Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #16
m0_joe
m0_joe began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Thanks for the replies, I just felt like venting. I love my Kobo and I am very protective of it. I think everyone should get one (mainly then Kobo will be quicker on the firmware update! ). In the last year I have read maybe like 5 books. Since I have gotten my Kobo, I haven't stopped reading (I think I am on book 6 in a month).

I guess I just wanted to point out that every technical device has bugs and the creators can't always anticipate what their customers want in advanced. It is clear from their software that they wanted to make it as simple as possible.

It's like buying a first run automobile. How many new cars have recalls the first year of production, and those guys have been making them for almost 100 years....lol.

I do think this forum is great! There are some great people on here willing to share their ideas and recommendations. I have learned a lot about correcting some of the deficiencies of the Kobo.

Well it's a nice day, I think I am going to sit by the pool and read a bit more!
m0_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I have two Kobos and they are both fine (with the usual caveats). I guess that means they are 100% without defects then, right? It seems just silly to me to even suggest that one person's experience with a very small number of devices says anything meaningful---sheesh!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #18
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Hey, anything new is going to have bugs (anyone use MS Windows, how many fixes are out for every version?) I'm very happy with mine, with all the caveats we all now well. Through this forum I've learned lots and have found work arounds for all my current problems and will patiently wait until the new firmware is availabe.

Long live Kobo!
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #19
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I'm sick of complaining. I'm not normally a complainer, but the Kobo has caused a lot of hassle for me.

Did I expect perfection? No, not really, but I did expect to be able to transfer the books I wanted onto it. And I did want to be able to adjust the font size.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #20
PenelopeWeaving
PenelopeWeaving began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Unfortunately I am having font size issues with a book that I purchased from Kobo - The Book of Awesome. This is the fifth book that I have downloaded and the first with font issues. Of course this makes me nervous about downloading others. I know people have talked about going into the bowels of the programme to delete stuff in order to rectify the font issue but I am NOT a techie and therefore, reluctant to do this.
PenelopeWeaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #21
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Personally, I'm a little tired of people who say "I'm happy with Kobo so the rest of you should shut up."

This isn't a Kobo PR page and many, many people are having legitimate problems with the device. This is the sort of place where those problems should be discussed. And if there are people who think it is so flawed that they want to recommend that others stay away, this is exactly the sort of place where they should express that opinion.

It's not the fault of the posters that there are so many negative opinions; it's the fault of Kobo for rushing a product to market without doing adequate testing. They're effectively using US as their product testers so that we can identify all the problems and allow them to make changes for the U.S. market. It's actually offensive that they've treated their consumers this way.

Plus, their customer service has been absolutely horrible -- they've invited public criticism.

There are people who are happy with Kobo, and that's fine. Their opinions should also be heard. I was also very happy with the parts of my Kobo that worked. But it would be unfair to potential buyers for me to muzzle myself so that the Happy Gang doesn't have to read negative comments.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:16 AM   #22
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeWeaving View Post
Unfortunately I am having font size issues with a book that I purchased from Kobo - The Book of Awesome. This is the fifth book that I have downloaded and the first with font issues. Of course this makes me nervous about downloading others. I know people have talked about going into the bowels of the programme to delete stuff in order to rectify the font issue but I am NOT a techie and therefore, reluctant to do this.
I had a similar problem with one book as well, Infinite Jest. After writing back and forth to Kobo, this is what they told me to do. I am not sure if it works, as my solution was to remove the CSS file from the book and then upload it onto my Kobo using Calibre, which fixed the problem.

This is what Kobo said to do:

We have had some issue with some books not changing font size properly. Redownloading the book to the Kobo eReader can fix the issue. Please try the following steps.

1 Sign in to your online Kobo account at www.kobobooks.com
2 Go to the "Library" and the "I'm Reading" section.
3 Delete "Infinite Jest " from your "I'm Reading" list. It is only temporary.
4 Plug your Kobo eReader into your computer and open the Desktop software.
5 Click on the "Update Library" button to remove the bad copy of the book.
6 Click on "Sync" to remove the bad copy from the Kobo eReader.
7 Eject and unplug the Kobo eReader to make sure "Infinite Jest " has been removed.
8 Sign in to your online Kobo account at www.kobobooks.com
9 Go to the "Library" and the "Trash" section.
10 Undelete "Infinite Jest " so that it goes back to your "I'm Reading" section.
11 Plug your Kobo eReader into your computer and open the Desktop software.
12 Click on "Update Library" to download a new copy of "Infinite Jest"
13 Click on "Sync" to transfer the new copy to the Kobo eReader.
14 Eject and unplug the Kobo eReader to make sure "Infinite Jest " has been loaded and is working properly.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #23
PenelopeWeaving
PenelopeWeaving began at the beginning.

I had to do a similar kind of thing after, as you also experienced, lots of letters back and forth with Kobo. I had downloaded four books on four different occasions using Adobe Books. Three of them were just fine but the fourth, wouldn't change font size and remained teeny tiny. So, I also had to delete the book from Adobe, go into Kobo, update library, plug in Kobo, and Sync. Now, all is well. I haven't found instructions to be very clear.
PenelopeWeaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:31 AM   #24
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mememememe View Post
Personally, I'm a little tired of people who say "I'm happy with Kobo so the rest of you should shut up."

This isn't a Kobo PR page and many, many people are having legitimate problems with the device. This is the sort of place where those problems should be discussed. And if there are people who think it is so flawed that they want to recommend that others stay away, this is exactly the sort of place where they should express that opinion.

It's not the fault of the posters that there are so many negative opinions; it's the fault of Kobo for rushing a product to market without doing adequate testing. They're effectively using US as their product testers so that we can identify all the problems and allow them to make changes for the U.S. market. It's actually offensive that they've treated their consumers this way.

Plus, their customer service has been absolutely horrible -- they've invited public criticism.

There are people who are happy with Kobo, and that's fine. Their opinions should also be heard. I was also very happy with the parts of my Kobo that worked. But it would be unfair to potential buyers for me to muzzle myself so that the Happy Gang doesn't have to read negative comments.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote