Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Augen "The Book" First Official Firmware Update

Augen finally got around to issuing an official update for "The Book" e-reader. It's on the Augen US website:

http://www.augenus.com/indexhome.html/Updates.html

It's not on the Augen customer support site.

If you don't use DRM'ed epubs purchased from online e-book stores or from the public library, you do not need this update. It doesn't do anything for the wifi, browser, SD card, video, or audio functions of the device. Both the unofficial and official updates install a newer edition of the Adobe DRM software. The unofficial update screwed up the function of the G-Sensor (accelerometer). The official update only halfway restores it.

The instructions provided for the update are almost unintelligible, but it's really not difficult to install. Download and unzip the file to a handy location like your desktop. Connect the turned off e-reader to the computer with the USB cable. Hold down the ALT key on the TB while you press the "ON" key. Windows will see it as a new device. If you passed on the first (unofficial) update, you'll need to install a windows driver. It's in the unzipped folder called "thebooksoftware1". Windows should find the appropriate .inf and .sys files, and install the driver. Be patient, it takes a couple of minutes. (If you already did the unofficial update, you already have the driver installed on your system, so the last couple of sentences don't apply to you.)

Once the driver is installed, all you need to do is double click on the file called "system.bat" in the "thebooksoftware1" folder. A DOS window will pop up and you can watch as the the firmware is re-written. When it's finished, hit any key to exit the program and close the window. Disconnect the TB from the computer and use something like a straightened paperclip to press the RESET button on the back of the device. The instructions from Augen tell you to do /restore and /format functions in the settings menu of the TB afterwards, but this is totally unnecessary, and does not magically make the half-assed upgrade work any better. (Format will erase all your data, including the free e-books, so if you really want to do it in spite of my warning, make a backup copy of your e-books, pictures, audio, and video files.)

The update will bump your Adobe DRM software to version 9.1.28890 (from 9.0xxx). The G-sensor will work as it's supposed to, except for epubs in the Digital Editions folder. With those, the first page that you put into landscape mode will be fine, but all subsequent pages in landscape mode will be blank. At least, that's the way it worked for me.

As usual, you do the update at your own risk.

kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
gintzj
Connoisseur
gintzj began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi model
does it do anything for the clock in keeping time
gintzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gintzj View Post
does it do anything for the clock in keeping time
No, it doesn't fix the clock, but for no reason I can explain, my landscape mode is now working for Digital Editions epubs. Yes!

In an on-line live chat with Mark at Augen Customer Support, I asked if there would be a third firmware update, and he said yes, although no date or details were given.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
RadioMan52
RadioMan52 began at the beginning.

Device: The Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
No, it doesn't fix the clock, but for no reason I can explain, my landscape mode is now working for Digital Editions epubs. Yes!

In an on-line live chat with Mark at Augen Customer Support, I asked if there would be a third firmware update, and he said yes, although no date or details were given.
Kilo,
Did you format and restore your unit?
On number one I just ran the update and a restart, on number two I did a full format and then a factory restore, the landscape mode works on number two but number one is still not working in landscape.
Number three is still virgin.
I think that when you do a restore it remaps and clears up the problem, but then you have to reinstall all of the free books and any thing else that you had on the unit which creates new indexing.
I think that this is needed!
Clocks are still goofy.
"No date or time" I can understand this easily Augen crew are using the TB as a indicator, I sure hope that this "update " is before Labor day. Augen the clock is running, tic, tic, its almost Xma's Time.....
RadioMan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
kilohertz53
Zealot

As a matter of fact, I did restore and format after the update (after backing up everything), but the blank page thing was still going on, just like before the restore and format. That's why I thought it was an unnecessary step. Why it suddenly started working today is a mystery.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
gintzj
Connoisseur

Kilo: How to receive a file from Kindle (amazon)

I have a book in my Kindle for pc folder

How do I bring it back to the TB

Thank you

Jim
Old 08-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
kilohertz53
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gintzj View Post
Kilo: How to receive a file from Kindle (amazon)

I have a book in my Kindle for pc folder

How do I bring it back to the TB

Thank you

Jim
Kindle books are not compatible with the TB because of the Amazon DRM.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
gintzj
Connoisseur

thank you
Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
gintzj
Connoisseur

It is strange that sept 1st and I do not see where a latest version of our TB is on sale anyplace. Not is the heartland catalgue and no new ones at Kmart.

Is our group that only has the TB

Thank you

Jim
Old 09-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
hasfrochbuster
hasfrochbuster began at the beginning.

Device: psp - iphone - Augen The Book.
Any idea about the update for the Aug 30th??? I couldn't find it anyware.

Thanks in advance.
hasfrochbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
gintzj
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasfrochbuster View Post

Thanks in advance.
look above

JIM
Old 09-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
kilohertz53
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasfrochbuster View Post

Thanks in advance.
I think The "August 30th" update is actually the one released on the 26th. They just got it out ahead of schedule. See the first post in the thread for the location.

Check your System Info -- you might not even need the update, depending on when and where you bought your TB.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #13
RadioMan52
RadioMan52 began at the beginning.

Device: The Book
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilohertz53 View Post
As a matter of fact, I did restore and format after the update (after backing up everything), but the blank page thing was still going on, just like before the restore and format. That's why I thought it was an unnecessary step. Why it suddenly started working today is a mystery.
Kilo,
Is it still working?

After performing new software load everything indicates that you have to do a factory restore.
One of the liniux gurus now has a "emulator" running and I expect that they will have some interesting information for us in the near future
Regard.
RadioMan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
ravton
ravton began at the beginning.

Device: REB1200, Augen The Book,
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMan52 View Post
Kilo,
Is it still working?

After performing new software load everything indicates that you have to do a factory restore.
One of the liniux gurus now has a "emulator" running and I expect that they will have some interesting information for us in the near future
Regard.
Well that certainly is interesting and exciting! Anything more you can say on this or a pointer to more information?
ravton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
siskom
siskom began at the beginning.

Device: the book
Augen e-book

I performed the firmware update as described in previous post. It all seemed to upgrade fine but now all it will do is boot up to the screen with the leaf and book and will not go any further can someone help?
siskom is offline   Reply With Quote