Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
MOBI does not allow specification of fonts. That will be true no matter what program you use to generate the MOBI.

As foryour centering issue its hard to say without looking at the epub.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #17
Knuckles McGinty
Knuckles McGinty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kovidgoyal- Thank you for the specification. If I have no control over the font style and font color in a MOBI file I will have to abandon the MOBI file option and keep struggling with the issue of building the MOBI 'de-bug' generated toc.ncx into a PRC file. You just saved me considerable time and effort.
Knuckles McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PRC and MOBI are the same format. And you can control font style (i.e. bold italic etc and font size) but not font family i.e. times new roman vs. georgia vs. whatever.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #19
Knuckles McGinty

I have read that MOBI is just as acceptable to the Kindle as the PRC file format. But I cannot figure out what settings to use in Calibre to preserve my font styles in the conversion of an EPUB to a MOBI.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's hard to help without being able to see the epub in question.
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #21
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
As long as you make sure you keep a clean original copy of the EPUB outside Calibre, you could just try an EPUB to MOBI conversion with Calibre's default settings. Then report back on what, if anything, went wrong.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
Knuckles McGinty

Jackie_W- My EPUB shows bold, colored, Tahoma Fonts for my chapter and subject headings. The MOBI file defaults to Times New Roman, with a loss of the bold effect and the font color. Worse, some of the text I had centered in the EPUB file is now left justified.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #23
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Isn't Tahoma a sans-serif font? I think Kovid explained that MOBI doesn't support font-family. Possibly not colour either - I don't know - not having a MOBI device. The bold and centre problem ought to be do-able. I am going to email you at the address you gave above.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #24
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Update: the OP's original problem was rectified by correcting some CSS problems in the source EPUB. Once that was done Calibre made a great job of a simple EPUB to MOBI conversion.