Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Trouble with the Power Button

Ok, this is weird. I received my replacement Pocket Pro on Thursday, charged it up, flashed the new firmware, and everything's been fine. I haven't used the power button since then, but it worked just fine on Thursday. This morning I did a quick press of the power button to lock the screen... and nothing happened. The button pushes, but nothing happens when I press it down. I tried a long press, and still nothing. Since it worked on Thursday, it must be me, not a defective unit. But I can't figure out why it wouldn't do anything now when I press it. I'm guessing maybe it's just a loose connection, but I'm afraid of taking it apart, because I don't want to void the warranty. And I haven't dropped it on the floor, or anything... although the thought to smack it did cross my mind, just to see if I could whop the connection back into place. But of course I wouldn't really do that. Everything else works fine, so I don't want to send it back for the power button. The main drawback is that I won't be able to put on new firmware in the future. But does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try for the power button, something that won't void the warranty? I've searched the forums and haven't seen this as an issue brought up before. I keep thinking I must have done something to it, but I can't imagine what it would be. I don't let my kids near it, so I know they didn't drop it... it's just very odd. Oh, and it's fully charged. Well, it's got 4 bars, anyway.

Thanks.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Ok, this is weird. I received my replacement Pocket Pro on Thursday, charged it up, flashed the new firmware, and everything's been fine. I haven't used the power button since then, but it worked just fine on Thursday. This morning I did a quick press of the power button to lock the screen... and nothing happened. The button pushes, but nothing happens when I press it down. I tried a long press, and still nothing. Since it worked on Thursday, it must be me, not a defective unit. But I can't figure out why it wouldn't do anything now when I press it. I'm guessing maybe it's just a loose connection, but I'm afraid of taking it apart, because I don't want to void the warranty. And I haven't dropped it on the floor, or anything... although the thought to smack it did cross my mind, just to see if I could whop the connection back into place. But of course I wouldn't really do that. Everything else works fine, so I don't want to send it back for the power button. The main drawback is that I won't be able to put on new firmware in the future. But does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try for the power button, something that won't void the warranty? I've searched the forums and haven't seen this as an issue brought up before. I keep thinking I must have done something to it, but I can't imagine what it would be. I don't let my kids near it, so I know they didn't drop it... it's just very odd. Oh, and it's fully charged. Well, it's got 4 bars, anyway.

Thanks.
Press the Reset button on the back While on a Bookshelf view
See if that wakes up the Power Button after it reboots.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried it, but it didn't help... when I press the power button it seems soft... well, the button isn't soft, but the press is soft. I mean, on my previous one, pushing the power button kind of gave a little click, like pressing the numbered buttons. This one it just goes down softly... kind of like there's a marshmallow under it.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
On the power button: Is the line coming out of the circle pointing to the screen side (front) of the the reader, or toward the back? I've not taken my PEZ apart (yet...), but on my eSlick, the button definitely has a front and back orientation, and didn't work right if I turned it over. Possibly yours was assembled incorrectly? That would be a fairly easy fix, but if the the actual power switch came loose from the board, that's definitely a problem for Astak to fix.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
On the power button: Is the line coming out of the circle pointing to the screen side (front) of the the reader, or toward the back? I've not taken my PEZ apart (yet...), but on my eSlick, the button definitely has a front and back orientation, and didn't work right if I turned it over. Possibly yours was assembled incorrectly? That would be a fairly easy fix, but if the the actual power switch came loose from the board, that's definitely a problem for Astak to fix.
The line is pointing to the back. I never really paid attention to it before, but I'm guessing that's the correct way. Which direction is yours pointing?
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine points toward the front, just as I described it.

It shouldn't be too hard to take apart, but it might be a good idea to check with Astak to see if the way the button faces does make a difference. If you're really stuck, I might take mine apart just to see what's inside
Old 05-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Mine points toward the front, just as I described it.

It shouldn't be too hard to take apart, but it might be a good idea to check with Astak to see if the way the button faces does make a difference. If you're really stuck, I might take mine apart just to see what's inside
Hm... interesting... I'd be curious to see if anyone else chimes in here and says which direction their power button faces... thanks for bringing this up!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
pholy
Booklegger

The wiki has some picture of taking it apart:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Hanlin_V5_disassembly

But no notes about the power button, unfortunately...
Old 05-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Line points to the Screen side.

I would worry about voiding your warrant on a New unit.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Yes, thank you. I found that earlier today, hoping it would show pictures of the power button, but I didn't see anything. I just tried calling Astak, figuring I'd leave a message, but apparently the answering service doesn't work over the weekend, so instead I sent an email through the form on their web site, for contacting Tech Support. I'm thinking of sending it back again, but I hate to keep forking over $15 each time there is a problem. It is making this $199 device a bit expensive! Especially when I see Amazon has the Sony Pocket for $149... I like the Astak better, with all the file formats it supports, and mp3, and expansion card... but if I send this back again it increases the original $199 by 24% with all the shipping... I like the product, and I like the customer service, but I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the extra expense.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Thanks, Ducks. Hm... so I wonder if mine was put in backwards, and if that would make it not work? And don't worry, I'm not going to take it apart. If it didn't void the warranty I would consider it, but unless I'd had it for over a year I wouldn't even attempt it.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Normal is feeling a little click

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! I tried it, but it didn't help... when I press the power button it seems soft... well, the button isn't soft, but the press is soft. I mean, on my previous one, pushing the power button kind of gave a little click, like pressing the numbered buttons. This one it just goes down softly... kind of like there's a marshmallow under it.
Dear Davimee:

You will not hear a little click when you press the power on/off button but you should feel it. Elliott is back today. Why not email him at: support@astak and let him call you?
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Davimee:

You will not hear a little click when you press the power on/off button but you should feel it. Elliott is back today. Why not email him at: support@astak and let him call you?
Robert, yes, that's what I meant. I could definitely feel a click with the first one, but not with this one. And I filled out the form for Tech Support on Astak's website. Will that get the same response as an email, or should I email Elliott, as well? I gave all the information in the form at Astak's site, including my phone number (and I made sure it was correct! *lol*), and my email address.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Robert, yes, that's what I meant. I could definitely feel a click with the first one, but not with this one. And I filled out the form for Tech Support on Astak's website. Will that get the same response as an email, or should I email Elliott, as well? I gave all the information in the form at Astak's site, including my phone number (and I made sure it was correct! *lol*), and my email address.

Thanks.
My power button has a light click feel to it when pressed.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
My power button has a light click feel to it when pressed.
So did my first one, but not this one.

Hopefully I'll get either a call back today, or an email, and can get it taken care of.