Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
alided
alided began at the beginning.

Device: No device yet
Cyrillic in Kindle

Hi,
I read through the forums, but was unable 100% to tell whether kindle supports cyrillic or not. I have bunch of txt files in russian which i want to read on kindle(still didn't buy it). Is it possible to do ? What will be the process ?

Thanks
alided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Nope, no Cyrillic. Better get Sony or Cybook.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
alided
alided began at the beginning.

Device: No device yet
Thanks Igor. Yep ordered Sony.
alided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
That is the saddest thing about Kindle for me. Can any, I beg any, of the tech genius to make it happen? I have the Sony just for the sake of reading non-latin works...
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
rdhoore108
Ronny D'Hoore
rdhoore108 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3 wifi
I have both the Kindle 2 (my wife's) and 3 (mine).

The Kindle 3 shows Cyrillic just fine. The Kindle 2 doesn't

Why Amazon doesn't fix the Kindle 2 so it can too, is beyond me. A simple firmware update should be able to fix it.

If their consideration is just the money, well, they might get a few Kindle 2 owners to uprgrade to a Kindle 3, but they will lose many more potential customers simply by the rumors that Kindle can't display cyrillics...

Apparently there is a font hack, I will try it now...

UPDATE: I used this post instead, it worked very nicely. Our Kindle2 now displays Cyrillic fine, both in the book list and in the books themselves.

Last edited by rdhoore108; 11-21-2010 at 03:22 PM.
rdhoore108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alided View Post
Hi,
I read through the forums, but was unable 100% to tell whether kindle supports cyrillic or not. I have bunch of txt files in russian which i want to read on kindle(still didn't buy it). Is it possible to do ? What will be the process ?

Thanks
K3 supports Cyrillic, and is the first Kindle model that does so. All of the Kindle applications (Win, Mac, iOS at least) also support it.

There's a font hack for K2/DX to add Cyrillic support.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote