Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
eko0724
eko0724 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Newbie picking from PRS-950 or PRS-650

Hey! I am new to here and a complete newbie to the ebook world. I was sent over here from slickdeals.net when I posted a thread with questions. So after a little more thought on what I want here I am. Here is my post from slickdeals:
Thank you so much for all this info!! If you don't mind at all would you mind giving me a little more help? From reading what you write and the fact that the Kindle to just for Amazon and doesn't work with any other format you would say that they Sony PRS350 would be the best? My thinking for the Kindle and really any e-reader was this:
1 Light weight
2. Not too big (Kindle/nook ish size not ipad size) I want something that can fit into my purse so I can take everywhere with me
3 Has a decent battery - can last for a few days at least or even like the Kindle a month would be wonderful on one charge
4 be easy connected to a computer - wifi is not necessary to me since I don't travel around the world and have computer access
5 screen can be viewed without problems in daytime and at night (with a light)
6 I really want to keep it under $200
But now I want it to be able:
7. I can load ebooks from borders, B&N, and pdf's etc. So pretty much any ebooks I want and still great pretty decent quality on it.
8. Color or not to color- I could go either way and in fact don't really know the difference in it.

But after reading a little more I actually ruled the pocket out and have decided that I wanted a touch screen so I am going with the PRS-950 or PRS-650 model. But I needed a little help, and I was hoping if you guys could be so kind and lend me a helping hand. From what I read the biggest difference between these two is the wifi and screen size, but my biggest concern is the ability to be able to read in daylight, such as at the park. And to be able to download from any site that I would wish and still be able to read clear without too mush hassle. I also don't want something huge but from what I understand these are about the same size with maybe the Daily Edition is Longer. Which would you recommend and why? Thank you again and I am open to all comments! Just please be kind to a newbie like me.
eko0724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
The 950 runs about $100 more than you want to pay, for internet access that you say doesn't particularly interest you.

B&N books cannot be read on any Sony reader.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
The larger screen and additional capabilities of the 950 make it the compelling choice.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
You might find this consumer guide helpful.

Also, the MobileRead Wiki -> E-book devices -> PRS-350/650.

Plus, the E-book device (E Ink, 2nd-generation) comparison matrix.

Last edited by boxcorner; 02-14-2011 at 03:53 PM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
amujee
Connoisseur
amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Voyage (soon, I hope)
Sounds like the PRS-350 would be a perfect fit. It has a touchscreen interface just like the 650 or 950.
amujee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The PRS-350 does have a touch screen, it's the older pocket edition that doesn't (the PRS-300).

I was deciding between the PRS-350, 650 and the 950 too, and just this weekend I ordered the 350 with the lighted cover. I liked the size, as I already have an old model (505) that is still working, and didn't want to have two of the same sized readers. Also, I plan on getting a Kindle DX to read PDFs, so I didn't want to have two large readers, either. The 350 came out to $129 USD, which was too good a deal for me to not take advantage of, in the end.

I don't care about wi-fi / 3g, so that didn't play into my decision, nor do I listen to mp3s on my reader, and I rarely use the expansion slot on my 505, so those factors didn't come into play either (the 350 doesn't have the expansion slot or the mps option; the 650 and 950 do. Only the 950 has wi-fi/3g.). If you plan on reading alot of PDFs (with graphs, pictures and such, as I find that text-only PDFs have tended to read very well on my 505), I say go with the 950. If portability is more important to you, go with the 350 or the 650. The 650 is still very portable, but the 350 has a better DPI (and a slightly sharper screen, so I've read.) This isn't an easy decision (I was actually mulling it over for a couple of months); I wish you all the best!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Here is a link to a site that has a picture of the three readers lined up, so that you can get a sense of their relative sizes:

http://tecluv.com/sony-prs-950-prs-6...ebook-readers/
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
1 Light weight-They are all very lightweight, the nook is heavier than the 950
2. Not too big (Kindle/nook ish size not ipad size)The 950 is the same size as a nook, the 650 is smaller.
3 Has a decent battery-My 950 lasts about 2 weeks on a charge, I believe the 650 is supposed to be similar
4 be easy connected to a computer-They should all connect just fine, some people do run into difficulties though
5 screen can be viewed without problems in daytime and at night (with a light)The *50s have very clear, glare-free screens
6 I really want to keep it under $200-The 950 is probably out of your price range, then, and it is unlikely the 650 will be on sale again soon because of supply issues
But now I want it to be able:
7. I can load ebooks from borders, B&N, and pdf's etc. So pretty much any ebooks I want and still great pretty decent quality on it.-Compatibility will be the same for any of the three
8. Color or not to color- I could go either way and in fact don't really know the difference in it.-There is no good color e-ink available right now, and lcd screens give glare in sunlight

The *50 series are all pretty much the same in the ways that seem to matter to you. All have the same kind of screen (though the 350 is reported to be a bit sharper than the 650 because they have the same resolution) and touch works the same. They all view pdfs well, though the 950 is best at it because of its size and landscape view. Some people are able to read pdfs on the 350 depending on their eyesight. Essentially they're all the same device, with just a few changes (350 lacks audio and sd card slot, 950 has wi-fi) here and there, and the obvious size difference.

You won't be able to read books from B&N without stripping the DRM since B&N uses their own DRM. You will be able to read books from anywhere that uses Adobe DRM (Borders, most other ebook sites).

May I ask why you have ruled out the 350?

Last edited by natasha_fawn; 02-14-2011 at 04:13 PM.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
eko0724

Wow you guys thank you so much for the help!
Everyone!
Ok so no to B&N sites with the sony, that's ok with me. For I was mostly looking at the Library and borders.com for there free books to download. I also do tons of reader reviews and it can be such a pain to read the books online & I hate to print them out and waste trees so pdf's were very important to me. Glad to know that the Sony was the correct choice then for this.
boxcorner: Thank you for that info! Will be spending more time reading up on the links you gave me, it really helps me out with all this info!
Latinandgreek: Thank you for the size pictures: it really helps to see them all compared together like that! Hmm I think I got my wires crossed a little bit with the 350 model, I went to best buy to check them out: hold them, see the size (they only had the 350 & the 650 in store not the 950) but I guess they had the older model of the 350 for it was not the touch screen at all and I just ruled it out completely for I was having a hard time messing with all the buttons, and told myself that I just wanted a touch and decided that I had to get a different model. And now that I see the all compared by size together I have to say that I think the 950 is too big for me, and now that I know the new 350 model is a touch screen I have to think again, but now between a 350 or 650. Picture free pdf's on your 350 look good? How about in sunlight? Like you I am not interested in the music to play, and wifi is not important to me since I can connect anytime I want. Would the main differences between the 350 and 650 be (and please correct me if I am wrong): screen size, weight, ability to add additional memory, and the colors they come in ??
Thank you again everyone for all help!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
You can see the differences between the 350, 650 and 950 here at Sony, including size and weight for each.

I'd also suggest the 350 as well that meets all your requirements. Not sure why you ruled it out, it's also touch screen identical to the 650 and 950, just has a 5" screen which makes it extremely easy to take with you everywhere. It's also true the text is slightly darker because it's the same resolution as the 6" screen as others have pointed out. The main difference between the 350 and 650 is that the 650 has an expansion slot, the 350 does not. But do you really need to keep more than 1000 books with you at any time? The smaller size of the 350 is perfect, I end up taking mine everywhere with me and it easily fits in any pocket. Not sure I'd trust it in my purse because of how I cram stuff in mine even on the rare occasions I do carry one, unless you have a flat side pocket where it won't get pushed on by a wallet or keys and possibly crack the screen.

Any of the 3 Sony models though will be easy to read in daylight as they all use the newest e-ink pearl screen, not color. If you're using it primarily for reading, I wouldn't recommend bothering to even look at color devices, they will be harder to read outside in daylight.

I just got my 350 on sale for $129, and I just noticed at the Sony site that they're offering $50 off on the 650 also. That sale might end today though. If you can pick it up somewhere local today that has a full return policy if you don't like it, possibly Best Buy, I'd strongly suggest that so you don't miss out on the $50 savings.

Calibre is terrific to use as your sole manager for your ebooks and ereader and will make transferring books over to the reader very easy, and conversions so the Sony can read them as well. There's a very active subforum for Calibre here where you can get any help you might need with it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Go for the 350, it is big enough to be read very comfortably and even slips into my evening purses. I can read a font size smaller than I used to do with my 6" reader as the higher dpi makes the font so clear and readable.

I love this little one so badly, I sometimes hope nobody will realize how much or they'll lock me up
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko0724 View Post
Hmm I think I got my wires crossed a little bit with the 350 model, I went to best buy to check them out: hold them, see the size (they only had the 350 & the 650 in store not the 950) but I guess they had the older model of the 350 for it was not the touch screen at all and I just ruled it out completely for I was having a hard time messing with all the buttons, and told myself that I just wanted a touch and decided that I had to get a different model. And now that I see the all compared by size together I have to say that I think the 950 is too big for me, and now that I know the new 350 model is a touch screen I have to think again, but now between a 350 or 650. Picture free pdf's on your 350 look good? How about in sunlight? Like you I am not interested in the music to play, and wifi is not important to me since I can connect anytime I want. Would the main differences between the 350 and 650 be (and please correct me if I am wrong): screen size, weight, ability to add additional memory, and the colors they come in ??
Thank you again everyone for all help!
Yeah, sounds like your Best Buy was one that couldn't get its act straight and put out a 300 instead of 350. You've got the main differences between the 350 and 650: screen size, weight, sd card slot, colors (350 in pink or silver, 650 in red or black in the US, some other options in other countries), and the 650 can do audio.

In sunlight, the screens look very similar to real paper. It's the same screen as the Kindle 3 has.

As for pdfs, if they don't have pictures and tables and they're made up of text, rather than scanned images, the reader should be able to reflow them well, or you could convert to epub. If they're scanned images you can use the program Briss to cut out white space to make it bigger on the screen, and there's a zoom option.

If you don't like the colors, decalgirl.com does skins (basically vinyl stickers that cover the entire reader) that can change the way it looks. They do pictures and solid colors, or you can get a custom one. So don't make your decision on color.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
eko0724

Thank you all again! I guess I am now on the right track, and boo on you best buy for not having the newer model of the 350 up and getting me all confused. I am glad that they will all work out in sunlight, also that I am on the right track about the differences between the 350 & 650 and now I just have to decide which one is right for me. Thank you all for the help!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #14
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There is only two things to decide:

1. Do you listen do audiobooks or music while reading? And
2. Do you need to have more than a 10year supply of books on board?

If both answers are no, the 350 will be perfect for you!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
There is only two things to decide:

1. Do you listen do audiobooks or music while reading? And
2. Do you need to have more than a 10year supply of books on board?

If both answers are no, the 350 will be perfect for you!
I think you need to add;

Will I miss that extra inch of size?

If the answer to all 3 is 'no', I agree with Poppaea, you may as well get the 350 and save youself a bunch of cash.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote