Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #166
eTess
Enthusiast
eTess began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
[QUOTE=JD Gumby;2340056]The lack of GPS is the culprit here - it's flagged to require your precise location (as opposed to coarse location, which is done through wi-fi triangulation and which, as Google Map shows, is actually very, very precise :/)

Thanks, JD - in that case, I'm just as glad I can't install it. I'd rather not be tweeting when on the move and having the GPS identify my exact location!

Appreciate the feedback

Tess
eTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #167
SpeedySparky
SpeedySparky began at the beginning.

Device: NONE
Hello, I've been reading all the posts and up until the last few had just decided to get a 32Gb Arc then read it doesn't have GPS, There are so meny good things you can use it for especially when linked to a smart phone or for installing tomtom. Now can you convince me to buy a Arc instead of a nexus 7 (that has GPS). I hope you can because I liked the Arc.
SpeedySparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #168
ns_angela
ns_angela began at the beginning.

So why does tweetdeck work on my computer when there is no GPS in it? But not on a tablet with no GPS?
ns_angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #169
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_angela View Post
So why does tweetdeck work on my computer when there is no GPS in it? But not on a tablet with no GPS?
Because it's not the same program. Serves the same purpose and mostly looks and functions the same, but the code is (and has to be) almost completely different.

And, unlike tablets (where most of the higher-end ones, and virtually all of the cellular ones have it, plus the Nexus 7), desktops with GPSes are non-existant and laptops with GPSes are very rare, so no point even considering it.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #170
asphodeli
asphodeli began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Yeah. There are plenty of apps that're incompatible with the Arc, mainly because the Arc lacks various bits of hardware that get flagged as necessary (my bet is, for most things listed as incompatible, it's the lack of a GPS). Your only hope is to find the APK somewhere and manually install it, hoping that it works...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
This is probably due to their need of a GPS device. 90% of the time that an app says it's incompatible, this is the reason.

Google is said to be working on the widespread issue. Until then, it's up to the developer to change that requirement.
D'oh! Totally forgot about that! I'll see if sideloading works.
asphodeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #171
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Better say hello as i recently aquired a 16gb black arc and like someone else who posted mine is away till Christmas but i've not had the chance to play with it so it is still unopened. Hello to all the Canadian posters on here although i live in Scotland i used to live in Fredericton N.B and spent some time in Halifax(Stadcona).Bought this after comparing the nexus and the arc and prefered the screen of the arc and also liked that it was google certified as i use a HTC one X. i use my phone for everything including watching tv and thought that a slightly bigger screen would be a better option for so much i was doing on the phone. I found this site after i had bought the arc and it has given rise to a couple of concerns that will determine wither the arc gets opened or not. In my reading and in conversation with the salesman it appears that tethering will not be a problem.I am in a rural area with limited wifi in many locations so will have to depend on a 3g connection via my phone.I love unlimited data including tethering contracts The OTG situation i would like clarification on.I know that it is coming to the One X via the soon released JB update. Will this capability come to the arc via a future JB update or have bits been left out of the hardware that will prevent this. I can't quite get a definate on the flash situation.It should run on 4.0.4.It needs a workaround on JB.Is flash working on the arc with 4.0.4.there are still too many sites running flash for it to be left out. HTML5 isn't there yet.This is a main reason i stopped using my windows 7.5 Titan.I'm sure more questions will come up but for now any enlightenment would be appreciated. God bless
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #172
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
I can't quite get a definate on the flash situation.It should run on 4.0.4.It needs a workaround on JB.Is flash working on the arc with 4.0.4.there are still too many sites running flash for it to be left out.
Flash can't be downloaded through the Play Store on the Arc and I've found that the version on GoodEReader.com's app store doesn't work. (or, if it does, no one's told me how to get it to do so)
Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #173
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cheers for the reply. Sadly not what I wanted to hear. Shame as the potential for this to be the premier 7 inch tablet is there. Developers should have thought tablet first and ereader second. There are already plenty of readers out there.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #174
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Really, the odds of getting Flash to work on any newish device (anything that came out after August 15th, IIRC) are very low.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #175
stevov
Groupie

Working fine on my one x on 4.0.4 ics. Even reloaded it after a hard reset. Have you looked on xda development for a solution.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #176
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
Working fine on my one x on 4.0.4 ics. Even reloaded it after a hard reset. Have you looked on xda development for a solution.
Huh. Well. Whaddya know... Thanks. It actually works, unlike the 3-4 other ones I tried over the last week. :P (which all seemed to be the non-working one from GoodEReader)
Old 12-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #177
stevov
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Huh. Well. Whaddya know... Thanks. It actually works, unlike the 3-4 other ones I tried over the last week. :P (which all seemed to be the non-working one from GoodEReader)
So your saying we have Flash
Old 12-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #178
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Yes. The XDA version works.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #179
stevov
Groupie

There is hope for this yet. Now the otg but this could be a two edge sword as the 4.1 JB update that may bring this will take away flash iirc. Unless the good people at xda have a work around for it. But that said if the arc is not capable of otg then I would probably pass on JB update
Old 12-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #180
maccreader
maccreader began at the beginning.

hello
I am trying to connect my Kobo Arc with my laptop running Windows 7. I keep getting the message "USB device not recognized. ". I tried the different USB ports and no result. Other devices like my MP3 player and camera works in these ports. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Also when I tried to contact Kobo customer support, they opened a ticket but nothing after that. I have to call the Canada number every time. Is there a UK customer service no. for Kobo?
maccreader is offline   Reply With Quote