Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #106
rwe
Enthusiast
rwe began at the beginning.

Device: ipod sony
impressive, looks you really started this early

did you ever test books in mobe format, seems barnes and noble is using this
i would very much like to know if it works on the irex
i hate the kindle deal with it's own format
rwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #107
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwe View Post
did you ever test books in mobe format, seems barnes and noble is using this
B&N is using the eReader format, which they now own from buying FictionWise. It isn't currently available on any EInk reader, but may be available soon from Astak and perhaps on a B&N branded reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #108
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
TopTenReviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalou View Post
Hi,
I'd be interested in 3 informations:
a.) How are the books displayed on the units? You've mentioned thumbnails, for example.
b.) What would be your ranking for: Display quality, OS, usability, battery duration.
c.) What formats for which reader? And some brief comparison, for example reflow capability of zoom levels.
http://ebook-reader-review.toptenreviews.com/

Ranking:
#1 : Kindle 2
#2 : Sony 700
#3 : Sony 505
#4 : Astak EZ Reader = BeBook
#5 : iRex 1000S
#6 : Cybook Gen3
#7 : iRex iLiad
#8 : Foxit ESlick
#9 : iRex iLiad Book Edition
#10: Jetbook

Of course, I don't agree.

Some examples, why I disagree:
- Ranking iLiad Book Edition lower only can be explained by having no WLAN. But lots of the others don't have it as well. Why is iLiad with WLAN #7 and without #9?
- Touchscreen is cool and still rare. I like thumbnail view. But still, Sony 700 has got the worst display, I'd NEVER rank it #2.
- I don't use my BeBook because of its "plasticy" feel. I'd rank it lower.
- Lots of guys have been suggesting to add Jetbook to my collection. Interesting that it ranks last. Can't comment though, never have seen it live.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-29-2009 at 04:08 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:57 AM   #109
Kostas
Still wondering why
Kostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-booksKostas has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS 505, (BlackBerry Bold ?)
Kindle DX out of competition in this ranking?
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 AM   #110
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Kindle DX out of competition in this ranking?
I don't find any date for this review. They just call it "2009 eBook Reader Product Comparison". Probably from beginning of this year and Kindle DX wasn't available yet. As they rank Kindle 2 #1, Kindle DX certainly would be ranking top as well.
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 10:21 AM   #111
mgmueller
Member Retired

Arrow 5 eBook readers for students

http://computershopper.com/back-to-s...s-for-students
Old 07-31-2009, 03:28 PM   #112
valeednasir
valeednasir began at the beginning.

Device: none
Awesome post!!

Being an engineer, I get to read a lot of scientific material (figures, tables, equations, etc).. It involves at lot of flipping back and forth, jumping to appendices, looking up acronyms etc. I also want to be able to highlight, bookmark, add comments and annotate easily.

So, my concerns are as follows:

1- It should be a good fit for reading "scientific" stuff... (I am suspicious that a 6" display might be too small...but haven't tried it yet)

2- Fast (flipping pages, finding words shouldn't take forever )

3- Ability to annotate, add notes and bookmarks.

4- Open reading formats - No DRM hassle.

5- Reasonable price

I am least concerned about:

-Wireless Connectivity
-Beauty and elegance
-Weight
-Display fidelity.

Considering above preference, what would you recommend?

Thanks much.
Waleed.
valeednasir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:54 PM   #113
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeednasir View Post
Awesome post!!

Being an engineer, I get to read a lot of scientific material (figures, tables, equations, etc).. It involves at lot of flipping back and forth, jumping to appendices, looking up acronyms etc. I also want to be able to highlight, bookmark, add comments and annotate easily.

So, my concerns are as follows:

1- It should be a good fit for reading "scientific" stuff... (I am suspicious that a 6" display might be too small...but haven't tried it yet)

5- Reasonable price

I am least concerned about:

-Wireless Connectivity
-Beauty and elegance
-Weight
-Display fidelity.

Considering above preference, what would you recommend?

Thanks much.
Waleed.
Oh boy. I fear, you have to go for a compromise:

--> My personal recommendation, and still one of my favorites: iRex iLiad.
Bigger display than most of the others and still highly mobile.

-->Flipping pages in my opinion is similar on all units, Kindle and Opus are slightly faster, but I've never had any problems with any of my readers.
BUT: "Finding words" is a showstopper for most of the units. Many of them, including iRex, don't have that feature for most of the formats.
Both Kindles aren't too bad in that.

iRex' touchscreen comes extremely handy. Annotating PDFs - brilliant. I love doing Sudoku and Kakuro for example.
On your PC, you can add these "doodles" to your PDF. Or you can use handwriting recognition with acceptable results. It's no tablet PC, too slow for that. But for some comments and annotations, it's okay.

--> Most of the engineering material probably is available as PDF. You can read this on most of the units. Kindle 2 needs conversion.
Most of the readers focus on a single DRM format (Cybook is available in 2 versions, 1 for DRMed .prc, 1 for DRMed .epub) and can read the other common formats DRM-free.

5- Reasonable price
--> What's resonable? For most users, it's up to $300.
With the exception of Kindle DX, iRex iLiad and iRex 1000S, you'll find all the others in that range.

I'd check out iRex iLiad. It's one of the more "professional" units. It's a bit more expensive, but maybe close enough.
The touchscreen has huge advantages and it's display is a bit bigger but it's still a mobile unit.
Kindle 2 and Sony 700 might be an option as well.
You might want to check UMPCs and tablet PCs as well.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-31-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:42 AM   #114
valeednasir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Oh boy. I fear, you have to go for a compromise:

--> My personal recommendation, and still one of my favorites: iRex iLiad.
Bigger display than most of the others and still highly mobile.

-->Flipping pages in my opinion is similar on all units, Kindle and Opus are slightly faster, but I've never had any problems with any of my readers.
BUT: "Finding words" is a showstopper for most of the units. Many of them, including iRex, don't have that feature for most of the formats.
Both Kindles aren't too bad in that.

iRex' touchscreen comes extremely handy. Annotating PDFs - brilliant. I love doing Sudoku and Kakuro for example.
On your PC, you can add these "doodles" to your PDF. Or you can use handwriting recognition with acceptable results. It's no tablet PC, too slow for that. But for some comments and annotations, it's okay.

--> Most of the engineering material probably is available as PDF. You can read this on most of the units. Kindle 2 needs conversion.
Most of the readers focus on a single DRM format (Cybook is available in 2 versions, 1 for DRMed .prc, 1 for DRMed .epub) and can read the other common formats DRM-free.

5- Reasonable price
--> What's resonable? For most users, it's up to $300.
With the exception of Kindle DX, iRex iLiad and iRex 1000S, you'll find all the others in that range.

I'd check out iRex iLiad. It's one of the more "professional" units. It's a bit more expensive, but maybe close enough.
The touchscreen has huge advantages and it's display is a bit bigger but it's still a mobile unit.
Kindle 2 and Sony 700 might be an option as well.
You might want to check UMPCs and tablet PCs as well.

Thanks, that was really helpful.

So, now I have narrowed down my options to Kindle DX and ILiad Irex.

Need your final word on that.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:56 AM   #115
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Thanks, that was really helpful.

So, now I have narrowed down my options to Kindle DX and ILiad Irex.

Need your final word on that.

Thanks.
Hmmm, although iRex iLiad was and is one of my favorites, I'd go for Kindle DX then.
iRex iLiad isn't supported anymore, iRex solely is focussing on iRex 1000S. iRex 1000S is the most expensive one, not "reasonably priced" (that's why I didn't suggest it).
So I'd really go for a new unit of one of the major brands. Additionally, Amazon usually has more books to offer than other webshops and most of the times is about 15% cheaper.

--> Go for Kindle DX, then.

Last edited by mgmueller; 08-01-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #116
hjenkins
hjenkins began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
Customer support for iRex and Kindle

Quote:
iRex iLiad isn't supported anymore, iRex solely is focussing on iRex 1000S.
I was finally convinced to buy the iRex Iliad (not the 1000S) until I saw your comment. Does that mean if I purchase one this week and something goes wrong with it within a year, they won't fix it?

My second choice is Kindle DX but my ONLY criteria is that pdf documents are easy to read - which is why I want the iRex.

I've heard a lot of people grumbling about the iRex's bad customer support and difficulty in getting assistance from their technical support. That bothers me.

With the Kindle DX, I'd be buying it from eBay (because I live in Australia) so not sure if I could get any support either if my unit stops working.

Any advice on which way to go? I don't want to buy the Iliad 1000S as it's way too expensive and I think it's a little too big.

Thanks for your guidance...

regards
Helen
hjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #117
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjenkins View Post
I was finally convinced to buy the iRex Iliad (not the 1000S) until I saw your comment. Does that mean if I purchase one this week and something goes wrong with it within a year, they won't fix it?

My second choice is Kindle DX but my ONLY criteria is that pdf documents are easy to read - which is why I want the iRex.

I've heard a lot of people grumbling about the iRex's bad customer support and difficulty in getting assistance from their technical support. That bothers me.

With the Kindle DX, I'd be buying it from eBay (because I live in Australia) so not sure if I could get any support either if my unit stops working.

Any advice on which way to go? I don't want to buy the Iliad 1000S as it's way too expensive and I think it's a little too big.

Thanks for your guidance...

regards
Helen
Sorry for the misunderstanding. They definitely will repair it. But they don't develop any further. Meaning, there won't be any firmware updates. So iLiad probably never will be able to process DRMed ePUB for example.
In my opinion, iLiad's firmware is "close to perfection". But still some might be troubled, purchasing a unit, which already is replaced by the manufacturer itself (iRex 1000S being sole focus).

I've bought Kindle 2 and Kindle DX via eBay myself. Excellent experience. But, as far as I know, repair will be a problem - if one would be needed. I'd have to send back to the US and even might need help from the original purchaser.
Same applies for Sony, they only give support in the country of original purchase.

Concerning PDF support: I really like my Kindle DX. But for PDF, it certainly wouldn't be my first choice (not even 2nd or 3rd, maybe 4th or 5th).

Concerning iRex' support: My iRex 1000S has had a so called "line error" from the very beginning. I had to send it in and wait for a replacement unit. They have been very responsive and proactive, no complaints.

If PDF is a criteria, my suggestion still would be iRex iLiad. Usually, when PDF is important, ePUB comes in handy as well. Then Sony would be an excellent choice as well.

Last edited by mgmueller; 08-01-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #118
valeednasir

Quote:
Hmmm, although iRex iLiad was and is one of my favorites, I'd go for Kindle DX then.
iRex iLiad isn't supported anymore, iRex solely is focussing on iRex 1000S. iRex 1000S is the most expensive one, not "reasonably priced" (that's why I didn't suggest it).
So I'd really go for a new unit of one of the major brands. Additionally, Amazon usually has more books to offer than other webshops and most of the times is about 15% cheaper.

--> Go for Kindle DX, then.

Yeah, I was very inclined towards iLiad, but didn't feel it's worth the price.

So, Kindle DX it is. In fact, I just ordered it .

Thanks much!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #119
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Yeah, I was very inclined towards iLiad, but didn't feel it's worth the price.

So, Kindle DX it is. In fact, I just ordered it .

Thanks much!
Good choice. You'll definitely have fun!
Suggestion: Order the Amazon DX cover as well.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #120
hjenkins
hjenkins began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding. They definitely will repair it. But they don't develop any further.
Thanks for clarifying that. I should stop researching this issue because I keep coming across information that stops me buying something.

Just read that there will be a 10" iPod by xmas and they are obviously targeting the eReader market. Being in colour would be great - not sure what the reading experience would be like. Having internet browsing access will be great.

I did have my eye on the new colour Flepia but not sure it's speed is good enough yet.

regards
Helen
hjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test