Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #541
Mezzo
Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 5
hyphens remove

Hi, as i know k2pdfopt has tool to search and remove hyphens from pdf, but all output files i converted still have hyphens between words like hyperi- on, i tried to add -hy+ (-hy) in command line but it also didn't work, the language of files is russian, may it cause the problem or it some kind of bug? Maybe there is some other program to remove hyphens?
Mezzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #542
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzo View Post
Hi, as i know k2pdfopt has tool to search and remove hyphens from pdf, but all output files i converted still have hyphens between words like hyperi- on, i tried to add -hy+ (-hy) in command line but it also didn't work, the language of files is russian, may it cause the problem or it some kind of bug? Maybe there is some other program to remove hyphens?
Another user has recently reported this as well. I am looking into it and hopefully will fix it for the next release. The language should not matter.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #543
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
The hyphens are very clear--the algorithm should find them. I'll check why it isn't working.
@sage79 and @Mezzo-- yes, the hyphen detection has been inadvertently turned off since at least v1.66(!). I've fixed this for the next release. It works well on sage79's sample. Thank you for notifying me.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #544
miheerdew
miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Retaining TOC in pdf's

Hi,
If I have a pdf with table of contents , after I convert it using k2pdfopt
the resulting pdf does not have a table of contents. Is there some way to retain this. I want to be able to directly jump to the start of the chapter I want to read, using the table of contents menu in kpw.

Thanks,
Miheer
miheerdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #545
Mezzo
Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.Mezzo got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 5
Thank u for quick answer, i'll wait for a new version.
Mezzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #546
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miheerdew View Post
If I have a pdf with table of contents , after I convert it using k2pdfopt the resulting pdf does not have a table of contents. Is there some way to retain this. I want to be able to directly jump to the start of the chapter I want to read, using the table of contents menu in kpw.
Sorry--this feature is not available. I am hoping to add it at some point (it has been requested before), but I can't promise anything at this point. If the original PDF has searchable text, then you should be able to search for the chapter names, but that's about the best I can offer.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #547
miheerdew
miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.miheerdew got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Sorry--this feature is not available. I am hoping to add it at some point (it has been requested before), but I can't promise anything at this point. If the original PDF has searchable text, then you should be able to search for the chapter names, but that's about the best I can offer.
Oh, no problem. Anyway, thanks a lot for the great program
miheerdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #548
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
Thanks for this great tool, it is the only tool that let me read pdf on my kindle PW. I used it a lot for Arabic files, but I always experience non-even font size, most of the time I get one page with big font, but one line with very small font. I tried to change the gab between rows and/or between words, but, still have difficulty to get it right.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #549
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim1406 View Post
Thanks for this great tool, it is the only tool that let me read pdf on my kindle PW. I used it a lot for Arabic files, but I always experience non-even font size, most of the time I get one page with big font, but one line with very small font. I tried to change the gab between rows and/or between words, but, still have difficulty to get it right.
Can you post an example of your source PDF file and the options you are using to convert it (or PM it to me)?
Old 09-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #550
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

I sent you an email, but I thought, I should post here as maybe someone will be interested.

As I mentioned I'm having difficulty to get a pdf file with a proper font size, always getting some lines or pages with very small fonts. I tried several options like changing the gap between lines, and between words. Here is what I do when using command lines. My file is Arabic.

-r -dev kpw -gtc 0.005 - gtr 0.02 -gtw 0.009 - p 1-10

I tried several values for gtr and gtw, but I didn't get it right. Attached is a file I tried.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3zazeel-test2.pdf (145.8 KB, 213 views)
Old 09-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #551
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
I sent you an email, but I thought, I should post here as maybe someone will be interested.

As I mentioned I'm having difficulty to get a pdf file with a proper font size, always getting some lines or pages with very small fonts. I tried several options like changing the gap between lines, and between words. Here is what I do when using command lines. My file is Arabic.

I tried several values for gtr and gtw, but I didn't get it right. Attached is a file I tried.
I'm not at my PC at the moment, but the pages look a bit skewed. Did you try adding the autostraighten option (-as)? It might do the trick.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #552
kim1406
Connoisseur

Quote:
I'm not at my PC at the moment, but the pages look a bit skewed. Did you try adding the autostraighten option (-as)? It might do the trick.
Yes, I tried autostraighten, but still it will give big and small fonts.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #553
VirtualMaestro
VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 5
Hi,
Thanks for great tool!
I have installed new ver v2.01 x64 and there is one annoying bug/feature - converting window isn't hidden when switch to another window, so it is always on top my.jetscreenshot.com/2520/20130914-ozkb-142kb.jpg
My OS: Win7 x64

Thanks
VirtualMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #554
VirtualMaestro
VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.VirtualMaestro got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 5
Another interesting thing is with default params new version 2.01 generates pdf almost 20% greater then old v1.62. Maybe there are some default params changed.
VirtualMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #555
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:

Part of the problem is that your document dimensions seem very large--13 x 20 inch pages--this was making the default output size very large. I used -ds 0.5 to scale them down to a more normal page size. After that, it was a matter of using a high enough value for -gtr and a low enough value for -ws so that k2pdfopt could correctly split the rows and words, and also using autostraighten. This is what I ended up with:

k2pdfopt -ds 0.5 -as -r -dev kpw -gtr 0.05 -ws 0.25 file.pdf

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools