Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Rumor: RIM's BlackPad Will Have... Android?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Bla...let,11033.html

"
Apple Daily claims that the BlackPad will be Android-driven.
Will the BlackBerry tablet use the Android OS? That's what Chinese-based Apple Daily reports along with claims that Taiwan-based notebook maker Quanta Computer has signed on to manufacture the device. Even more, RIM's BlackPad is slated for a November 2010 release, and will retail for $499 USD, "confirming" previous reports."
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:35 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd be very surprised if that were true. It's much more likely it'll run Blackberry's own o/s.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 03:31 AM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd be very surprised if that were true. It's much more likely it'll run Blackberry's own o/s.
There are many more who would agree with you, especially considering all of the RIM security features.

http://www.tcgeeks.com/rim-blackpad-...he-apple-ipad/
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
From what I have read and gathered rim is actually going to sell and position the tablet as an accessory for a blackberry device not as an independent device itself.
So the rumor could be true.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
From what I have read and gathered rim is actually going to sell and position the tablet as an accessory for a blackberry device not as an independent device itself.
Like the Palm Foleo?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Like the Palm Foleo?
Or as some of us called it, the Palm Folly. That little worthless device sent Palm to its grave.

Android + non-phone tablet = POS. Simple formula, profound truth. Of all the Android tablets I've used and/or read about, none or worth a wooden nickle. And recently Oracle slapped a lawsuit on Google claiming Google infringed on Java patents when designing Android.

BB will not use a non-RIM OS. They just beefed up BB OS to 6.0 for the new fullscreen BB, I'm sure they will use something like that with a tablet. But even though I'm a BB phone fan, I'm not interested in a BB OS tablet. I want to see a well designed Windows 7 tablet with a 7" screen. Windows 7 works, whereas Android does not, nor does a browser based OS. I want to get work done, read, etc. I don't care about playing videos and games or about social networking.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
There seem to be a lot of varying rumours, what that one probably means is that they will only be doing a WiFi-only version and would then support bluetooth tethering to any mobile, while not being quite as convenient for some people it would be the ideal for most who already pay for one data plan not to mention the obvious point that it would speed time to market since the device would not require them to go through all the carrier testing and approvals process that they need to do with any new phone.

As far as using another os, they bought a company called QNX not so long ago and if they go with a different os then it seems likely it will come from them, perhaps keeping the look of os6 on top of a new os base or something.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote