Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Hello All!

My folks were visting from the States last autumn and I got to play with their Kindles and was most upset to have to return them. I have since been downloading books and reading on my laptop, but would love something more portable. This forum has been very useful in providing information about different devices. I'm still undecided, though leaning towards a Sony Reader 505 as Kindles are not available here.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
My folks were visting from the States last autumn and I got to play with their Kindles and was most upset to have to return them. I have since been downloading books and reading on my laptop, but would love something more portable. This forum has been very useful in providing information about different devices. I'm still undecided, though leaning towards a Sony Reader 505 as Kindles are not available here.
Welcome. Which ever ereader you choose, I'm sure that you will find it fun and exciting. Check out the Wiki on the different devices.

I too have the Kindle which has become part of my every day.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Thanks! I'll check it out. Amazon has hinted they might release the Kindle in the UK, but when I emailed to ask them, they replied they had no plans to sell it in the UK. I quite like the Sony though.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Curly and welcome to the Forum. Be sure and let us know what you finally get.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
So get your parents to get a Kindle for you. Set up two Amazon accounts. On one, use a credit card on a US bank with your parent's address. On the other, use your address in Scotland and your normal UK credit card. Now you can buy an Amazon.com gift certificate from your UK account and apply it to your US account. When buying books for the Kindle, no charges are made to the credit card if there are any gift certificate credits.

Or -- if your parents trust you, put your Kindle on their account. You can then share books with them. And just reimburse your parents for any books that you choose to buy.

Oh yes -- I should also welcome you to MobileRead!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Curly
I need a holiday!

Thanks Elsi, that's a great idea, I'll look into it. I hadn't thought of using gift certificates.