Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #181
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That wont work. It will make Charis look different. I love how small it is and fits more words per page.
Oh, maybe I find some easy way to make the line spacing change. There is gotta be a simple fix. Or you could just ask your hubby which knob to turn to get it to work.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #182
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Oh, maybe I find some easy way to make the line spacing change. There is gotta be a simple fix. Or you could just ask your hubby which knob to turn to get it to work.
I got it figure out. You can do it in both programs just change the Win-Ascent Win-Descent values in metrics.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #183
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

I thought it already is public. And we need to keep asking questions. If nobody asks anything new any more, then we can't find a solution.
It's public, but if anyone doesn't read the Kindle forum, then they'll miss this.

What I plan on doing is releasing a new Charis SIL Modified based on the information in this thread. Blossom has given me some things to work on to see how they look. I'm going to play with the line spacing as some may not like it as tight as I had it. I'll do two versions. One as tight and one less tight. But I am going the weight some to make it more readable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 AM   #184
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
Is there any (easy) way to modify the size of a font? One of my favorite fonts on the K3 and K4 is called Fanwood Text, but on the Paperwhite it renders as either too small or too large. When viewed on the second highest setting (to the right,) it is just a shade too large. If I could either make the font a bit smaller or a bit larger, then it would be just right. Is there any program where I could do this?
Besides editing the font, you can also edit the font sizes the Kindle offers.
If you install JBPatch you can tweak the fontsizes the Kindle offers and many other things.
You can also install Coolreader3 - version from CrazyCoder works nice and there you can set ANY fontzise, line spacing you wish. Plus, you can set many other things.

Last edited by kacir; 01-20-2013 at 02:02 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #185
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I've managed to install the JBPatch, how do you use it to change the font sizes?

Edit: Never mind, I've figured it out.

Thanks everyone who gave me tips. I was about ready to return my Paperwhite, because I could never find a font I liked.

Last edited by sneakyspider; 01-20-2013 at 01:36 PM.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #186
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Hello.

I use High Logic FontCreator 6.0,

When I use Tools-Glyph transformer, everything is ok.

But, I have a problem when I try to adjust line spacing in Verdana fonts.

I go to Format-Settings-Metrics and change the next options:

- Win adscent
- Win descent
- Typo Line Gap
- Line Gap.

When I go to Font-Test, the line spacing change well, it is obvious, but...

When I select Verdana fonts in my Aa kindle paperwhite, the line spacing don't change, I only change it with kindle options.

Can you help me with this?

Thanks ;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #187
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Hello.

I use High Logic FontCreator 6.0,

When I use Tools-Glyph transformer, everything is ok.

But, I have a problem when I try to adjust line spacing in Verdana fonts.

I go to Format-Settings-Metrics and change the next options:

- Win adscent
- Win descent
- Typo Line Gap
- Line Gap.

When I go to Font-Test, the line spacing change well, it is obvious, but...

When I select Verdana fonts in my Aa kindle paperwhite, the line spacing don't change, I only change it with kindle options.

Can you help me with this?

Thanks ;-)
In Mobi, the line spacing is set by the firmware. The only place the line spacing of the font makes a difference is when embedded in KF8. So unless you are using KF8, line spacing matters not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #188
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm trying to exercise in self-promotion outside of Developer's Corner, so... if you want to thank the person who originally discovered and described USE_ALT_FONTS method, you just listened to his shameless modest words: "I'm starving for karma glad it was useful to so many people."
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #189
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
how many times have you restarted the Kindle since the update?
I have restarted PW many times since update. In the end, I removed fonts folder and empty folder, put again empty folder and fonts folder only with Charis and now its working. Now all I need is patience to try adding other fonts all over again
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #190
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In Mobi, the line spacing is set by the firmware. The only place the line spacing of the font makes a difference is when embedded in KF8. So unless you are using KF8, line spacing matters not.
Thanks!, it is.

I always send my books by wifi in mobi.

Now, I send by USB in format AZW3, and line spacing works fine...

: Thanks:
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #191
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
I have restarted PW many times since update. In the end, I removed fonts folder and empty folder, put again empty folder and fonts folder only with Charis and now its working. Now all I need is patience to try adding other fonts all over again
Yay! Happy you got it working again.

I have finally reach my limit in fonts. After 10 the screen cuts off the line and margin settings completely. At 10 you can barely see those settings but I can still select the top of the icons and change them but after 10 you can't. I added a screenshot to show what I mean and put a number be each of the custom fonts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fontlimit.png
Views:	365
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	99841  
Old 01-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #192
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Yay! Happy you got it working again.

I have finally reach my limit in fonts. After 10 the screen cuts off the line and margin settings completely. At 10 you can barely see those settings but I can still select the top of the icons and change them but after 10 you can't. I added a screenshot to show what I mean and put a number be each of the custom fonts.
Font envy all over again but I will reach there at some time, I know Thanks!
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #193
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Font envy all over again but I will reach there at some time, I know Thanks!
I've been going through my font discs from back in my Web Designer days. It's so hard for me to find a serif font I like. I have too many Sans Serifs as you can see. I do now have a full set of Amasis which is nice. The Amasis I have been using now for over a year is mixed up of 3 font families. Amasis, Helvetica Neue and Chaparral Pro. It's also has been resized to be larger something I never would've caught before. Amasis MT is the perfect size once I added weight.

If I wasn't so worried about bricking my PW I would jailbreak it and install the hack for font sizes.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #194
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I haven't done the font size jailbreak, but I did the regular jailbreak and the one for collections management - with fear and trembling - but it actually turned out to be fairly easy and painless. I'm debating now whether to install the book covers hack, but that one sounds rather more complex, and like you I'm nervous about bricking my PW.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #195
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Helvetica 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I use Helvetica largest size and it is perfect for me.
I use Helvetica 6 and it seems better to me than all these imported fonts I've seen in this thread.

Remember the KISS principle from the days of yore: "Keep It Simple Stupid?'

You folks must have spent far more time on jailbreaking, font testing and other schemes than reading any eBooks.

By the way, Moon+ Reader Pro at the Amazon site has a RED "X" next to the Kindle Fire HD so Amazon has not yet approved that app for that device, either.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-21-2013 at 04:18 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote