Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
Blrp
Blrp began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-reader with tabs?

I'm thinking of getting an E-reader, but in order to use it for college work I'll sometimes need to have a textbook, an exercise book and a solutions manual open at the same time, so I'll need an E-reader that can handle multiple tabs, like in a web browser. I'll also need to it be able to have the same book open in two tabs in two different places, and it'd be neat if it could easily and conveniently jump to a certain page by typing in the page number for example. (And when I switch back to a tab I of course don't want it to be scrolled back up to the top.)

I also want to be able to connect it to a computer and copy files to and from the device, and I want it to be able to handle common formats such as pdf and epub, or at least some format to which one can easily convert pdf and epub.
Blrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I suggest, on the information given, that a netbook would suit your needs much better than an ereader.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blrp View Post
I'm thinking of getting an E-reader, but in order to use it for college work I'll sometimes need to have a textbook, an exercise book and a solutions manual open at the same time, so I'll need an E-reader that can handle multiple tabs, like in a web browser. I'll also need to it be able to have the same book open in two tabs in two different places, and it'd be neat if it could easily and conveniently jump to a certain page by typing in the page number for example. (And when I switch back to a tab I of course don't want it to be scrolled back up to the top.)

I also want to be able to connect it to a computer and copy files to and from the device, and I want it to be able to handle common formats such as pdf and epub, or at least some format to which one can easily convert pdf and epub.
Newer Pocketbook readers can do almost everything you ask. I have a PB 912 which can easily switch between multiple open books. They aren't tabs but the process is easy. You can type in a page number to go to easily enough. I've never tried to have a book open twice but I think the only way you can do it is with two copies of the same book. Sideloading is typically how you load books onto the PB. AFAIK no other reader can handle more formats than PB. Finding one for sale in the US might be problematic.

I don't have my PB here as I rarely use it anymore. I'll verify that you can't open the same book this evening.

Like meera says a netbook might be better. Firefox with various plugins (pdf, epub, etc) could probably do everything you want.

Last edited by JimMcLaren; 07-22-2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Added more info
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Another option could simply be using three adequate e-readers or two e-readers and tablet simultaneously, as one would handle several paper books, exercise books and notebooks.

Onyx Boox M92 Multitasking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDm9V1PuDlk

Sony DPT-S1's tabs for multiple opened pdfs and pdf notebooks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIcL1nz9-ME

Android 4 based e-readers like Onyx t68, M96, future i86 could also be worthy of giving it a try.

Last edited by markom; 07-22-2014 at 02:18 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't think any ereader does "tabs".

As suggested, the PB seems to do multitasking well.

The Kobo or Kindle should also do well, in the sense that your place in a book is remembered, and when you re-open the book (from the home screen) you will be exactly where you were before. Even though the book isn't open the whole time, it should come to the same thing.

Page Numbers:

On the Kindle, there is a GOTO menu, where you can type in page numbers to go to -- but only if the book has an APNX. Many books purchased from Amazon have an APNX, but sideloaded books will probably have to have one generated. It would depend on how good your source info was. PDFs automatically have page numbers, and entirely accurate ones.

Any other reader will probably be ADE-based, and will lie to you by saying (assuming there isn't a Page-map or PageList inside the book) that every 1024 characters (compressed) in the book's text is a page -- even though it almost definitely isn't. I guess the idea is, most people won't notice the difference if you just toss them a wild (rough) guess -- of course, they happen to be right.
I don't know how Kobo/B&N handle accurate Page Numbers in store-bought books.

calibre can convert EPUBs to AZW3 for the Kindle, if necessary (or vice versa).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
Newer Pocketbook readers
I've never tried to have a book open twice but I think the only way you can do it is with two copies of the same book.
You are right. You can't have the same book opened twice.
But you can use bookmarks, or have several copies of book as separate files.
There are several interesting models available.

Nevertheless, an e-ink device is not a good way to read textbooks or reference books. Ebook readers are perfectly suited for reading fiction in a linear fashion - from beginning to the end, one book at the time. Of course you can switch books when you get bored or something, but not every 2 minutes.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Using a netbook or laptop might not help, as you can only have one instance of most ereader apps open at the same time, and most do not have any provision for having multiple books open at the same time.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Using a netbook or laptop might not help, as you can only have one instance of most ereader apps open at the same time, and most do not have any provision for having multiple books open at the same time.
For PDF that is untrue.

For any other format, that is irrelevant, since it only matters if there is one that allows it -- like calibre.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I never think of PDF when thinking of ebooks.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I never think of PDF when thinking of ebooks.
But apparently the OP does...
Old 07-23-2014, 03:03 AM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I'd recommend tablet(s). I use GoodReader on iOS. A laptop would work, too. I just find reading on tablets easier since I can view PDF pages fullscreen in portrait whereas I tend to have to scroll around a lot on my laptops (12-13.3").

Personally, even with tabs, it just wasn't the same as having multiple printed books open at the same time. Thankfully, we had 2 iPads and the PDF allowed printing so what I ended up doing was a copy of the textbook, exercise book and solutions manual on each iPad plus a print out of the exercise pages (for the current topic) in a binder.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't think any ereader does "tabs".
No current one, perhaps, but the old 10.2" iRex DR1000S, which I still have lying around somewhere, had an extremely nice tabbed interface, and was perfect for doing academic research, where you want to have several documents open, and flip between them.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-23-2014 at 12:54 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:50 PM   #13
Blrp
Blrp began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for all the help. I'm having a hard time deciding between Onyx M92 and PB 912. Where can I find either of them for purchase? I live in Sweden.
Blrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blrp View Post
Thanks for all the help. I'm having a hard time deciding between Onyx M92 and PB 912. Where can I find either of them for purchase? I live in Sweden.
They tend not to be sold in shops, but easy to buy online. For Onyx devices, try either onyx-boox.com or ereader-store.eu. I'm sure that someone else can advise you where to buy Pocketbook readers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No current one, perhaps, but the old 8" iRex DR1000S, which I still have lying around somewhere, had an extremely nice tabbed interface, and was perfect for doing academic research, where you want to have several documents open, and flip between them.
That does sound nice.

There is definitely a lack of development for the academic use of ebooks -- it all seems to be geared towards casual novel-reading recently.

Tags
e-reader, tabs