Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
lecoeur
Connoisseur
lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Kobo reporting unprecedented growth-yay!

http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/ko...ks-by-country/

May the growth continue!... or the force be with you...whatever.
lecoeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Interesting but no hard numbers. That is Amazon said they sold over a million units per week in December. This story mentions doubling of sales and 500% increase. Well, going from selling one per week to five per week is 500% increase but not significant.

Don't get me wrong here. I love my Kobo products and such. It's just that this story has no real foundation to it.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
lecoeur
Connoisseur
lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lecoeur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
FNAC numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Interesting but no hard numbers. That is Amazon said they sold over a million units per week in December. This story mentions doubling of sales and 500% increase. Well, going from selling one per week to five per week is 500% increase but not significant.

Don't get me wrong here. I love my Kobo products and such. It's just that this story has no real foundation to it.
Hi Tony,

Amazon started this penchant for never ever revealing actual numbers and even the Dec Amz 'millions' was an approximation and no real hard breakdown of which model was actually selling. The rest of the industry has followed suit in the smoke & mirrors game-for which you can't really blame them. The only hard numbers avail for Kobo came out of France last week(you know the country-no Ebooks, ever, over my dead body, this is the end of civilisation, etc.lol)
http://www.telecompaper.com/news/kob...s-expectations
(for the link shy: they sold over 30,000 kobo touches in 2 weeks in Dec, more than they were expecting to sell in a year.)
lecoeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
biscuitbear
biscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura aboutbiscuitbear has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo by fnac
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecoeur View Post
The only hard numbers avail for Kobo came out of France last week(you know the country-no Ebooks, ever, over my dead body, this is the end of civilisation, etc.lol)
What what? I asked for a kobo for Christmas and am glad I did - much easier to carry around Parisian suburban trains than paper books. I already gave the sales pitch and did a demonstration to 3 colleagues at the coffee machine, and they all liked it.

Looks like a lot of us got a kobo for Christmas, the number of reviews at fnac.com increased suddenly over a few days.
biscuitbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Mods, can we change the thread title to

Kobo reporting unprecedented growth thanks to biscuitbear - yay!
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo
As long as you keep pumping out new readers, you'll see a rise in numbers, at least for a while. New readers means more gift items means more people buying content for their new readers. Kobo came out with two new readers this year -- Touch and Vox -- so they would have sold a fair bit of those, along with content, and boosted their.

But that's just revenues. Revenues are always positive, because they don't take into account how much you need to invest.

I'm not convinced this model works long term. Ideally, you put out a reader so that you can sell content for that reader. But Kindle, Kobo, Sony, etc. keep trying to one-up each other with new and inexpensive readers every six months, so these companies are investing a lot of money in hardware with low profit margins. As long as they do that, a company like Kobo will have trouble actually making money. (They were actually losing money prior to being sold by Indigo.)
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Of course the Kobo app and eBook sales are going up - that's just a function of eReading on tablets and phones becoming more popular. Heck, the waitlists at my local online library are becoming longer, too.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Kobos - and I am happy that Kobo is reporting good news, but it's sort of inevitable, isn't it?

I doubt they're doing as well with device sales. I'd be more interested in a story on how many of Kobo devices were returned in relation to how many were purchased over the holidays! Now, that would be entertaining!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, rdlecoeur