Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #16
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
And what will happen to a battery that has never been charged?
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:09 AM   #17
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Am using my Gen3 on a regular/daily basis since 2008 still with the first battery.

Bought it from Delphi96, haven't been on this forum since he died :-(

Maybe it's time to update my signature ;-)
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #18
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
My Gen 3 has been in daily use for just over 4 years now, but for Xmas I treated myself to a new reader - a Kindle Paperwhite. Mainly because 'I could' but I also have been having issues getting stuff onto the Gen 3 over the last few months.

I found that whatever computer I connected to I could see the internal and SD memory, but could never get files to copy to it without an error (the old windows explorer hang whilst writing) and so in the end could only add stuff by putting the SD card into my laptop directly.

This wasn't my main gripe though it was just getting the books I wanted: After Fictionwise I started using Kobo for books, but found the whole, browsing / buying experience painful. Eventually I started buying books from Amazon, but of course still had to go through the process of converting them to mobi (my preferred Gen 3 firmware) that the convenience of the Kindle way of life my partner has became irresistible.

The real kicker though didn't come until I actually started using the Kindle - no twenty second startup that I was used to on the Gen 3, faster page turns, and just whole lot better user experience.

So much as I have loved my Gen 3 it was time to recognize the march of progress and upgrade. What I could do with is a jailbreak for the Gen 3 so I could find some other use for it.
Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider1960 View Post
My Gen 3 has been in daily use for just over 4 years now, but for Xmas I treated myself to a new reader - a Kindle Paperwhite. Mainly because 'I could' but I also have been having issues getting stuff onto the Gen 3 over the last few months.

I found that whatever computer I connected to I could see the internal and SD memory, but could never get files to copy to it without an error (the old windows explorer hang whilst writing) and so in the end could only add stuff by putting the SD card into my laptop directly.

This wasn't my main gripe though it was just getting the books I wanted: After Fictionwise I started using Kobo for books, but found the whole, browsing / buying experience painful. Eventually I started buying books from Amazon, but of course still had to go through the process of converting them to mobi (my preferred Gen 3 firmware) that the convenience of the Kindle way of life my partner has became irresistible.

The real kicker though didn't come until I actually started using the Kindle - no twenty second startup that I was used to on the Gen 3, faster page turns, and just whole lot better user experience.

So much as I have loved my Gen 3 it was time to recognize the march of progress and upgrade. What I could do with is a jailbreak for the Gen 3 so I could find some other use for it.
Sad to lose a Gen 3 user. Sounds like your recent experience of the Gen 3 was similar to mine,until i changed the battery and updated the software (I hadn't since new 4 years ago). Since new battery and updated software, thing flies. There is no 20-30 second start up as is in 'stand by' rather than complete power off.

As for other use? I haveno idea...?coaster?
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #20
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
To be honest, I absolutely hated the Gen3 (first gen) I bought. It was sleek, but I found its navigation and buttons clunky and slow.

I sold it (at more than 300% markdown!) to a friend who still uses it. In fact, odd as it is, she contacted me at work today because it's finally starting to give her problems. Difficult thing is she's in a completely different state and totally NOT tech savvy at all.

She's got a friend who commutes to my office twice a month, so she may be sending it to me to look over to see if I can find the problem.

Is it still possible to get replacement batteries for these??

Last edited by FizzyWater; 01-08-2013 at 11:53 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #21
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, the replacement batteries are not the problem, at least here in Europe. They are used by other readers (Opus, some Pocketbooks) too. Don't know how it is in the United States.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
When I get some time I will re-flash the firmware - I think I am at the latest so go to pdf them back to mobi probably. If that fixes up the pc connection woes I was getting so that it will reliably allow sideloading from calibre I may be able to pass it on to someone who needs a book ready but can't afford one.
Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #23
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Yes, the replacement batteries are not the problem, at least here in Europe. They are used by other readers (Opus, some Pocketbooks) too. Don't know how it is in the United States.

I used the batteries from a cool-er ebook reader. Wife had it and it was useless (before and after its broken screen ). Battery was perfect for gen 3
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #24
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
2007 - my original was returned to Bookeen after a few weeks, the replacement is still working well.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
pmwt
Enthusiast
pmwt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo HD
I have the original Gen3 and had been using it for the past 5 years. I changed the battery over a year ago with an "equivalent" one. The one issue with it is I have to re-charge every 4-5 days and just last week I am getting random hangs while reading. I am now using my wife's year-old Kobo Touch (she rarely uses it and it's pretty much brand new). I find the ergonomics on the old Gen3 much better other than it has no "touch" feature. But now I can read an entire book without re-charging. I am not entirely satisfied with the Kobo Touch and am looking forward to see what new ereaders will be introduced this year.
pmwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #26
sbergstc
sbergstc began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have a new unused Gen3 battery that came with my original package purchase from Bookeen when they first offered the Gen3 in 2007/2008. I'm wondering if this battery will be any good. Any thoughts? Also, what other ebooks use this battery so if I need to purchase one I can find it without having to purchase directly from Bookeen.
Thanks,
Sbergstc
sbergstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #27
crAss
Connoisseur
crAss began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I almost got a new Cybook Odyssey frontlight HD yesterday because my gen3 had died out.
The reason was a busted on/off switch probably from usage after all these years. I tried to change it with one of the the four switches that are on the side of the gen3 (which I don't think I have ever pressed :P ) but it worked only for a couple of days and the switch broke of the motherboard (I am not an expert solderer). Also I managed when removing it to remove two tiny resistors that are below the switch. So I called the day of then and decided to buy a new one.
BUT yesterday a friend of mine who is very good at soldering managed to change that. Now everything is back to normal so I will delay the purchase of a new e-reader until the die hard gen3 actually dies...
crAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergstc View Post
I have a new unused Gen3 battery that came with my original package purchase from Bookeen when they first offered the Gen3 in 2007/2008. I'm wondering if this battery will be any good. Any thoughts?
Probably not. A lithium Ion battery has a lifetime of about 5 years or so. Your spare battery will very likely be as dead as a doornail.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #29
sbergstc
sbergstc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Harry, for letting me know... I'll be throwing away two Gen3's as well as the battery. Both screens are broken and not worth sending back to France to fix at $70 each. I did that once with my original Gen3 then after breaking that one, I purchased a 2nd one on ebay and broke that screen within a couple of months. Just a fluke... I'm normally very careful with these things and my first one lasted me 4.5-5 years.

So even though I loved the simplicity of the Gen3, I've moved on to my never-used husband's Nook. It's OK, but a little heavier than the Gen3 and my wrist gets tired holding it while reading in bed.

Just looked up my payment for that original Gen3 and I spent nearly $500 for the deluxe package. Holy Cow!!!! Look what we can get today for that

sbergstc

Last edited by sbergstc; 02-10-2013 at 06:06 PM.
sbergstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:33 AM   #30
sssrdja
sssrdja began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen gen3
HELP !!!!

I just accidentally erased my system folder for my bookeen gen 3 reader where can I find the soft ware on the web or could somebody please send me an operational system file? I have tried everything but nothing seems to work! Thanks!

sssrdja@yahoo.com
sssrdja is offline   Reply With Quote