Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #31
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
I tried that Windows Disk Management route when I had the problem -- it didn't work.

I think the problem has to do with the GPT vs. MSDOS Partition Table formats.
Oh, so you had that problem too? I thought it might have had something to do with the fact I still use Windows XP, but I wasn't sure. Good to know it was not something unique to me and I likely didn't mess up.

At any rate, I am pretty sure I had tried Windows Disk Management to salvage the card and it didn't work for me. I also tried Acronis Disk Director and that didn't work either. Neither did sdformatter when I first tried it. Only sdformatter on one of the alternative options worked.

Since this corruption of the micro sd card when using the image file doesn't appear to be a unique problem, I would suggest anyone modding their Nooks with the CWM card method to use the alternative option for preparing the card -- the one where you set the first partition as active and then drop the boot files onto the card. That's what I eventually did and it seems easier and more foolproof to me.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 07-13-2013 at 08:56 AM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #32
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Oh, so you had that problem too? I thought it might have had something to do with the fact I still use Windows XP, but I wasn't sure. Good to know it was not something unique to me and I likely didn't mess up.
It happened to me and I've seen reports of it every so often over at XDA forums. In all cases it was a consequence of having written onto the SD card some particular pre-made bootable software images used for rooting & flashing custom ROMs.

I surmise the problem is caused by difference between GPT partition table format used in Linux (the OS of choice for developers/tinkerers who created these images) and MSDOS partition table format used by Windows XP (the prevalent OS for most of us mortals), and hence only a low-level reformat would restore the card to a state usable by Windows systems/tools.
Quote:
Since this corruption of the micro sd card when using the image file doesn't appear to be a unique problem, I would suggest anyone modding their Nooks with the CWM card method to use the alternative option for preparing the card -- the one where you set the first partition as active and then drop the boot files onto the card. That's what I eventually did and it seems easier and more foolproof to me.
Since my brush with the problem, I have always created my own bootable images as you do.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #33
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

livramax, thanks for all that information. Now I am pretty sure it is just an incompatibility with Windows XP. I left a post for leapinlar at the xda forum suggesting he put a warning in his original post and advise those on Windows XP to use the alternate method for creating the CWM SD card.

--Pat
Old 07-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #34
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
livramax, thanks for all that information. Now I am pretty sure it is just an incompatibility with Windows XP. I left a post for leapinlar at the xda forum suggesting he put a warning in his original post and advise those on Windows XP to use the alternate method for creating the CWM SD card.

--Pat
I should have elaborated in my previous post: the CWM image that caused problem for me was for the Nook ST; I have not had problems with verygreen's and bokkokan's CWM images for HD+, and I have not used leapinlar's CWM image (since he also makes available the files to build the image from scratch).

Last edited by livramax; 07-13-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #35
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
I should have elaborated in my previous post: the CWM image that caused problem for me was for the Nook ST; I have not had problems with verygreen's and bokkokan's CWM images for HD+, and I have not used leapinlar's CWM image (since he also makes available the files to build the image from scratch).
That's OK. I think there is enough evidence to conclude there is some incompatibility with leapinlar's image and Windows XP. Even if it happens only occasionally, it's good to warn others of the possibility. Then they can make their own choices. As it is, there is no warning now.

--Pat
Advert
Old 08-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #36
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Ok, I fixed the links...sorry.

Reminder..I have the HD+ so if you have the HD then I would use this image:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...7&d=1360015493

(the above image replaces the
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...6&d=1368660885 that is in my first post.)

and then put the extras zip on the card once the image is made.

Hope I am not too confusing. It is really easy.

Pennyc
The same zip goes on both the HD and the HD+? I was able to install it on the HD+, but not on the HD.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #37
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The same zip goes on both the HD and the HD+? I was able to install it on the HD+, but not on the HD.
The HD and HD+ use different ROM zip file versions.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #38
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes but I don't want a ROM I just want the extras that allow installation of side loaded apps. I installed the Amazon App store on my HD+! And Minecraft from Google Play, which it would not allow me to install previously. I only see one Extras file, and it has Plus in it's title. But the instructions I quoted indicate using the same Extras zip. I may just re-do the card from the start and try again.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #39
PatNY
Zennist

The "Extras" zip file used to enable sideloading of apps on the HD/HD+ is the same for both devices.

What's different is the "image" file you use to prepare the CWM SD card. They are different files, depending on which device you have. I used Penny's links for that file for my HD, however as explained earlier in this thread, something went wrong with my SD card. So I used the alternative method for preparing the CWM SD card which I think is actually easier. With the alternative method, it is the same procedure to prepare the card for both devices (unlike the imaging method).

It's really easy. It is explained in the link below:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

You only need to read the first post, parts #1 and #3 for how to create the CWM SD card and use it to install the "Extras" on your HD or HD+.

If you want to stick with the imaging method, then you have to prepare a new CWM SD card with the image file appropriate for the HD. If you go to the bottom of the first post on that thread, it is currently the 5th download file listed under the "Attached Files."

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 08-10-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #40
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Pat, the 2nd method looks more complicated than the image method LOL.

I may try it, I may not....at least we have the Amazon app store on the HD+......So my daughter that has the HD can use the HD+ when she needs an Amazon app. The other daughter has the Fire HD. They are using the "Relax Melodies Premium" that was a free app recently...they have them both going at the same time, and playing with Barbies....silly girls.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #41
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I love "Relax Melodies Premium"!
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #42
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Pat, the 2nd method looks more complicated than the image method LOL
I swear, it's easier -- from the first post in that thread I linked to, this is basically all you have to do to prepare the CWM sd card:
Quote:
Format any size card with SDFormatter (free on web).

Use partitioning software (Mini-Tool Partition Wizard or EaseUS Partition Manager, both free) to set the first partition as "active".

Unarchive the appropriate set of BOOTFILES for your device (HD or HD+) from my .rar file attached below and copy them to the SD. There should be five files.

Move on to item b below to copy the installation zips.
But, whatever. Use the method you're most comfortable with. Just remember the image file for the HD is different than the one you use for the sd card for the HD+.

I just updated my firmware to 2.1.1 yesterday. I was surprised to find that the modifications made using the "Extras" file all stuck. I thought I would have to re-flash everything. But it's not necessary.

Can't say that I notice anything different between 2.1.1 and the previous firmware.

--Pat
Old 08-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #43
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I lost root with the 2.1.1 update so I'll re-root. It's really easy, so nothing to be worried about!
(I only root to be able to install a couple of sideloaded apps that Google Play insists aren't compatible with my device. With another launcher than the stock one I'm perfectly happy running stock ROM)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #44
PatNY
Zennist

Asawi, if all you want to do is sideload apps and make your device more compatible with Google Play apps, you don't need to do a total root/ROM replacement. If you just flash the mods from the "Extras" file, that will allow you to do that. That's all I did, and now I can install just about anything. The changes remain through a firmware upgrade too, as I mentioned above.

This retains the stock OS but you can always use a launcher if you don't like it.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #45
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Pat, I'll try it. It's the partitioning thin that stalls me. I don't think I've done that before. But I'll give it a shot....