Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
altesc
Edge User

Dingo highlighting bug

Hi all

Whenever I highlight text in the reader it automatically grabs the entire line. Actually it grabs two lines even if you just tap a single word. I'm guessing this isn't a feature. Anyone else had this Problem.?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

I take it this is in a PDF? If so, it's a problem with how the PDF is structured internally (or so I was told a few months back when I saw the same issue in a PDF eBook). The eReader software is actually from Adobe, with some customizations by enTourage, so not sure what can be done.

Can you indicate the source of the PDF (was it generated by a desktop application - which one? Is it from an eBook store - which one? Is it an eBook - which publisher? etc.)?

EDIT: Oh, and try recalibrating your eInk screen (Menu bezel button, Settings, Sound & Display, Reader screen calibrator).

Old 09-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
altesc
Edge User

Hi boris thanks for the help.

I was referring to pdf files primarily and it appears that just about any pdf file I open has this problem. It used to work under the previous update though, with the same pdf files. I haven't checked any epub files yet.

Oh I did recalibrate the screen but to no avail...

Old 09-18-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

In that case, it might be helpful to contact Tech Support (techsupport@entourageedge.com). A sample PDF could help them analyze the problem...

Old 09-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
fgruber
Edge User

Yes I had that problem with certain pdfs. It seems to be an issue with pdf's made with an old version of Acrobat. If the pdf is made with Acrobat 9 it should be fine. You can try running the OCR recognition using Acrobat 9. That will fix the pdf IF the pdf comes from a scanned document.

If when running the OCR recognition you get the error cannot OCR because page contain renderable text then the only fix I have found is to export all pages as tiff. THen create a new pdf from those tiff and do OCR. A lot of work I know. It seems to be an issue with the reader Adobe's reader that the edge uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altesc View Post
Hi all

Whenever I highlight text in the reader it automatically grabs the entire line. Actually it grabs two lines even if you just tap a single word. I'm guessing this isn't a feature. Anyone else had this Problem.?

Old 09-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
altesc
Edge User

Hey I just figured it out. If the pdf is not added to the library it seems to have that highlight problem for some reason. Files in my library seem to work alright.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:34 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by altesc View Post
Hey I just figured it out. If the pdf is not added to the library it seems to have that highlight problem for some reason. Files in my library seem to work alright.
If it's not fgruber's suggestion that's actually in play but in fact whether or not the PDF has been added to the Library, then I would forward this tidbit of info to Tech Support.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
altesc
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
If it's not fgruber's suggestion that's actually in play but in fact whether or not the PDF has been added to the Library, then I would forward this tidbit of info to Tech Support.
Oh, incidentally, I did email the tech support about this, and it turns out that it's the type of pdf file. There's some issues with supporting TeX files somehow. Thanks for the suggestions.