Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2006, 09:42 PM   #1
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
RTF Editor that supports /info block

Hiya folks.

I got tired of having to insert the /info blocks, or having to use Word to save a file and getting words idea of "Good RTF". So I wrote my own editor.

Get my editor here

It isn't done yet, but it'll update itself for your convenience as I add more stuff

I'm always happy to get feedback or suggestions too. Especially if the app doesn't work on your setup, which could be quite possible, since I'm using Vista.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Installs fine on XP Home edition. works as stated, I noticed it also reads txt files which is a help also. As to suggestions, just some way to automate the removal of paragraph ends from lines when the txt files have them on every line

Mark
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2006, 10:46 PM   #3
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMascaro
Installs fine on XP Home edition. works as stated, I noticed it also reads txt files which is a help also. As to suggestions, just some way to automate the removal of paragraph ends from lines when the txt files have them on every line

Mark
Hmm.. Interesting suggestion. The only problem I see is working out when a paragraph has ended. I'll have to think about it a bit.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:23 AM   #4
bkilian
Zealot

And the prize for the first book that completely broke my app goes to "Berserker" by Steve Jordan. No idea if the book's good or not, since I haven't read it yet, but it's certainly good for stress testing my app.

No new features in the new build, but the use of huge (2MB and larger) pictures in the file broke the RTF parser I use, and I had to modify it a little. A bonus of that is the files will now load and save a fair bit faster than before.

If you've already installed the app, you should get prompted to upgrade. (If you don't, close the app and open it again, it only checks at startup, and you only get prompted the following time you run it.)
Old 11-26-2006, 07:16 AM   #5
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I like to try the program but I don't like it needs an internet connection to install. I have a funny feeling when installing applications needs to go to internet.

Does this mean that the setup.exe is just an installer and gets the rest online?
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2006, 09:31 AM   #6
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian
Hmm.. Interesting suggestion. The only problem I see is working out when a paragraph has ended. I'll have to think about it a bit.
Two consecutive returns is the usual convention.

If that doesn't work, and the paragraphs have leading lines indented, you can look for the indent (leading spaces or tab) and put a return at the end of the preceeding line.

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Tried to install you app but all I get is some xml code in my browser. Any ideas? I use mozilla.

EDIT - Similar results with Internet Explorer.

Last edited by slayda; 11-26-2006 at 11:03 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #8
bkilian
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda
Tried to install you app but all I get is some xml code in my browser. Any ideas? I use mozilla.

EDIT - Similar results with Internet Explorer.
Interesting, what system do you have and do you have .NET 2.0 installed?

It seems like the Visual Studio generated web page is not detecting your system correctly, and as a result you're getting the XML displayed instead of sent to the right place to do the install.

Try this direct link to setup.exe and see if that works for you.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
bkilian
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
I like to try the program but I don't like it needs an internet connection to install. I have a funny feeling when installing applications needs to go to internet.

Does this mean that the setup.exe is just an installer and gets the rest online?
Correct, it's a special distribution model microsoft included in it's latest Visual Studio. I could also provide a standard MSI if needed, but then the app would never automatically update itself. I will probably provide a MSI once the code stabilizes to the point that it's not changing every day.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
bkilian
Mine did not update when I opened it, yes I was online. Also on the suggestion side is an update button for those who may not use it with a constant connection.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #11
bkilian
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMascaro
bkilian
Mine did not update when I opened it, yes I was online. Also on the suggestion side is an update button for those who may not use it with a constant connection.
Updates are not that important that they have to happen immediately, which is why I made the choice to only update on the launch after it detects an update available. (the other options was to check at every launch, and that slows down app opening time). I don't control how updates happen otherwise, that's part of the ClickOnce system.

The current version is 1.0.0.5, if you click the blue question mark button, it'll show you what version you have.

As an aside, I fixed the Firefox issues, it will now install correctly using firefox or IE.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #12
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Today I tried it from the second computer. Still the same problem = displayed xml only. I do believe smart client is for intranet only. Site is better be trusted or in intranet and a lot of such.
Can you please post binaries on the website?
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote