe the amount of printing we are required to do; print these slides out for the lecture, type and print out your answers to give to the class, print AND electronically submit your assignments, print print print print.

So much for computers and technology giving us the paper-less office!!
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #12
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
I print an awful lot of information at work. We go through many reams of paper each week and seem to go through toner at an alarming rate. There really is no alternative to this as draft reports must be printed for senior management to read. As yet we have not got our senior management to the point of the paperless office. At home and for study, I much prefer to use my Kindle or Ipad for reading and to avoid the overuse of printing. I have a beautiful A3 colour printer that is rarely used. When I need photogrpahs printed, I generally send them off to a trusted pro lab to be done and have been seriously considerign disposing of the A3 printer.
Williams is speaking fromt he position of a manufacturer whose livelihood is on the line if we continue to move away from traditional printed material and can therefore be largely discounted inhis views. Even if his company was using sustainable processes, there is still a huge toxic footprint on our planet formt he paper manufacturing process as well as th eprocess for producing inks and toners. Many years ago, my partner worked as a maintance fitter in a plane manufacturing pigments for inks, paints and dyes. Still today, 20 years after he ceased workign for htis company, he continues to presnet on an anula basis for testing to ensure that he has not developed bladder cancer from the toxic chemicals used in the production of these substances. Thew company he worked for was resposnible and insisted on full protective gear and have comitted to life time monitoring of former employees. Another company near by were less so and their workers handled this chemical in ordianry clothing and no protective gear. This is in a conutry with strong work safety legislation. What is the fate of third world workers who now take on the manufacturing tasks for these chemicals. The THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT message must be promoted and ahered to as far as possible.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:03 AM   #13
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
He's just worried about toilet paper.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #14
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
He's just worried about toilet paper.
When my son was little he almost developed an issue with toilets. I always used recycled toilet paper and, in the way that only a four-year-old could, made sense of this by imagining that all the toilet paper we used was collected somewhere and recycled to be used again as toilet paper. It was an idea that didn't have much appeal to him, but maybe it's the way to go!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
My printer gets used so infrequently that it's usually clogged when I actually need it.
Which is why we bought that laser printer! We're (still) rebuilding (and will be for a few more years to come, most likely ) and so printing things can be very handy, especially designs and plans, etc.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote