Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Found a bug in the eBook Store Server/Software

Accidentally I bought the same book twice (kudos to Neal Stephenson ;o) - I financed his new private jet ).

One time in the The Confusion: Baroque Cycle, Vol. 2 and one time the The Confusion collection (including that book).

The problem was that I couldn't re-download either the single book or the Vol. 2 book in the collection.

Now I had a discussion with the hotline. First he didn't believe that it is possible to download the same ebook (indirectly) twice, but as I suspected this seem to be the problem.

If you want to tease somebody buy him (with your credit card and his account) the same book twice and he will be unable to re-download the ebook at all.

Anyway the support is (hopefully) looking in this issue so you propably don't have to too much time to have some fun .
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Technically, you can't buy the same ebook twice. If it is exactly the same book, it'll tell you that you already have it (I know, I've done it).

But I'm having a hard time figuring out what you did.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #3
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Technically, you can't buy the same ebook twice. If it is exactly the same book, it'll tell you that you already have it (I know, I've done it).

But I'm having a hard time figuring out what you did.
Actually as you can see for yourself:

It works if the same book is in a book collection and also sold separately.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Actually as you can see for yourself:

It works if the same book is in a book collection and also sold separately.
But it doesn't look like one is a collection and one is not. They look the same (which is weird). But it looks like you bought them the same day as well. I'm really confused.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
joblack
Wizard

And here are the receipts:

Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Well looking at the receipts, they are technically different books, so yeah, it wouldn't pop up saying you had it already. Hopefully Sony support will help you out (especially if you show them the above stuff).
Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Well looking at the receipts, they are technically different books, so yeah, it wouldn't pop up saying you had it already. Hopefully Sony support will help you out (especially if you show them the above stuff).
No they aren't different books.

The Baroque Cycle bundle contains three seperate books from Neal Stephenson - one of it is The Confusion which I also bought separately). The bundle is only a smaller price for the three books all together in comparison of buying them separately.

As I remember now the bundle was cheaper than getting the other two books separately and that was the reason to get the bundle as well.

Anyway, such a deadlock situation is obviously a bug in the software.

Last edited by joblack; 02-26-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
No they aren't different books.

The Baroque Cycle bundle contains three seperate books from Neal Stephenson - one of it is The Confusion which I also bought separately). The bundle is only a smaller price for the three books all together in comparison of buying them separately.

As I remember now the bundle was cheaper than getting the other two books separately and that was the reason to get the bundle as well.

Anyway, such a deadlock situation is obviously a bug in the software.
But to the Sony store, they are different books. If I understand you right, one is the single book, and the other is that book plus more books.

Sony's only going to prompt you if you try to buy the same exact book more than once. So if I buy (theoretically, since they aren't available) the Lord of the Rings as a bundle, but buy the Fellowship separately as well, Sony will allow that, because the software won't recognize that you're buying what amounts to duplicate copies.

Not really a bug, but I hope they help you out. My confusion just lies in that they are both the same size, but the way you explained it one has more content.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #9
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
But to the Sony store, they are different books. If I understand you right, one is the single book, and the other is that book plus more books.

Sony's only going to prompt you if you try to buy the same exact book more than once. So if I buy (theoretically, since they aren't available) the Lord of the Rings as a bundle, but buy the Fellowship separately as well, Sony will allow that, because the software won't recognize that you're buying what amounts to duplicate copies.

Not really a bug, but I hope they help you out. My confusion just lies in that they are both the same size, but the way you explained it one has more content.
The bundle is not a bigger book with the three in it. The bundle is just these three books in a (virtual) container. The actual books are the same.

So it is the same book - also I don't think (hope) that sony compares the books by name but rather by an ID.