Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #61
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTess View Post
In Canada...

Quick question - for charging my Arc (when it arrives) is it true all I need is a mini USB cable? Can I continue to use the one from my Vox?

Thanks!
While we recommend using the charger that comes with the Arc, the vox charger should work fine as well as many other 3rd party chargers.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #62
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
While we recommend using the charger that comes with the Arc, the vox charger should work fine as well as many other 3rd party chargers.
So, basically, any other (micro) USB wall charger?
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #63
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
So, basically, any other (micro) USB wall charger?
It would be to easy for me to say it that way and then be attacked when someone finds some random charger that doesn't work. So I'm going to stick with my first answer.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #64
GinRummy
GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In Canada...

Quick question - for charging my Arc (when it arrives) is it true all I need is a mini USB cable? Can I continue to use the one from my Vox?

Thanks!
It comes with a charger that only plugs into the wall. If you want to plug into your pc or laptop you will need to buy a usb 2.0 cable with a MICRO end on it, not a usb mini. Yes, there is a difference. For me that difference was that I have 10 usb mini cables lying around from cameras and cell phones I no longer use and not one MICRo cable to be found so I had to go to my local "The Source" store and pay $24.99 for a blackberry micro usb cable. I am quite sure they can be found for much cheaper but you can't be adhd without impulsive spending, now can you?

On the plus side, while I was there I also purchased a Gnarlyfish "Aquisition Portfolio" for 7" tablets for $24.99 as well. A nice little book style cover that contorts itself into a stand that props your arc up for the hands-free reading necessary when munching goopy chicken wings or pizza.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...language=en-CA
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #65
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
On the plus side, while I was there I also purchased a Gnarlyfish "Aquisition Portfolio" for 7" tablets for $24.99 as well. A nice little book style cover that contorts itself into a stand that props your arc up for the hands-free reading necessary when munching goopy chicken wings or pizza.

Got this one for a year now with my Vox. It's great.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #66
skouly
skouly began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch, HP TouchPad
Comparison of Nexus 7 and Kobo Arc

In response to RJD from Nov 25: I am also interested in getting a newer smaller tablet, since I currently have an HP Touchpad that is just a bit too large to read e-books on. I was set on purchasing a Google Nexus 7, since it is about half the weight and physical size of a Touchpad, but has better resolution and will run all the Android apps I need effortlessly (where my Touchpad is now rapidly becoming useless due to the lack of new WebOS apps).

I have actually already purchased a Nexus 7, but haven't opened the box yet. I wanted to be sure the Nexus will give me what I want in a small tablet.

I went to my local Indigo bookstore where they had both the Nexus 7 and Kobo Arc, side to side and was allowed to tinker with both for about an hour and a half (I know someone there who appreciated my tech knowledge). I allowed each unit to download all the current updates and set both up with similar apps, also disabling auto brightness and bringing both up to full brightness.

I did this twice at 2 different stores (the second was at a local Chapters bookstore).

The Kobo Arc is noticeably brighter and punchier than the Nexus 7. Both are very bright in daylight and both have great black levels, with the Nexus 7 possibly having a bit darker blacks, but this was very hard to confirm, as I could not lower the store lights (the brighter/punchier Kobo display was very evident). An HD picture of a grizzled Bob Dylan on the Arc almost appeared 3-D compared to the Nexus 7 display due to the punchy, bright colours and contrasts. I also did the "Sunset on Mars" test, looking up a very high res image of a "Sunset on Mars" image on Google and zoomed up the display to full. The image on the Arc was beautiful and clear, the image on the Nexus 7, while also quite nice, showed dithering around the sunset, which has been discussed in other forums and by a prominent display research website.

The sound on the Arc was clearly better. At full volume for the identical video, I only had to go to about 55-60% on the volume slider on the Arc (with SRS activated - Bass on 70% and Treble on 50%) to get an identical sound output (I used a sound meter app on my phone to compare and my ears confimed the volume). The Arc, at full volume, could be heard across the large bookstore (and got me a warning from store staff!).

What was quite surprising was the speed advantage the Kobo Arc had in loading Fruit Ninja HD. I started both at the same time and the Arc was up and playing a full 5 seconds quicker. I thought this was odd and started another game, Gun Zombie: Hellgate, and again, the Arc loaded up quicker than the Nexus 7.

This was so surprising to me because the Nexus 7 has a quad core processor. So I did some online research and saw that the dual-core 1.5 gHz processor in the Arc actually benchmarks higher than quad-core 1.3 gHz processor in the Nexus 7 in most benchmarks, or ties the Nexus 7, at the least, even in GPU and gaming benchmarks for FPS.

The Nexus 7 is arguably nicer looking, as the edge to edge glass looks very sharp and current. However, in online research, there a great deal of folks who have complaints about easily broken displays. This makes sense, as any contact with a floor or desktop from any significant height would hit a glass edge causing glass to be compressed and cracked. The Arc, while looking more plain, has a raised bezel all the way around the glass. Not as nice looking, but perhaps very functional.

The Nexus 7 is smoother than the Arc when scrolling and flicking between screens. Not much better, but noticeably. I would like to see how the Arc does with Jellybean installed. I suspect it will be as smooth as the Nexus 7, because it's not far off now.

I really like the Nexus 7 USB-OTG capability, which allows connection to USB sticks, USB drives, etc. for extra storage (which requires software, but no longer requires rooting, just an app, Nexus Media Importer). This is something the Arc doesn't support.

I don't know how the batteries compare in actual use, as I doubt the nice folks at the bookstores were going to allow me to play with the tablets for 10 hours or so (neither would my wife!). I also want to mention that I don't work for any of these companies, nor do I own any stock. I am just looking at spending close to $1000 to buy 3 identical tablets (one for myself and 2 as gifts, with accessories) and want to make sure I get the best value available for our needs.

I have a new Nexus 7 on my dining room table and have already ordered the USB-OTG cable for it from eBay already, but I have to admit, I am probably going to return the Nexus 7 and buy 3 Kobo Arcs. If Jellybean were available now, I think it would be a no-brainer to choose the Arc over the Nexus 7. As it stands, the Arc has a better display, better sound, very fast processor that apparently gives up nothing to the Nexus 7, while the Nexus 7 looks nicer, has Jellybean right now and is a bit more storage expandable.

Oh, and by the way, since this is mobileread.com, i should mention that I also thought the text was just a bit easier to read on the Arc, at tiny font sizes, than the Nexus 7 (my 14 year old daughter also agreed).

To the folks at Kobo: I think you have a great product in the Arc. I'll admit, I hated the Vox, and I was quite hesitant to look at the Arc due to the Vox deficiencies. If you get Jellybean on there soon (and I know it's "in development now"), I think you have a real winner. Show us that the battery life lasts about as long as the battery life on the Nexus 7 (according to online reviews) and I think you have hit a homerun with the Arc.

My two cents...
skouly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #67
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Quote:

I've been looking for a cover.... Thanks for posting the link!
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #68
eTess
Enthusiast
eTess began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
Thanks - and I misspoke, I meant to ask, for transferring from my computer to my Arc (when it arrives), will any mini USB cable do?

But knowing I can use the Vox charger in a pinch is good

I appreciate your quick responses here on this board!!
eTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #69
eTess
Enthusiast
eTess began at the beginning.

Quote:
It comes with a charger that only plugs into the wall. If you want to plug into your pc or laptop you will need to buy a usb 2.0 cable with a MICRO end on it, not a usb mini. Yes, there is a difference. For me that difference was that I have 10 usb mini cables lying around from cameras and cell phones I no longer use and not one MICRo cable to be found so I had to go to my local "The Source" store and pay $24.99 for a blackberry micro usb cable. I am quite sure they can be found for much cheaper but you can't be adhd without impulsive spending, now can you?

Thanks for the great info!!! Both about the micro USB cable and the cover/stand
eTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #70
RJD
RJD began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1, thinking about a Kobo Arc or Nexus 7
Much thanks to Skouly for the comparison. I was able to take a very quick look at the two tablets at a local Chapters today and the Arc's display looked good to me as well. The wifi connection was lacklustre in the store though, so I wasn't able to load up any video. I'm definitely leaning towards the Arc at this point, especially given the $40 price difference in Canada.
RJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #71
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by skouly View Post
In response to RJD from Nov 25: I am also interested in getting a newer smaller tablet, since I currently have an HP Touchpad that is just a bit too large to read e-books on. I was set on purchasing a Google Nexus 7, since it is about half the weight and physical size of a Touchpad, but has better resolution and will run all the Android apps I need effortlessly (where my Touchpad is now rapidly becoming useless due to the lack of new WebOS apps).

I have actually already purchased a Nexus 7, but haven't opened the box yet. I wanted to be sure the Nexus will give me what I want in a small tablet.

I went to my local Indigo bookstore where they had both the Nexus 7 and Kobo Arc, side to side and was allowed to tinker with both for about an hour and a half (I know someone there who appreciated my tech knowledge). I allowed each unit to download all the current updates and set both up with similar apps, also disabling auto brightness and bringing both up to full brightness.

I did this twice at 2 different stores (the second was at a local Chapters bookstore).

The Kobo Arc is noticeably brighter and punchier than the Nexus 7. Both are very bright in daylight and both have great black levels, with the Nexus 7 possibly having a bit darker blacks, but this was very hard to confirm, as I could not lower the store lights (the brighter/punchier Kobo display was very evident). An HD picture of a grizzled Bob Dylan on the Arc almost appeared 3-D compared to the Nexus 7 display due to the punchy, bright colours and contrasts. I also did the "Sunset on Mars" test, looking up a very high res image of a "Sunset on Mars" image on Google and zoomed up the display to full. The image on the Arc was beautiful and clear, the image on the Nexus 7, while also quite nice, showed dithering around the sunset, which has been discussed in other forums and by a prominent display research website.

The sound on the Arc was clearly better. At full volume for the identical video, I only had to go to about 55-60% on the volume slider on the Arc (with SRS activated - Bass on 70% and Treble on 50%) to get an identical sound output (I used a sound meter app on my phone to compare and my ears confimed the volume). The Arc, at full volume, could be heard across the large bookstore (and got me a warning from store staff!).

What was quite surprising was the speed advantage the Kobo Arc had in loading Fruit Ninja HD. I started both at the same time and the Arc was up and playing a full 5 seconds quicker. I thought this was odd and started another game, Gun Zombie: Hellgate, and again, the Arc loaded up quicker than the Nexus 7.

This was so surprising to me because the Nexus 7 has a quad core processor. So I did some online research and saw that the dual-core 1.5 gHz processor in the Arc actually benchmarks higher than quad-core 1.3 gHz processor in the Nexus 7 in most benchmarks, or ties the Nexus 7, at the least, even in GPU and gaming benchmarks for FPS.

The Nexus 7 is arguably nicer looking, as the edge to edge glass looks very sharp and current. However, in online research, there a great deal of folks who have complaints about easily broken displays. This makes sense, as any contact with a floor or desktop from any significant height would hit a glass edge causing glass to be compressed and cracked. The Arc, while looking more plain, has a raised bezel all the way around the glass. Not as nice looking, but perhaps very functional.

The Nexus 7 is smoother than the Arc when scrolling and flicking between screens. Not much better, but noticeably. I would like to see how the Arc does with Jellybean installed. I suspect it will be as smooth as the Nexus 7, because it's not far off now.

I really like the Nexus 7 USB-OTG capability, which allows connection to USB sticks, USB drives, etc. for extra storage (which requires software, but no longer requires rooting, just an app, Nexus Media Importer). This is something the Arc doesn't support.

I don't know how the batteries compare in actual use, as I doubt the nice folks at the bookstores were going to allow me to play with the tablets for 10 hours or so (neither would my wife!). I also want to mention that I don't work for any of these companies, nor do I own any stock. I am just looking at spending close to $1000 to buy 3 identical tablets (one for myself and 2 as gifts, with accessories) and want to make sure I get the best value available for our needs.

I have a new Nexus 7 on my dining room table and have already ordered the USB-OTG cable for it from eBay already, but I have to admit, I am probably going to return the Nexus 7 and buy 3 Kobo Arcs. If Jellybean were available now, I think it would be a no-brainer to choose the Arc over the Nexus 7. As it stands, the Arc has a better display, better sound, very fast processor that apparently gives up nothing to the Nexus 7, while the Nexus 7 looks nicer, has Jellybean right now and is a bit more storage expandable.

Oh, and by the way, since this is mobileread.com, i should mention that I also thought the text was just a bit easier to read on the Arc, at tiny font sizes, than the Nexus 7 (my 14 year old daughter also agreed).

To the folks at Kobo: I think you have a great product in the Arc. I'll admit, I hated the Vox, and I was quite hesitant to look at the Arc due to the Vox deficiencies. If you get Jellybean on there soon (and I know it's "in development now"), I think you have a real winner. Show us that the battery life lasts about as long as the battery life on the Nexus 7 (according to online reviews) and I think you have hit a homerun with the Arc.

My two cents...
I'm trying to find the high five key on my keyboard....

Thanks for this, I have already forwarded it via email to the team.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #72
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Thanks - and I misspoke, I meant to ask, for transferring from my computer to my Arc (when it arrives), will any mini USB cable do?

But knowing I can use the Vox charger in a pinch is good

I appreciate your quick responses here on this board!!
No worries, I am here as another user and a fan.

Yes, any micro usb should work.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #73
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Dammit. I *knew* I had no willpower, yet still I made the mistake of stopping in to the Coles at West End Mall here in Hellifax. Oh, well. At least I have the GST (and a couple of other credits) coming in January, so this black 16GB Arc'll be paid off relatively soon.

Now to check the manual to see what color light indicates it's full up on charge. :P
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #74
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead

Quote:
Dammit. I *knew* I had no willpower, yet still I made the mistake of stopping in to the Coles at West End Mall here in Hellifax. Oh, well. At least I have the GST (and a couple of other credits) coming in January, so this black 16GB Arc'll be paid off relatively soon.

Now to check the manual to see what color light indicates it's full up on charge. :P
Awesome! Hopefully you'll use Tapestries and Discovery for a while to give it a chance!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #75
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:

Yeah if my wife hadn't bought it for me first, I would have broken down and gotten it the first time I was in Chapters. I've been loving my Arc for almost 2 weeks now.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote