Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
samle
samle began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
Angry Smart Q7 Problem. Need HELP

Basically, I have a Smart Q7 and start experiencing error lately when boot up ( sorry I could not remember which command line has gone error) but later on it will just not boot up, the boot up bar will only go so far and the device will completely stop.

So I have try to boot up with the SD card the screen tells me it has start formatting the device or some sort of thing as my mate translate to me, but it has fail as well.

Therefore, I just wonder if anyone can tell me what should I do to restore/ reset the device? This is because I am sort of computing idiot.
Thank you very much.
samle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:23 AM   #2
jtworld
jtworld began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ5
you can reinstall the os
the newest one v4.0 , support chinese and english
http://www.smartdevices.com.cn/files/SmartQ7-v4.0.rar
sdupdatetool is :
http://www.smartdevices.com.cn/files...teToolV1.1.rar
here is guide of how to install os ,backup before reinstall os.
http://www.jiongtang.com/blog/html/s...d-smartq7.html
jtworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
samle

I have followed the instruction and got the firmware. but the SDUpdateTool keep saying "cannot write image file on SD" so I don't know where have I gone wrong. Anyway, tried to update with the device and it just keep telling me update fail. so what should I do? any chance of some sort of idiot guide from anyone please?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Samle,

Don't worry about using the SDUpdate tool. Just format the SD card with FAT32 and place the SmartQ7 image for the 4.0 firmware directly on that SD. It sounds to me like the firmware image you have is corrupt, try to download the firmware directly from the SmartDevices site: http://en.smartdevices.com.cn/Suppor...907/14-28.html

Let me know if this works.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
samle

I have download the firmware form the official web site and follow the instruction to restore/format the device. however, it seems like it will only "format" so far and keep giving me the update has fails every time. so I am kind of panic because I have got no idea what / how to fix the stupid problem I have here.
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Have you formatted the SD card with FAT32 first? Have you used the SmartQUpdate tool to fuse the card right after format? Once you do those two things, put the firmware on the SD and try to update it. What does it do when it fails? Does it have a message in chinese and an exclamation point like this "!" ?

If you can't use the SmartQUpdate tool that JT mentions above, due to an error message, it could be the SD card you are using isn't working. Also, make sure you have the latest version of the updater, 1.2. Extract that and just run it.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
samle

I have formated the card with Fat32 default allocation size using the format tool built into windows. After this i have tried to Fuse the image using the SDupdate tool. I have tried this with both sd and MicroSD. I am using Vista to perform this. I have also tried it on Win XP to no avail.
I have tried to upload the image to another drive just to see what the error mnessage was and it was the chinese message that basically translates to Update failed (handy china man helped me with this one
When i select the correct drive where the SD card is then i receive the message stating "cannot write to SD card" I have checked that there is no lock on the card and that i can copy files to the card. The problem seems to be with the automated extraction of the bin files. Is there some sort of other application i can try to browse the files and what would i be presented with should i go down this route, i was thinking something along the lines of isobuster.
I am in the process of sourcing a linux machine to give it a shot however if we could try and get this sorted before this that would be amazing and i would forever be indebted to your masterful lite skills on the smartQ7
Old 07-28-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
samle

now i have tried every possible way that i could think of in order to try bringing my Q7 back to life and obviously failed. can any genius out there tell me what should i do? or even, any other possible OS i could install onto the Q7 so perhaps i could start using that again please?

that would be great help. thank millions
Old 07-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by samle View Post
now i have tried every possible way that i could think of in order to try bringing my Q7 back to life and obviously failed. can any genius out there tell me what should i do? or even, any other possible OS i could install onto the Q7 so perhaps i could start using that again please?
that would be great help. thank millions
Try this http://www.jiongtang.com/fourm/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=646
Or longshot but worth a try, found this on; http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/index.php
"I finally got it! I tried formatting my SD card both on my Ubuntu laptop and on my iMac, but the only successful way was to format it with my Pentax k10. After formatting on my camera, I booted the 7 with the card on board and ran GDebi Package Installer."
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
I had a similar problem, and formatting it in my camera made the card readable.

I also had to rename the SmartQ7 firmware file to SmartQ5 at one point.

I think it depends on what bootcode is on your particular device. Some are undoubtedly older than others, and maybe not sold in sequence. After you successfully update to 4.0, I think it rewrites that bootcode.

Worst case, try flashing Mer to see if it's hardware, or a corrupt firmware.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote