Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
ade_mcc
ade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Perelman, Yakov - Physics for Entertainment - Copyright Issue in the US?

1st post, please be gentle!

After a long on-going battle to downsize and make space in the house, I justified to myself the benifits of purchasing an ebook reader and two weeks ago, bought a PRS-300.

I downloaded Sigil one week ago and decided to throw myself in at the deep end and convert 'Physics for Entertainment' by Yakov Perelman, a text that I had read a couple of years ago in PDF format. I found that whilst an epub version was available from the same source, that it had been automatically converted and thus contained numerous OCR spelling errors, formatting issues and inconsistent image reproduction.

What I have now is a vastly improved version of the text both spell checked and formatted nicely, plus re-scans of all 155 PDF illustrations.

However, I am fully aware of the potential for breach of copyright issues and so ask for clarification/suggestions.

Am I correct that just because the PDF (and other formats) are available through www.archive.org, doesn't automatically mean that I can upload here?

If it helps, Physics for Entertainment was originally published in 1913 (according to wikipedia) and Yakov Perelman died in 1942.

Given that I am based in the UK, are there other places that I can safely upload?

In the worst case scenario where someone states that I cannot legally upload this document to the internet without breaching copyright, then no worries, I have learned a huge amount of HTML in this past week! I'll just have to work out what the next project will be....
ade_mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
IANAL, but I believe everything published in the US before 1923 is now out of copyright, and it would also be legit in life+50 countries (and in a couple of years in life+70 countries). Better to have someone else confirm that, though.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Sounds like an interesting book, so I hope to see the fruits of your labour!
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade_mcc View Post
Am I correct that just because the PDF (and other formats) are available through www.archive.org, doesn't automatically mean that I can upload here?
Nope - if it's on archive.org it's absolutely fine to upload here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
ade_mcc
ade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enoughade_mcc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thanks folks for a swift response - much appreciated! I've posted here.
ade_mcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade_mcc View Post
If it helps, Physics for Entertainment was originally published in 1913 (according to wikipedia) and Yakov Perelman died in 1942.

Given that I am based in the UK, are there other places that I can safely upload?
It is public domain in the US (it was published before 1923), it is public domain in Canada (its author died more than 50 years ago), but it is not public domain in the UK (its author died less than 70 years ago). So, MobileRead can legally host it, but you cannot legally upload it from the UK; whether or not you care about that, that's a different matter

Note, however, that the above refers to the original Russian text (assuming the original was in Russian, which I don't know). For any translation, one would have to consider the date of publication of the translation and the date of death of the translator.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If the English translation is on archive.org, however, that means that it is in the US public domain.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote