PRS-600 same problem as 700???

anyone see this??
This is pretty disappointing.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/24/v...atisfy-prs-505
coosmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Yeah, there's a thread that includes these videos. The person who made them is an MR member.

The 600 screen may look "fuzzy" compared to the 505, but let's not forget the 505 is incredibly sharp. I plan to look at the 600 without a 505 next to it and see if I can read the screen without strain. I need a reader to handle non-fiction with annotations, and I think the 600 will fill that bill. The 505 will probably remain my primary fiction/casual reading device.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
coosmac
coosmac began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I should have know...(that you guys are already aware of it
I did quick browse and did not see....

** admin please delete this post if you could....thank you
coosmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
spirit_wolf
_^^~
spirit_wolf is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad 2, PRS-505, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosmac View Post
I should have know...(that you guys are already aware of it I did quick browse and did not see...
coosmac, welcome to mobileread! Actually, I'm glad you posted this link--even if it was already posted elsewhere--because this is the one I happened to find.

Seeing that the 600 screen is still noticably inferior to the 505 is defeinitely a bummer.
spirit_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
deniss
deniss began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
I just received my prs-600 and i will return it, problem is glare, glare and more glare. You must get at a specific angle to have a clear view. The contrast is not as sharp as the prs-505. What is the story with sony ? are they crazy , why sell a product less capable than the old one !!!!! and outside it is impossible to read. Sony will have a lot of returns i'm shure , and they will probably loose their edge in the market. It is a huge disapointment !!!!!!
deniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 06:11 AM   #6
coase
Enthusiast
coase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enoughcoase will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color
Very sad. One would hope to get all the desired improvements AND a screen that's even more readable than the 505. Yet one more reason why I suspect my 505 will end up being the last reader I will buy from Sony. I hope for better, but I am beginning to doubt it.
coase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've seen other video that makes the 600 look better. Honestly, I think to be able to properly judge the screen of the 600, you need to go and see it for yourself. It's one of those things that if the video/photos are not all that good, it can look poorer then it really is. One demo/review video I saw yesterday was a lot better then any other and made the 600 look good. But I've also seen some that make the 600 look not so good. So go look in person.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
jaytrade
jaytrade began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've seen other video that makes the 600 look better. Honestly, I think to be able to properly judge the screen of the 600, you need to go and see it for yourself. It's one of those things that if the video/photos are not all that good, it can look poorer then it really is. One demo/review video I saw yesterday was a lot better then any other and made the 600 look good. But I've also seen some that make the 600 look not so good. So go look in person.
I just came from the Sony store and was pretty disappointed in the glare. I was going to still get one (hoping the glare was worse due to lights in store), but I kind of lucked out that they sold out already. I am now wondering if i should get the 300 or the 505 as my first reader.
Anyone know if the 300 is better with PDF files or just the same as the 505 (which i would rather get)
jaytrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytrade View Post
I just came from the Sony store and was pretty disappointed in the glare. I was going to still get one (hoping the glare was worse due to lights in store), but I kind of lucked out that they sold out already. I am now wondering if i should get the 300 or the 505 as my first reader.
Anyone know if the 300 is better with PDF files or just the same as the 505 (which i would rather get)
I saw the 600 & the 300 today and I found the glare is worse on the 300 & 505 then it is on the 600. So I don't know what you were looking at, but the glare is more on a standard Vizplex screen then it is on the 600 with the touch layer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytrade View Post
Since the 300's screen is smaller than the 505, it's going to be worse for viewing PDF's on. (Especially PDF's that are either laid out in A4 or letter size.) I'm pretty sure that the 300 has the same reflow capability for viewing text based PDF's that the 505. Reflow works but can lead to funky page breaks. Works, but not recommended.

But if your choice is between the 300 and the 505, I'd definitely go with the 505 for viewing PDF's.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
jtown
jtown began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Since the 300's screen is smaller than the 505, it's going to be worse for viewing PDF's on. (Especially PDF's that are either laid out in A4 or letter size.) I'm pretty sure that the 300 has the same reflow capability for viewing text based PDF's that the 505. Reflow works but can lead to funky page breaks. Works, but not recommended.

But if your choice is between the 300 and the 505, I'd definitely go with the 505 for viewing PDF's.

dordale
The 300 is the same resolution as the 505. 600x800 is 600x800 whether it's a 5" screen or a 6" screen. Just hold it slightly closer to your eyes. If you want to view A4/Letter size PDFs in full screen, you need a higher resolution display, not just larger.

FWIW, I wish Sony would combine the zoom modes in the last two versions of the firmware. The old version appeared to give "full screen" and "margins cropped" views in portrait mode. The new version gives "full screen", "reflow1", and "reflow2". I have a number of PDFs that look great in "margins cropped" mode and just as many that need the extra size bump of reflowing. I wish I could have both modes available at the same time. And, while I'm wishing, I want more pixels but without paying $490 or more.
jtown is offline   Reply With Quote